Vibrocore 350 vs carbon

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Hi lads, building the wheels up next for this build and still can't decide on rims. Have spent some solid time on various carbon wheelsets and only enjoy the sensation out of the corners, otherwise not phased. Is anyone running the vibrocore 350 rim after using nobl/zelvy/enve.if so, are you getting any benefit in the corners? Or still quiet vague like a traditional alloy rim?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'm interested in this feedback too. I'm tossing up between a set of the new we are one composite rims or the vibrocore.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Built a pair last year and sold my Zelvy immediately. They track as well as carbon but are way more supple and plush through the chunder. They seem laterally stiff and radially compliant at the same time, I like them very much and won't be going back to carbon in the foreseeable future.

Spank now have a 359 vibracore rim developed specifically for the rear. It has a slightly taller profile (19mm v. 17mm) for more impact resistance but keeps the same internal width for uniform tyre profile.

kten

Built a pair last year and sold my Zelvy immediately. They track as well as carbon but are way more supple and plush through the chunder. They seem laterally stiff and radially compliant at the same time, I like them very much and won't be going back to carbon in the foreseeable future.

Spank now have a 359 vibracore rim developed specifically for the rear. It has a slightly taller profile (19mm v. 17mm) for more impact resistance but keeps the same internal width for uniform tyre profile.
Anyone got any feedback coming a decent set of carbon rims :p (but seriously has anyone?)

Boom King

Anyone got any feedback coming a decent set of carbon rims (but seriously has anyone?)
Never had an issue with my Zelvy wheels, aside from a few broken spokes (they were the early ones with straight drilled spoke holes), the company itself was a whole other story. @The Duckmeister rebuilt them before I sold, including drilling the spoke holes on an angle for better nipple alignment.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Cheers boom King, all the reviews didn't really go into the cornering factors. How are yours around the eyelet? Seen too many spanks pull through in older options. I've considered using washers if this is an issue.

Boom King

Cheers boom King, all the reviews didn't really go into the cornering factors. How are yours around the eyelet? Seen too many spanks pull through in older options. I've considered using washers if this is an issue.
No issue at this stage. I used Sapim Polyax nipples which give a good nipple / rim bed interface.

Check with @Nerf Herder to see if he's had any warranty issues? I doubt that he would have.

Last edited:

kten

What would pass? Lb? Btlos? We are one?
I've had a set of EIE carbon wheels with DT350 hubs that I'm sure are very similar to the BTLOS/LB/Zelvy versions. I was curious about the carbon rims that are meant to have a little more compliance like the reserves or We are one or maybe the Enve M7 series and how they compare.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I often wonder if the much-lauded suppleness of the Reserve rims comes down to the fact they're only offered in 28H drillings (ignoring the 29er DH rim, and gravel-bike 650b/700c options).

Boom King

You are welcome to ride mine if you like @Sethius. I'm riding the Sunday at Black Hill on Saturday, can bring the Rune if you'd like a spin?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
You are welcome to ride mine if you like @Sethius. I'm riding the Sunday at Black Hill on Saturday, can bring the Rune if you'd like a spin?
I will be back at work, more houses to sell. Bring on this bond for 15% for the government, means many many deals for me. One less excuse for people who aren't emotionally ready to commit to hide behind. Should see a great result for Bankwest and BankME.

Last edited:

Boom King

@Boom King are you running inserts? Any dings if you aren't?
No inserts. Put a small flat spot in the rear last year at a KOB round but that was because I was too lazy to put some air in before a practise run. Not a single ding otherwise and that's after plenty of You Yangs, Macedon, Maydena, Red Hill, Lysty etc.

Boom King

I'm not traditionally hard on my wheels though. 80kg and run 22 psi front 25 psi rear. 2 psi more both ends at the Youies.