VIC VES improvements for 2013

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
So we were all sent surveymonkey to find out how to improve the series for 2013.
What did you all say?
What were your ideas for 2013?

I love the series and requested a max of 6 races
For the clubs that miss out thought a sep. 3 hour solo series could work.
Any other ideas out there?

Knut

Troll hunter
Happy for a discussion as long as it is not two or three people wandering off on a tangent and claiming to represent the community.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Why would you want to cut it back to 6 rounds?
I raced at 6 rounds this year and thought it was a great series. I hope to do them all in 2013. Only your best 6 results count anyway.
I would like to see a grading system or a sport class so the baggers have a shot at a trophy.
I really don't think there is too much that needs attention. More of the same would be great.

softek

Likes Dirt
VES is BEST

Guys, last year I got to most of the events, missed 1 , not more then 2, this year, family grew and I could only get to like 3 or 4 events, if you ask me, I wish there was one every month except for in January. All events were awesome, not sure what you can do to really improve it, its perfect. However some consideration with the course is to allow at least 300 meters for the solos to be able to eat and drink. Besides from that, really enjoyed the series.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I suggested reducing the number of categories for women. Particularly those categories that consistently only have one entrant. Other than that I think its awesome! :)

monc

Likes Dirt
I think we need to find ways of encouraging MORE women to compete, and reducing categories is the last thing you want to do to acheive that. I'm a 38 (my god how did that happen!) woman, and I'm more inclined to enter events which have a 30-39 category where I'm more likely to have a chance than against the younger ladies.

Anyway, you can always compare yourself against the other women in other categories in the results, and generally at the enduro series everyone starts and races together to you know how you're going relative to the other women while you're out there, which is the important thing. It's not like everyone rides around with their category marked on their jerseys.

I entered about half the series this year and wanted to do a few more, but life (trying to get a house ready for sale....) got in the way. My suggestion for next year is for a change in the rules about proportion of male:female laps allowed for a place/earning series points - we always do as close to half each as possible, and I find it annoying to get beaten by a team with a slower female who only does 1/3 of the laps, it's not really a level playing field. I also acknowledge that it's not a race for sheepstations, and we need to encourage more women, so there does need to be some flexibility to enable people to have a go at a race and do a lap or two to see how much fun it is.

All the races I did enter were very well run, there's some great tracks out there in Victoria, we'll definitely be back next year! :love:

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I was talking about the XC series. Sorry should have specified. They were in the same survey. The reason I suggested less categories is because to me having a category for just one entrant is silly. I am a woman. Personally I prefer to race against other women, not just myself and then get first place for it. Anyway we have discussed this before. It was the only suggestion I put forward in the survey.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Some of the entrance numbers at some of the VES races were pretty low compared to other rounds. 9 rounds is a fair few - with so many other races going on, racers do have several options just about every week. Personally I think 9 rounds is 2 or 3 too many but that's just my opinion - I would love to race more VES rounds, however life and other commitments do get in the way from time to time.

Of course with the World 24's in Canberra next year, the VES series could have a fair few more competitors using it as training/build up to October.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I would love to see Forrest and Bendigo join the series. They are both great events but this year I did not attend the Bendigo 6 hour because it wasn't a VES round. I still went to Forrest however. How good is Forrest? :)

Knut

Troll hunter
I would like to leave the venues as is for year 13. Minus Beaconsfield.

My highlights for the entire years of VES were these 2013 courses:

Kurrajong.
Albury.
Ballarat.
Albury
Blores
Castlemaine
Buxton
Officer

I have been riding at Bendigo since 1997 and am glad to see it off the VES calander. This is definately not a personal attack against the club or the people there. There is just better courses elsewhere.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
With so many clubs wanting to host a round of the VES, what is wrong with rotating the series between venues.
You would be riding about 14 different tracks over 2 years before you get to ride it again. I know some clubs would not like to miss a year, but its the only fair way of doing it.

As said in an earlier post, I to think 9 rounds is to many.

These are just my thoughts.

softek

Likes Dirt
I would like to leave the venues as is for year 13. Minus Beaconsfield.

My highlights for the entire years of VES were these 2013 courses:

Kurrajong.
Albury.
Ballarat.
Albury
Blores
Castlemaine
Buxton
Officer

I have been riding at Bendigo since 1997 and am glad to see it off the VES calander. This is definately not a personal attack against the club or the people there. There is just better courses elsewhere.
you must really like Albury, I thought Bendigo was great fun

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
1 vote for Bendigo as well.

So...does anyone actually know anything about the 2013 series? Can't see anything on the MTBV calendar, but the rest of the calendar is fast filling up.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Call has gone out for clubs to put in EOI for hosting, so I imagine we'll be hearing something in the nearish future.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Bendigo and Mt Major weren`t on the list this year.
I hope they get a go next year.
Maybe a ballot to see which venues host a round is in order.
Maybe even a system where those that miss out one year automatically get a round the following year and the rest go into the draw for the remaining rounds.
Cheers.
MH

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
For the clubs that miss out thought a sep. 3 hour solo series could work.
Any other ideas out there?
A 3 hour solo series sounds interesting - in some cases you could race in the morning and be back at home by early afternoon to get the household chores done :)

Perhaps one venue does the 6 hour and the other venue runs a 3 hour - no idea if that's viable - just putting it out there.