User created Video comp *Suggestion Thread*

Mitch_freeride

Likes Dirt
Ok rotorburn video makers
We always request it but nobody listens.
The people of 'Phat snaps' are doing it with their 'Photo a day' so lets start something here on 'Phat vids'.
Street cred is your winnings...

Suggest something you would like to see or do here...

Mitch.

Notes:
5th round is to be the finals.
2 categories; beginner and advanced.
First round is 'short vids' (30secs to 1min30sec) and will decide which category you get placed in.
Each round will have constraints for videos and those constraints will change between beginner and advanced categories.
I will be releasing a 1min video that will notify you as to the constraints and provide a 30sec example of the constraints at the beginning
of each new round.
All videos are to be hosted on Vimeo and preferably placed on private until submitted to that rounds designated mod. The mod will then
post all videos on the final day in the order of entrants below.
Each round will run like a MTB competition, entrants receive points according to placing and top 5 of each category compete in last round.

2nd = 40
3rd = 30
Participation = 10 or 15 on moderators decision.

Calendar for Submission:
31st January - Round 1 Due
31st March - Round 2 Due
30th June - Round 3 Due
30th September - Round 4 Due
31st December - Round 5 Due (Finals)

Allow 2 weeks for points to be tallied and finalists announced.

Entrants
  • Trouble
  • ben_rides_a_bike
  • Downhill Domination
  • Sam.
  • konakid4lyfe
  • Woffa
  • wertmewert
  • moodybluebob
  • leftykonashred
  • jakey_trickster
  • adman
  • Nick53
  • themightypen
  • Gluey_trails
  • 5h1f7y
  • Deviant_Devil
  • mty10@
  • Kizzmtbr
  • seanbabes
  • .BP.
  • damoone
  • r0ss_2489
  • sampo1
  • MountainBikeMike

Moderators
  • Maurice Santiago, Santim Media (management)
  • Mitch Pierias, Real to Reel Films (posting & management)
  • Kane Chenoweth, Clicked Media (competition constraints)
  • Ewan (co-moderation & judging)
  • Oliver Smith, Liquid Productions (co-moderation & judging)

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Perhaps video a day but you only upload one video, which woud be of the riding category. Then you could have set criteria or restraints eg. no zoom, no slow-mo, all slow-mo etc.
Sounds the goods Mitch.

Last edited:

adman

Likes Dirt
Damn!

But are you sure it should go here? Probably.

I'll delete my mellenia old one.

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mabey like 1week downhill, 1week street, 1week dirt.:confused:
Just so its not all downhill, that would get boring.

Mabey have a time limit each week for the vids. Quick an simple are great. Longer ones tend to get bit boring waiting for the good bits, unless you can really pull something together

Mitch_freeride

Likes Dirt
Perhaps video a day but you only upload one video, which woud be of the riding category. Then you could have set criteria or restraints eg. no zoom, no slow-mo, all slow-mo etc.
Sounds the goods Mitch.
Seems really hard to get a video up every day, it would have to be a month long project for everyone, at least.

But are you sure it should go here? Probably.
I'll delete my mellenia old one.
Dies out too quick, video makers don't even notice the thread is there.

adman

Likes Dirt
As Ty said... we should make comps on restrictions.

Perhaps even a comp for a week where you can only use 1 shot!

such as this

Edit : That wasn't the best example - but my point is to have a mad editing fest.

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Mabey like 1week downhill, 1week street, 1week dirt.:confused:
Just so its not all downhill, that would get boring.

Mabey have a time limit each week for the vids. Quick an simple are great. Longer ones tend to get bit boring waiting for the good bits, unless you can really pull something together
Some people don't have access to street/dirt/downhill riders or terrain.
So one set type of riding is n't really convenient for everyone.

Edit : That wasn't the best example - but my point is to have a mad editing fest.
Not quite sure I know what you mean?
As in you can only use one jump/chute/corner etc. jsut different angles and editing techniques?

Last edited:

Deviant_Devil

Likes Dirt
We have to work out where we want to put it, I reckon GMTB Discussion where it will get "noticed." Also I vote video of the month and I dont believe in genres. There should be a thread one week before the end of the month, where we can all submit our vids and have them voted on by our fellow rotorburners. what do you think?

Last edited:

Maurice.

Banned
Mitch for PM!

Thank you,
I can get you up a Park video on Saturday.

That kool?

I reckon time constraints should go up by 2mins each time.

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
We have to work out where we want to put it, I reckon GMTB Discussion where it will get "noticed." Also I vote video of the week and I dont believe in genres. There should be a thread one week before the end of the month, where we can all submit our vids and have them voted on by our fellow rotorburners. what do you think?
My question is how are we going to limit the amount of contenders?
Obviously everyone will want to join in, and they have the right to do so, but if we have too many video's it just makes it ridiculous.
How are people going to decide between perhaps 20 different videos?

I am going with a half-yearly video comp. Perhaps we have a qualifying stage, with a deadline for uploading and posting. Then top 10 advance to the finals?

Mitch_freeride

Likes Dirt
We have to work out where we want to put it, I reckon GMTB Discussion where it will get "noticed." Also I vote video of the week and I dont believe in genres. There should be a thread one week before the end of the month, where we can all submit our vids and have them voted on by our fellow rotorburners. what do you think?
GMTB is useless, this is a video comp.

I don't think the rotorburn servers can handle a Video of the week comp if it were to run like the PoD system.

I will run it all and submissions can be sent to me via PM or E-mail then I will post on due date on a created thread. I am not entering cause I am too busy for that kind of stuff, I really want to just push everyone and get the 'Phat vids' section pumping.

adman

Likes Dirt
I love this - simple and sweet. A new thread for each months movies.

Some people don't have access to street/dirt/downhill riders or terrain.
So one set type of riding is n't really convenient for everyone.

It's quality - not quantity. You don't have to enter every time bro.

Not quite sure I know what you mean?
As in you can only use one jump/chute/corner etc. jsut different angles and editing techniques?

Yep, just the one shot (perhaps one or two intro shots without riding) and just edit the crap out of the shot for 20 seconds. It would be able finding a shot that's interesting with lots of action.

I'm getting way to far ahead with this, but perhaps at the start of a comp with this restriction should be the complete unedited shot, so people can't cheat.

Also, on a serious note, I'm happy to organise this fully (ie, organise all the videos entered and set up the polls)

adman

Likes Dirt
GMTB is useless, this is a video comp.

I don't think the rotorburn servers can handle a Video of the week comp if it were to run like the PoD system.

I will run it all and submissions can be sent to me via PM or E-mail then I will post on due date on a created thread. I am not entering cause I am too busy for that kind of stuff, I really want to just push everyone and get the 'Phat vids' section pumping.
I think Mr. Deviant has a point - if only the video watchers vote, it won't always be fair. We want a huge spread of votes from all the people who watch them. Remember these will be good videos, often people will skip over half the vids because they sound average. We want the thread to be in a popular place where lots of people will watch it.

Deviant_Devil

Likes Dirt
Also, i believe once every few months we have a special video contest where you can only use one filming technique, which is set and decided on by the VOTM Mod Group. And in December all the VOTM are put together and put into an elimination (kinda like what Downhill Domination said) for the Video of the Year.