[VIC] Wombat Classic Sat 5 Mar 2016

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden there before. Which one's Distillery?
From the Wombat 100k event last year (different organizers), see their map below of their 50km course; Distillery starts at point #11 and finsihes at point #4. Point #4 is close to the new Wombat Classics Food/Drink Station on Burnt Mill Road.

Distillery is pretty much all fun descending single track southbound from #11 except for some initial fire trail. Northbound back up to #4 is pretty much all a firetrail climb.

http://wombat100.com.au/course-overview/50km/

Last edited:

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Not sure what is going on. Posted replies to your questions about 7 hours ago. Don't know why they haven't shown up.
Until you hit 20 posts its on a moderated basis, takes a few days and i noticed it too but the admins will get to approving them, once you hit 20 its all good.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Not sure what is going on. Posted replies to your questions about 7 hours ago. Don't know why they haven't shown up.
Until you hit 20 posts its on a moderated basis, takes a few days and i noticed it too but the admins will get to approving them, once you hit 20 its all good.
Thanks Surveyorcam. They are showing up now, and exactly what I wanted to know. I'll try to get out there for a ride in the next few weeks to see how doable it is. I'm not sure I'm a racer.......actually, I'm pretty sure I'm not a racer, but this event looks like something I could get on board for.

I understand that posts are moderated, but its a PITA then they then show up in the thread stream where they were originally written. If Surveyorcam hadn't posted his comment, I probably wouldn't have gone back a page to see what he'd written. Maybe now would be a good time to make another five or six posts?

Thanks Surveyorcam. They are showing up now, and exactly what I wanted to know. I'll try to get out there for a ride in the next few weeks to see how doable it is. I'm not sure I'm a racer.......actually, I'm pretty sure I'm not a racer, but this event looks like something I could get on board for.

I understand that posts are moderated, but its a PITA then they then show up in the thread stream where they were originally written. If Surveyorcam hadn't posted his comment, I probably wouldn't have gone back a page to see what he'd written. Maybe now would be a good time to make another five or six posts?
Racer or not I think it is a pretty approachable course. There is a lot of single track which will make it quite tiring. But there's not that much climbing in it and the technical difficulty is quite low. You can get support at the food stop 3 times during the race if you completely run out of steam, it's easy enough to pull the pin and get back to the start finish area on the roads. The riding is a bit old school, barely a switchback or a berm in sight and plenty of ruts and roots to test your ability at picking a line. Hope that helps.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Hi Everyone, a bit more news regarding the race. We have decided to not charge for the 2 Junior categories that are listed on entry zone. So racers 16-17 and 18-19 will get to race for free as well as a much shorter race for the smaller kids. I will also run the junior categories pretty much straight into the 45km loop doing away with the start loop. The 2 racers that have already paid will be refunded there $40 when they pick race plate likewise for the people that were charged $50 inserted of $40 while the promo was on they will receive their $10 back at rego (i have a list).

Darren Davis

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
I'm really looking forward to this race. Timing is great for me as it's 6 weeks before the GTE. What time is the race start? I want to work out if I take the train down from Bendigo.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
race start is a gentleman's time of 11, youll have heaps of time to get the train: maybe you should just ride the feeway as a 75km warm up?

from the station its a solid 5km out to the race venue with a bit of climbing, perfect warm-up

Last edited:
race start is a gentleman's time of 11, youll have heaps of time to get the train: maybe you should just ride the feeway as a 75km warm up?

from the station its a solid 5km out to the race venue with a bit of climbing, perfect warm-up
It's such a solid 5km, it is in fact closer to 8km.

slowmick

38-39"
Is there a cutoff time to finish the race? Am keen but not the fittest rider around. i think i overlooked the word "race" when i entered...

Still time for more training i guess.

Daniel Hale

there will be some sweep riders -after you go past the rest stop after 33km you do do a short section then turn back..means you'll miss about 4km of climbing. expect there to be quite a few sloe riders though -we aren't pushing the race among elite guys..who should be at the national rnd toowoomba
if its going to be too late we prob will ask you to take one or more short-cuts to get back, but we haven't set on a definite cutoff time

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thank's for the reply Daniel - I'll let the boys know :thumb:
carry a tent in case its an overnight job.:lol:

no really this is an ideal event for any level I reckon. you'll find you'll just roll along with riders at your pace. wombat single track has plenty of rolling terrain to catch up to the skinny ones.

slowmick

38-39"
Ages ago I did the 90 km Gut Full marathon with two mates. We managed to be the last three to finish and the last riders in three different categories. They had packed up the finish line when we got there. Saw the winner in the car park. He said he was impressed we kept going for so long... it was a long day in the saddle.

Tip for young players - don't do a 90km MTB race the morning after a mate's wedding.

Daniel Hale

yep everyone is doing the same 50km course -from 15-17yrs & up, there will be a fairly short race [loop style] for small kids at the start/finsih line, something like 15-20 mins plus a short loop, il have a strava link for you tomorrow night [we are still adding/removing small sections]