Ves 2014...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Folks the Vic Enduro Series has been launched so I figured it deserved a thread. With the first round to commence in April and a few changes to the series with a few new events on the cards, and a few changes to the series categorys as well. Check out the website... :mod:

http://www.vicenduroseries.com.au/

Having competed last year in a majority of the series, I am looking forward to this one... I must admit however I am a little disappointed there is no round in May as the gap from Start of April to end of June is quite a big one... That said there is Wombat 100, Odyssey, Forrest 6hr (not inc in series) and probably a dozen other endurance races between times. :thumb:

If last and previous years to go by it should be a great series.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Looks good hoping to make it to a few this year. Where is Jubberland? Doesn't show up on google maps.......

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks good hoping to make it to a few this year. Where is Jubberland? Doesn't show up on google maps.......
Jubberland is a state of Somalia... I never knew VES was going international this year! :faint2:

I think it is out near Heathcote / Castlemaine.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Jubberland is on private property, and is named after the owners, it's on the other side of town from the usual trails. They had the duael out there last year, and it used to be part of the series up until a few years ago, great track.

Few less rounds this year, but looking forward to every round. Bummed to be missing Albury this year, will be OS, that was one of my favourite rounds last year. Looking forward to what gravity alpine comes up with as well

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
3hr vs teams

Just visited the VES website

They complain about the lack of teams entering then laud the growth in the 3hr race.

Anybody else think these two thing are related?

IMHO the VES series should be all about 6hr races and teams should be encouraged, 3hr races should be another series.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just visited the VES website

They complain about the lack of teams entering then laud the growth in the 3hr race.

Anybody else think these two thing are related?

IMHO the VES series should be all about 6hr races and teams should be encouraged, 3hr races should be another series.
In my cynical opinion (flame suit on) 6hr solo is deemed too tough for many riders, so when the 3hr option came along, many riders saw that as something they could complete and enjoy at the same time, without breaking themselves.

But I still think 3hr should be an option in the VES, if only to keep the attendance numbers up. It's hard enough to organise a race these days without having to do it twice on different weekends and all the logistical nightmares associated with it.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
I like racing 3 hours, 6 is too long, and I'm not keen on racing in a team. If the VES is restricted to 6 hrs only I won't be there. No big deal obviously, but it looks like there are a lot of riders who feel similarly, hence the growth. If someone wants to run alternative 3 hr races that's cool, but obviously the promoters don't want to cut off their noses so I expect the 3 hr side to keep growing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

riderideride

Likes Dirt
If it means more people it's all good :) as a 6 hour pairs team though we do dread that time when the 3hr peeps start ;) traffic jam all over again!

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
bugger

I like racing 3 hours, 6 is too long, and I'm not keen on racing in a team. If the VES is restricted to 6 hrs only I won't be there. No big deal obviously, but it looks like there are a lot of riders who feel similarly, hence the growth. If someone wants to run alternative 3 hr races that's cool, but obviously the promoters don't want to cut off their noses so I expect the 3 hr side to keep growing

bugger we have room in our team. you were going to get an invite.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Jubberland is brutal. I attempted the six hour there a few years back and ended up a wailing, twitching, cramping mess on the ground after about 2 hours. House of pain.
I don't have an issue with the 3 hour race but think the format should be flipped. I think the 3 and 6 hour races should start at the same time as the already exhausted 6 hour riders seemed to get in the way of a few hot heads in the 3 hour race.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Since the flame suits are out .... The VES is an endurance series and 3hr racing is NOT endurance it is closer to ac2hr XC

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Jubberland is brutal. I attempted the six hour there a few years back and ended up a wailing, twitching, cramping mess on the ground after about 2 hours. House of pain.
I don't have an issue with the 3 hour race but think the format should be flipped. I think the 3 and 6 hour races should start at the same time as the already exhausted 6 hour riders seemed to get in the way of a few hot heads in the 3 hour race.
Agree. Great idea!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Yup, totally agree - was super keen on the 3 hour series last year until I saw the 3 hour race started at 1pm. I would rather get up early and race then finish late and get home late in the evening.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If there was no 3 hour solo. The choice being VES 6 hour solo or an XCO series with race time about 2 hours which would you choose? Seems the preference is coming full circle back to XCO. It'd be great to have an XCO series!

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
My focus is xco, I use these 3 hour races to get endurance into the legs earlier in the season. Personally I think it would be great if we could get a calendar that supported a logical build up to the National xco and endurance championships. That means dividing the year up with say a 3 hr series running for most of the year, with an extended xco series and 6/12 hour series coming in in the second half of the year, providing a natural build to State championships and then the national championships. Promoters could be encouraged to plan and position events to fit in this broad framework. I think state and national series need to regain their prominence in the calendar and be rightly seen as a goal for all competitive riders. End rant ;-)

akashra

Eats Squid
In my cynical opinion (flame suit on) 6hr solo is deemed too tough for many riders, so when the 3hr option came along, many riders saw that as something they could complete and enjoy at the same time, without breaking themselves.

But I still think 3hr should be an option in the VES, if only to keep the attendance numbers up. It's hard enough to organise a race these days without having to do it twice on different weekends and all the logistical nightmares associated with it.
And that's fine - 6hr should be considered the premier category - like Elite.
3hr becomes your "also ran", your participation category - just like teams should be treated.

If there was no 3 hour solo. The choice being VES 6 hour solo or an XCO series with race time about 2 hours which would you choose? Seems the preference is coming full circle back to XCO. It'd be great to have an XCO series!
Oh, don't get me started. When I saw the published calendar expletives were certainly uttered - not only did they put a round over top of our round of the InterWinter series which was using the same date as the final round of last year (we've swapped from being round 3 to the final round), but they also made it double points.
Actually, expletives are still being uttered because we had other, bigger, XCO plans for that event on Saturday.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
And that's fine - 6hr should be considered the premier category - like Elite.
3hr becomes your "also ran", your participation category - just like teams should be treated.

Oh, don't get me started. When I saw the published calendar expletives were certainly uttered - not only did they put a round over top of our round of the InterWinter series which was using the same date as the final round of last year (we've swapped from being round 3 to the final round), but they also made it double points.
Actually, expletives are still being uttered because we had other, bigger, XCO plans for that event on Saturday.
Have the inter winter dates been released??? My favorite series!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I hadn’t really set out to make this a “flame” thread but itseems to have head that way…

I think the three hour should remain as an “also ran” own class.It’s a class that is full of participants that just aren’t interested intackling something like the 6hr, it builds the numbers and atmosphere. I feel thetiming of the races needs to be altered though, on quite a few occasions lastseason I was swamped by 3hr riders starting their race because I’d pedalledthough the feed zone a few seconds earlier… Self-seeded mass start maybe?

It’s worth keeping in mind also that Victorian Enduro Seriesis the only “state” series in Vic and would be fairly safe to say probably thebest of its kind in Aus ;-)

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
6 hour riders start at 10am, 3 hour riders start at 10:20am or vice versa
Would this work?
Fields to tend to spread out pretty quick.