(Vic) Red Hill Gravity Enduro

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Other than juniors, who are also running shorter course.
U15,U17 and Sport. Mens and Womens for those categories.

The expenses are considerable, last year over half the entry fees taken where lost in some sort of expense, be it volunteers, first aid, timing, lunches to put it into some context.

moorey

call me Mia
U15,U17 and Sport. Mens and Womens for those categories.

The expenses are considerable, last year over half the entry fees taken where lost in some sort of expense, be it volunteers, first aid, timing, lunches to put it into some context.
Half hey! Also known as 100% profit.
Try taking a kid to few races. Becomes impossible to convince mum.
I know the context. Was probably running races while you were still on training wheels :whistle:
Joking...I know you're a wrinkley....
We managed to keep it affordable and viable for people to bring young kids.

Last edited:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$95 to go to an otherwise free-to-ride location for two days, with no lift assist, just to ride tracks with bunting along them instead of no bunting like any other day...?
I think I can echo the general sentiment here... it does seem pretty excessive.

The MTBA National Rounds range from $100-$120, the EMS Shimano Enduro series in QLD is $75, WAGE are $65.

So the RHGE while certainly not the cheapest its not the most expensive, and considering you get nothing for racing a national round and $1k prize money for elite men/women it makes the RHGE start to look more reasonable.

The club could certainly drop the cost, but it comes at expense of the event. $10 less and riders dont get lunch, $20 less and the prize money significantly reduces, $30 timing runs at absolute minimum spec which can create delays, $40 first aid gets skimped on.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The MTBA National Rounds range from $100-$120, the EMS Shimano Enduro series in QLD is $75, WAGE are $65.

So the RHGE while certainly not the cheapest its not the most expensive, and considering you get nothing for racing a national round and $1k prize money for elite men/women it makes the RHGE start to look more reasonable.

The club could certainly drop the cost, but it comes at expense of the event. $10 less and riders dont get lunch, $20 less and the prize money significantly reduces, $30 timing runs at absolute minimum spec which can create delays, $40 first aid gets skimped on.
I would prefer if you did not skimp on first aid. I need it regularly.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know the context. Was probably running races while you were still on training wheels :whistle:
I said over half.... just trying to show how much money is spent, the club is out to get more trail on the ground and run good events its as simple as that and at some point we make a profit that I hope can be spent this year all things going to plan.

Im sure you did manage to run races for kids, but im tipping it was XC format with a very simple timing system (if any) and minor first aid costs?

It seems to be the biggest critics of GE costs are either those who only ever race DH or XC. If you have entered any other GE race you would expect costs similar to what I posted in my other post.

Either way this years event will be another great event, everyone who raced last year all had something good to say and when hopefully later this year people will start to see where the funds are headed too.

moorey

call me Mia
I said over half.... just trying to show how much money is spent, the club is out to get more trail on the ground and run good events its as simple as that and at some point we make a profit that I hope can be spent this year all things going to plan.

Im sure you did manage to run races for kids, but im tipping it was XC format with a very simple timing system (if any) and minor first aid costs?

It seems to be the biggest critics of GE costs are either those who only ever race DH or XC. If you have entered any other GE race you would expect costs similar to what I posted in my other post.

Either way this years event will be another great event, everyone who raced last year all had something good to say and when hopefully later this year people will start to see where the funds are headed too.
You tipped wrong. Dh. Multi track, timing systems used.
Difference is we recognized the burden on parents trying to race with kids, and weren't trying to make big money. The few kids that would enter don't break the bank.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You tipped wrong. Dh. Multi track, timing systems used.
Difference is we recognized the burden on parents trying to race with kids, and weren't trying to make big money. The few kids that would enter don't break the bank.
Awesome, well done catering for young kids it will always be a struggle for us as our hill is short and steep and many struggle to ride up just once.

Unfortunately for us, parents want these for their kids but are not prepared to make them happen by organizing them and as with any club volunteers are always stretched, but you have given me an idea for a future event so thanks for that. Hopefully it will see your kids racing over this side this year.

teK--

Eats Squid
I suspect the cost of insurance and permits has gone up significantly since you ran events as well.. unfortunate side effects of our litigious society and fun police.

moorey

call me Mia
I suspect the cost of insurance and permits has gone up significantly since you ran events as well.. unfortunate side effects of our litigious society and fun police.
Race prices were around $35 for adults, $20 for juniors...insurance costs were relative. And now, like then, MTBA insurance was mandatory, taking the pressure off the club.
I'm not trying to sabotage or derail a great club and event, I just have the feeling that the people defending the juniors prices don't have kids to factor in.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Awesome, well done catering for young kids it will always be a struggle for us as our hill is short and steep and many struggle to ride up just once.

Unfortunately for us, parents want these for their kids but are not prepared to make them happen by organizing them and as with any club volunteers are always stretched, but you have given me an idea for a future event so thanks for that. Hopefully it will see your kids racing over this side this year.
I think the point moorey is making is that $80 seems excessive for a junior. If they were priced at $65 then moorey and his son would probably both be racing.

In reality, how many juniors will enter out of the total 250 cap? The reduced revenue would be a small price to pay for the goodwill generated and the fact that the club would be cultivating the next generation.

moorey

call me Mia

Like Boomking says better than me, it's only going to be a couple of kids. I never asked to dramatically reduce the adult price.
Incase you missed it, I have an 11yo who'd kill to race this, and I'm gutted I can't come, and you bet, I'm disappointed I won't be there. I have a horse in this race, not just a generic whine.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Our permit costs are substantially more than other events because of the simple fact that we have to go through two land managers, not just one. The council permit is the one that puts the squeeze on.

Three Things;

1. I'm very happy to pay the entry as I'm sure the trails aren't cheap to build or maintain. People put enormous amounts of time in to prepare for these types of events and the club income will only be 20K ish... Sounds totally fair to me!

2. This is going to be my first ever MTB event. I'm PUMPED AS AND CANT WAIT!

3. I heard there is a new trail for the event. Has this been built yet and can it be ridden? The only reason I ask is I wont be able to make it to the Saturday practice (kid duty) so I'm hoping to get there and have a hoon on it beforehand.

Jordan