Van life

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Is there a camping life thread around? Love checking out everyone's set up. Some bits of van life seem so convenient but doesn't allow for the two kids. Those new dual cab transits are super cool though.

I'm restricted to a Surf with a hitch mount rack for bike stuff that makes it impossible to get into the back. Not ideal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't think I'd get much for the one that's out, the one due here next month might still have some value.
You know that you can get vans that have seats in them right? Mine was pure family action, hands down from generation to generation...until my friend borrowed it and killed the engine...then didn't think to crash it into a pole rather tried to get it fixed fruitlessly and at my expense. Just laid the seats down or folded them up depending on task at hand.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So jealous.
Like all good vans, this is white, and has a lack of windows.
True. Only problem with no windows is its a prick to reverse out of carparks. I had to put in a reverse camera that points left so I can back out without reversing into oncoming cars...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
True. Only problem with no windows is its a prick to reverse out of carparks. I had to put in a reverse camera that points left so I can back out without reversing into oncoming cars...
You’ll get better sleep though having less light come past shitty curtains.

Rig up an annoying reverse beeper!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Putting a roof pod tent on it next. That way I can set the inside up for bikes, genie, microwave, coffee machine...
It's got a beeper. Doesn't help when you are backing out and trying to see what's coming from the left. Camera does....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

People find themselves behaving in a less reserved manner when there are no windows in the back. But the look on passers-by's faces at 6am through the windows is priceless.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Putting a roof pod tent on it next. That way I can set the inside up for bikes, genie, microwave, coffee machine...
It's got a beeper. Doesn't help when you are backing out and trying to see what's coming from the left. Camera does....
Ah yeah, you did mention the tent.

Beepers just there to annoy people when your parking at bunnings to pick up a snag.

I know the hassles of shit visibility, don’t worry. Both cars have useless rear windows (dirty big toolbox on one, canvas canopy on other).

No camera on my landcruiser, no back window, just sidemirrors and a “good luck everybody” as I bounce it out at mach chicken.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I reversed a campervan into another campervan in my youth. We where both reversing out of opposite parks at Macdonalds. No major damage done, we then had breakfast together and talked about how shit vans are to reverse.
Do you have a floor plan? I mucked around with a few a couple of years ago but there was no bike storage included.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Keep it simple... I did 2 riding weeks in tassie in the back of my van, no pro install just folded the seats down chucked a mattress in, few storage tubs for food and clothes, awning and a basic cooking setup. Few days roughing it, a week on the river in derby, its surprising how much you dont actually need.
Its obviously different if you're doing it long term or trying to accommodate kids/partner. Most of our riding areas are within civilization, so you dont need to be completely self sufficient.