Using Proxies for USA shipping

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
For a country that prides itself on freedom the USA can be restrictive when it comes to trade.
Australia is locked out of some transactions of ebay USA or the price of shipping is more than the price of the product.
Twice recently I was refused the right to buy some bike related parts even though I won the bid.
One had forgotten to put it on the sale.
The other classic was that the bike company wouldnt allow their duallies to be disassembled into 2 smaller parts for a smaller volume.[I have done this with a frame from Titus no problem]
Look I understand it where they want to protect the rights of importers/agents to charge us more but where it is 2nd hand or unavailable I find that annoying.
Has anyone used "reship"or " priceusa" as a third party?

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just noticed Chop sticks started a thread last month now page 4 about this.
so does anyone think its worthwhile or too much trouble ?
ComGateway or Australia Post is any good?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks I just read their reviews ie shipto not so good.
I just am not that patient with bureaucratic nonsense like 50 emails to get it done.
My god I have experienced couriers in Australia where you want something picked up from a sellers address.ie skis dropsaw it can take weeks!!!

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use shipito.com. Their service is great. Its just a good working easy to use system.
Used them numerous times all went well.

Mica

Likes Dirt
Using the aus post service at the moment. Everything seems to take about 48hours to occur (delivery-notification-shipping out) though Christmas probably had a lot to do with that otherwise a pretty simple operation. Prices seems to be in line with others from what I hear and with 25% off for December made it cheap. Will just have to see how long it takes to turn up in AU??

floody

Wheel size expert
Used Shipito for a bunch of stuff from small parts up to frames and wheels, no problems.

Minlak

custom titis
I have never needed a proxy service but I have just found an item that no one is breaking the don't ship to Australia rule. Its almost 50% cheaper in US and I have never had this issue before. I get a lot of shoes from the US and have always been able to find a shop that will still send to me. But this helmet I want its locked down pretty tight. I am going to probably have a crack at the Aus post one or Ship to.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Having read reviews of shipito and priceusa most are positive but if something goes wrong its a nightmare .

redbruce

Eats Squid
For a country that prides itself on freedom the USA can be restrictive when it comes to trade.
Australia is locked out of some transactions of ebay USA or the price of shipping is more than the price of the product.
Twice recently I was refused the right to buy some bike related parts even though I won the bid.
One had forgotten to put it on the sale.
The other classic was that the bike company wouldnt allow their duallies to be disassembled into 2 smaller parts for a smaller volume.[I have done this with a frame from Titus no problem]
Look I understand it where they want to protect the rights of importers/agents to charge us more but where it is 2nd hand or unavailable I find that annoying.
Has anyone used "reship"or " priceusa" as a third party?
Have used MyUsa quite a bit and they have been good.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have use hopshopgo.com a number of times.

There is nothing worse than finding something you really want and they won't sell it to you or ship it. Recently found a pair of sneakers I have always wanted on ebay, guy had put US shipping only and ebay wouldn't let me bid, or even worse contact the guy to find out if he would ship. After much flaffing about managed to make it work, but geeze it was hard.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Just got a shipment today using UstoOz, (www.ustooz.com) run by an Aussie in the US, couldn't be happier. It's the first time I've used this type of service, I picked up a stack of Fox fork and shock servicing supplies for a stack cheaper than here.

They charge postage, plus 4.5% of the purchase price of your goods, with a minimum fee of $12 per shipment. My box was about 1.8kg, and my total costs using priority international mail, including the UstoOz service fee, was about $AUD73. I still came out about $160 better off than if I'd used local suppliers. I could have gone a slower shipping method and saved another $20 or so. My box was shipped from the US on the 17th December, got here today on the 29th, which with the whole Christmas period in the middle is a pretty good result I think!

Mica

Likes Dirt
Just an FYI my aus post deliveries have just arrived. Pretty quick shipping and the tracking is great. You get an email saying it's arriving as well as delivery notification. Missed the first package yesterday and got a text message to say it's at the local aus post shop for pickup. Good service!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
OK thanks I took your collective advice + bought a Santa cruz 5010 frame for my wife via Shipito.
So far so good only problem was the bike website wasnt happy with an Australia credit card address so had to do transaction via " Chat Now" .
So far so good.