Vertical Hopping

I'm working on trying to hop straight up in the air or slightly sideway, not forwards, obviously leading to getting up on to ledges etc to the side. I can jump a fiar way to the side, and quite a long way forward on the back wheel, but am struggling with straight up. The technique seems to be to jump up, bring the rear wheel up under you, then put the rear wheel back down before you land. I'm wondering do you do like a pedal kick as you rise up or do you leave the back brake on while your doing it. If I leave the brake on as I jump up, I seem to go backwards a lot, but I can't seem to control the amount of pedal kick to go straight up... Any tips...!

Cheers
Tim

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Try doing it exactly as you are, and roll your wrists forward aggressively when you hop, and try not to yank your bars up too high, and keep your head over your stem.

You won't get as much height, but you will definitely get a more up and down hop.

The higher the bar is yanked up, the more backwards you go.

Last edited:

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Yes you do need to use a pedal kick (but it is only a small part of the move)
Yes you do need to release the rear brake

This stops you from going backwards but it doesn't provide the power of the move. The power comes from your body. Speed is also important, pull the bike up quickly underneath you.

Its like a forward hop but instead of pre-loading backwards and shooting forward with your body, you pre-load down (as if crouching on the pedals) and explode upwards, releasing the brake at the same time and taking the bike up instead of forward.