(Vic) Red Hill Gravity Enduro

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
$95 to go to an otherwise free-to-ride location for two days, with no lift assist, just to ride tracks with bunting along them instead of no bunting like any other day...?
I think I can echo the general sentiment here... it does seem pretty excessive.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This event is value compared to the 'hour of power' xc event at $50-60, now that was excessive.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
$95 to go to an otherwise free-to-ride location for two days, with no lift assist, just to ride tracks with bunting along them instead of no bunting like any other day...?
I think I can echo the general sentiment here... it does seem pretty excessive.
IMO, $95 is ok given the cost of running the event. No quibble with the club making good money either, it's juniors at $80 which seems excessive.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
IMO, $95 is ok given the cost of running the event. No quibble with the club making good money either, it's juniors at $80 which seems excessive.
Yes and no, I guess.
It seems excessive to me for a shuttle-free event is all... I'd rather pay $120 (for example) for a shuttled format than pay a little less for a 'ride up' format, wasting precious practice run time, and be painfully tired come time for race runs.

Would I be wrong in thinking that extra $25 per person would cover shuttle running costs at 250 people?
$6250 is more than enough for fuel and whatever else for the weekend, surely.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone who uses the trails, a couple of times a week, I am more than happy to pay the entry fee, so long as some of the money goes back into improving the trail network. I also pay a membership to the club just to support the greater good. Every little bit helps with making it a better place to ride.
I am fairly sure most locals that ride there regularly will feel the same.

That said, I can see how the cost could seem prohibitive if you were travelling across town to attend an event at a seldom ridden (by you) trail network or wanted to enter a couple of kids.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yes and no, I guess.
It seems excessive to me for a shuttle-free event is all... I'd rather pay $120 (for example) for a shuttled format than pay a little less for a 'ride up' format, wasting precious practice run time, and be painfully tired come time for race runs.

Would I be wrong in thinking that extra $25 per person would cover shuttle running costs at 250 people?
$6250 is more than enough for fuel and whatever else for the weekend, surely.
The thing is, there is already a fairly long wait time to do your single run down each stage. Shuttling will just cause more congestion and wait time and not give any more runs as you still need the spacing between riders. Enduro is a ride up and down format anyway...

moorey

call me Mia
The thing is, there is already a fairly long wait time to do your single run down each stage. Shuttling will just cause more congestion and wait time and not give any more runs as you still need the spacing between riders. Enduro is a ride up and down format anyway...
No one is asking for shuttling. I think we're suggesting that the price equates more to a shuttled event, and the expense that that incurs.
Like BK, I'm not really complaining about the adult price, more about the junior price...which is also a shortened event.

teK--

Eats Squid
No one is asking for shuttling. I think we're suggesting that the price equates more to a shuttled event, and the expense that that incurs.
Like BK, I'm not really complaining about the adult price, more about the junior price...which is also a shortened event.
Agree with your points. It was ezka that asked for shuttles ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Your feedback has been noted, and I will forward that to the event committee. It's too late really to change anything for this year given we've already opened and received entries, but I'll see if it can be reviewed for next year.

This event is value compared to the 'hour of power' xc event at $50-60, now that was excessive.
I agree, but was outnumbered when discussing that aspect at committee level. :pout: We did - for want of another benchmark - align it with the Vic XC Series pricing, so maybe they're a bit excessive too.... But that's a subject for another topic.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
wasting precious practice run time, and be painfully tired come time for race runs.
It's Enduro, not DH. The whole point is that you need to be fit enough to do the climbs and still have enough energy to ride well on the descents. Have you ever tried pedalling to the top of the Red Hill tracks? Takes a lot less time than shuttling.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
all the enduro events ive been to have been ride up. not sure what you're getting at.
All the Enduro events I've been to have been shuttles and painful waiting around in queues to get in minimal practice runs. That was with Alpine Gravity though, hopefully there has been a move away from that format.

moorey

call me Mia
Only been to one enduro that was lifted. That was Buller, and not all sections.
Enduro shouldn't ever be shuttled....and should be a little cheaper than DH because of this IMHO

slowmick

38-39"
I would expect enduro to cost a more to put on (or require more volunteer resources) if it is over more than 1 track - more complex timings and more track to mark and marshall and cover for first aid. 1 track for the event and it is downhill-lite.

Props to Ducky for taking the comments on board and back to the committee. :thumb:

moorey

call me Mia
I would expect enduro to cost a more to put on (or require more volunteer resources) if it is over more than 1 track - more complex timings and more track to mark and marshall and cover for first aid. 1 track for the event and it is downhill-lite.

Props to Ducky for taking the comments on board and back to the committee. :thumb:
We used to run multi track, unshuttled races back in the early 00's before it was cool. Used the one timing system. Didn't even have RFID etc then. Must be a lot easier now..and most events I've been to, there not a different finish line for each stage (usually only 2).

All that's immaterial. Great tracks. Great event. Kids prices too dear. :kiss:

dl79

Likes Dirt
It's a fundraiser to build more trails for you all to ride???

You get a free pizza or pie meal from local traders and beverage included after the race.
Professional first aid covering a massive area.
Permits
Timing equipment
Rider packs
Course maps
Course marking materials and signage for 30km of trail
PA system hire
Generators
Toilet hire
Etc etc all cost money

We strive for the best event experience for riders. This costs money to provide but the experience for the entrant is #1.

Unfortunately the club doesn't have the luxury to run shuttle day fundraisers as the YYMTB crew do to raise funds. We are left with running a small number of events to fund our volunteer trail works with materials, tools and to be able to engage professional companies for big jobs.

Hope to see you guys there. It will be a rad day.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The cost is on par with every other large scale gravity enduro event in Aus..

Last edited: