[VIC] Marysville - Lake Mountain Fire Relief Ride

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any Farker er... Rotorburners doing it? I'll be the roadie with hairy legs in mis-matched lycra if you want to say hi.

I've foolishly signed on for the 140km. Haven't trained much, been doing a 60km hilly daily commute though.

Will do the Eltham>Whittlesea>Kinglake>Eltham ride as a trainer this weekend.

What have others been doing as training?

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well not that anyone cares but it was a great event. Beautiful weather, good crowd. Nice to see the community coming out to cheer the riders on too. Amazing and horrifying to see the devastation in Marysville & Narbethong.

The first relatively flat 118km was fine, then they slugged us with a 22km mountain climb at the end, loads of people dropped out on the climb. It was nasty.

Highlight for me was hitting the snowline & seeing patches of snow amongst the blackened trees and riding through clouds. Oh, and finishing, 5 hours, 39 minutes of torture, well actually, only the last hour & 39 minutes was torture really..

Lowlights are the saddle sores, I had blood patches on my chamois, I could barely walk after the finish line.

I shouldn't laugh but when driving back from the finish there was a fat dude with a nice looking Pinarello wearing a tour de France king of the mountain jersey pushing his bike up the last 22km climb looking horrified. My bike envy made the schadenfraude a little sweeter...

s73v30

Likes Dirt
Ahhh damn really wanted to do that but other sporting commitments wouldn't allow me. Good that the weather decided to clear up for it would have been a perfect day for a nice long ride.