Vibration in back wheel, any suggestions? see pic

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just developed a slight vibration, actually it won't even go round, should I place the tyre in the green receptacle behind?

Only kidding, rode for 2 hours this morning and thought I felt something,then this arvo went to move the bike...

Attachments

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
It's not to bad. Just let the tyre down, then use a roll of electrical tape(preferably black and 3M brand) and wrap it around the tyre and rim to repair. You will need to wrap about 100mm(4") on each side so you get a slight taper up to where the bulge is and a complete standard issue roll should be used. Then pump the tyre back up and she'll be right. Worked for me as a kid!! ;)

Disclaimer: None of the advice stated above in this post should be attempted.

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
So I have had this happen twice to me with the UST ignitor, I took it back to the shop the first time the tyre was off the rim but it still had a rock hard bulge.. The sales guy was not interested in showing it to the distributor, he said the ply had delamed due to a hit, so I bought another one and same thing happened this time with Stan's in it, I was told that it was not covered because Stan's "delams" the ply.... What BS..

Anyway I should have taken it to BA, they would have had it warrantied for me. Anyway as much as I loved them I don't run them anymore as the last time it happen it happened I got off to inspect the bulge and the tire blew, I had stinky stan's crap splattered on me and I had to walk 5k back to the car..

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
So I have had this happen twice to me with the UST ignitor, I took it back to the shop the first time the tyre was off the rim but it still had a rock hard bulge.. The sales guy was not interested in showing it to the distributor, he said the ply had delamed due to a hit, so I bought another one and same thing happened this time with Stan's in it, I was told that it was not covered because Stan's "delams" the ply.... What BS..

Anyway I should have taken it to BA, they would have had it warrantied for me. Anyway as much as I loved them I don't run them anymore as the last time it happen it happened I got off to inspect the bulge and the tire blew, I had stinky stan's crap splattered on me and I had to walk 5k back to the car..
I had a similar problem with a UST ignitor just before Xmas. The tyre was about 2 months old, I use my own sealant mix (just Latex and water) and as I was walking out the door for a ride noticed a section of tyre missing that was as if someone ripped one of the lugs off, exposing the bare casing underneath... about the size of a 10c piece..

Tyre went in the bin, but clearly there seems to be an issue with the Ignitor UST tyres and the rubber delaminating from the carcass.

I had been a big fan of the Ignitors in the past and always kept an "emergency" set in the house cause they were a good tyre for the price.... n'er again I tells ya... I have had too many problems with all Maxxis XC tyres now, especially their paper thin sidewalls on the Larson and Crossmarks.

Its back to my fav combo the Racing Ralph and Small Block 8.

Had the same thing happen on three different tyres (all from different manufacturers ), on three different bikes. In fact one was a brand spanking new, very well known, and possibly the most utilised DH tyre in the marketplace and it bulged within 40m of passing through the start gate of a race run- needless to say I was more than surprise when it happened. Guess like anything, there's a few lemons that come out of the manufacturing plant every once in a while.

NSR

Likes Dirt
I'd wear eye and ear protection when taking that tyre off..... Heck, I'd get someone else to take it off.
Did you ride the bike with that bulge, or did it happen afterward (somehow)?

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I'd wear eye and ear protection when taking that tyre off..... Heck, I'd get someone else to take it off.
Did you ride the bike with that bulge, or did it happen afterward (somehow)?
It wasn't that bad when it blew out for me, it did give me a start though as the first didn't blow. Also the bulges happened while I was riding, much fun....