V3 Spitty

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought this as a more trail friendly rig than the plow machine that is the g16. Wanted something to ride my local xc trails but still be fun to jump. I haven't taken it out for any proper riding yet due to stage 4 restrictions and my local loop being closed.

Got a little carried away with the build as usual.

XL banshee spitfire V3
Dhx2 2020
Manitou mezzer 29"
38mm nextie asymmetric rims. 29" front (hope pro 4) 27.5" rear (i9 hydra).
29x2.6 assegai 27.5x2.6 dhr2
Formula cura 4 brakes
Swissstop catalyst rotors 203mm
X fusion manic dropper post 150mm
Xt 12 speed groupset
Xt direct mount cranks
Joystick analogue carbon bars
Joystick binary stem

The mezzer feels amazing, I lowered it to 150mm from 180 which was quick and easy. They really made the fork very straightforward for home mechanics. I'll need to pull out the irt and give it some slickoleum as I think some pressure from the irt chamber migrated into the airspring.

The cura brakes feel very powerful compared to hopes and quadiems. Lever feel will take some getting used to, it's very soft. I have bleed them twice using adapters from a reverb kit a mate had.

Just riding around the streets it feels very lively and playful, can't wait to get out on some proper trails.

I want to chuck some mastic tape on the chain stay near the cranks as chain slap is pretty evident on the streets so will likely be epic on trails.

The internal routing was surprisingly easy as you remove the guides up near the headtube and it's gives you much more room to work the cables. Removing the rear shock also simplifies things.

One thing I noticed with the hydra hub is pedal kickback seems to be more present. Hard to compare it on this bike as I haven't used another wheels but on the g16 is was very noticeable coming of a i9 torch hub. Perhaps there is a sweet spot for engagement and more isn't always better.

Also keen to get a longer dropper so I can run it slammed.

This is the build:

XL banshee spitfire V3
Dhx2 2020 w/ 500lb valt spring
Manitou mezzer 29"
38mm nextie asymmetric rims. 29" front (hope pro 4) 27.5" rear (i9 hydra). 38mm external.
29x2.6 assegai 27.5x2.6 dhr2
Formula cura 4 brakes
Swissstop catalyst rotors 203mm
X fusion manic dropper post 150mm
Xt 12 speed groupset
Xt direct mount cranks 175mm 32t
Joystick analogue carbon bars 800mm
Joystick binary stem 35mm

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

peanut

Likes Dirt
Nice, does the 29 front lift the BB by much, Banshee's can take a normal angleset can't they?
I had a temporary mullet 140 29'er on a trek remedy while I was waiting for a warranty fork, I really liked it apart from the BB was just a bit too high. I could live with it if I could get the bb lower.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet looking bike you have there. Would ride, and it's in my size too!

Interesting to hear your finding the chain slap present. I've the same chainstay protection on my Paradox and it's near silent. Granted yes it's a hardtail but I would have thought it would be similar.

I did glue some velcro to inside of the upper seat stay where the chain might hit. On your frame it'd be invisible.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice, does the 29 front lift the BB by much, Banshee's can take a normal angleset can't they?
I had a temporary mullet 140 29'er on a trek remedy while I was waiting for a warranty fork, I really liked it apart from the BB was just a bit too high. I could live with it if I could get the bb lower.
Not too sure on how much it lifts the BB. I currently have the dropouts set in the neutral position but can adjust them into low. I read it is recommended to use a 29" banshee frame if running mullet to retain the geo but Keith recommended 140mm travel if going mullet on the spitty. I currently have it at 150 out front but it's easy enough to drop the travel further using the supplied spacers. Will require some experimenting to get it feeling right. Right now I'm happy with where it's at but time on trails will be needed to find the sweet spot.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Oh man - that looks sweet. I used to live vicariously through @Zaf but he’s slowed down on the new bike and gear purchases lately. Definitely living vicariously through your builds these days

Will you run this at Eatons for shits and giggles and to see how capable it is?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh man - that looks sweet. I used to live vicariously through @Zaf but he’s slowed down on the new bike and gear purchases lately. Definitely living vicariously through your builds these days

Will you run this at Eatons for shits and giggles and to see how capable it is?
Will definitely take it up to Eaton's! We still have to arrange a ride up there when it's allowed.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Lookin' sweet. Make sure you pressure up the IRT before main chamber. The other way around will alter main chamber pressure.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

Petero

Likes Dirt
Devastated I didn't notice the XL spitty when I posted in bargain buys, but your build has done it more justice than I ever would, and your riding no doubt would be 10 fold.

Looks beaut.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Devastated I didn't notice the XL spitty when I posted in bargain buys, but your build has done it more justice than I ever would, and your riding no doubt would be 10 fold.

Looks beaut.
Sorry you missed out mate. If they had an XL titan I probably would have grabbed that but a spitty will be more useful in my stable. I'm a hack trail rider but love a jump. Still haven't ridden this properly yet due to the stage 4 restrictions.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those Mezzers at 150 travel are looking quite choady :p
They're a chunky fork. Can't wait for the shakedown. They replaced some grip2 36 forks on my big bike. I've fully commited to the mezzer.