Victorain Road Trip

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we're all starving uni students, so i guess we will have to see how we go with the budget! But yeah, all good suggestions.

Has anyone done anything like this, i would also like some advice.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being on a budget and thinking bang for buck , Buller is you're number one priority. You'll get 20 runs in for the day for a $50 lift ticket. Good tracks too , you won't get bored. Beauty has a few different runs too , all good quality , a days fuel doing shuttles will be $40 or so there and its 80ks off the Hume highway. Not a huge detour. You Yangs and Ballarat tracks can be pushed back up so they're cheap options too.

Mt Stanley , as cool as it is , is a long shuttle (30 - 40 mins) and a bit out of the way unless you're planning on visiting Beechworth as well. The tracks in Beechworth are fun but nothing hardcore. The DH track at the MTB park is only a short run but can be shuttled.

If it was me , I'd go : (based on value for money and quality tracks.)
Stromlo
Beauty
Buller
You Yangs
Ballarat

...maybe Thredbo on the way back if you've got any $$$ left. And if you're passing through Albury and have an afternoon to kill , then the tracks are worth a look.

As far as I know Ararat and Baw Baw are closed to riders.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what all that looks like...

Think i might give thredbo and baw baw a miss, other than that all the others pretty much link up.

Attachments

Last edited:

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My list would be;

Mt Stromblo
Mt Buller
Mt Beauty
Thredbo
Mytleford
Barjarg (ride day/race)
Long Gully (ride day/race)
You Yangs
Ballarat
Maldon (small mining town, awesome tracks)

And see if you can hook into some links about secret trails.

Remember the Victorian State Series is coming up so maybe you could hook into some races aswell.
Or come down in December to see the nationals round at the You Yangs

Howie66

Likes Dirt
You Yangs and Ballarat tracks can be pushed back up so they're cheap options too.

Hey if theres 3 of you the You Yangs u dont need to push back up. When 3 of us go in one car we go 2 at a time, and the 3rd person drives around the great circle drive and picks us up from Drysdale Rd carpark.

Takes about 30 minutes return, but its good for the 3rd person to cos he can have a rest and is fresh ready for another couple of runs. And you get the good tracks, (7,10,12) and i go via track 9 as well, which finishes at the drysdale rd carpark. It isnt the best track, but its still good fun. I'd rather ride track 9 than walk back up track 10!!

So you get to do 2 tracks each run..

So it can be shuttled, just takes a while.

Usually what we do also is 3 of us all go in seperate cars, all park down at drysdale carpark and walk up. Then each time we do a run we get in someones car and drive around, leaving that car at the stockyards carpark. Last run tho wen all cars are back up top u need to push back up as well tho. But in a day we walk twice, and get in 8 track runs!!!

But u will probably only have the one car so do it the first way I said.

Hope this helps

Howie.

Last edited:

foets

Likes Bikes
Beechworth - MTB park and Woolshed track.
Mt Stanley.
Albury - I believe there is a track around there.
Maldon - great shuttles (our local)
me and a mate hit up beechworth for a few days a few weeks ago. Woolshed is plenty of fun, not very tech but fast a flowy and easy to shuttle. The downhill track is fun enough but pretty short and the freeride trail has recently been pulled down. Jumps trails has been done up so all the jumps are tabletops and not overly challenging but def worth a look for an arvo.

Locals told us that stanley is pretty tough to shuttle, need a 4x4 and its a rough 30 min ride to the top, suggested to us that it might not be worth the trouble.

hope that helps

aceyone

Likes Dirt
Not sure how literally you'll be following your map, but cripes... don't bother driving back up thru Canberra after Thredbo... just keep driving over the top and down thru Corryong and hook back up with the Hume Hwy in Albury/Wodonga.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure how literally you'll be following your map, but cripes... don't bother driving back up thru Canberra after Thredbo... just keep driving over the top and down thru Corryong and hook back up with the Hume Hwy in Albury/Wodonga.
haha, the map is in no way literal.
I think we are now looking at heading from Canberra to Albury, then making our way down to melbourne. Giving thredbo a miss.

molzy13

Likes Dirt
This is what all that looks like...

Think i might give thredbo and baw baw a miss, other than that all the others pretty much link up.
to get from buller to maldon its quicker if you go through mansfield, then seymour, bendigo then to maldon. its about a 3 hour drive with stops

and then ballarat is only an hour away from maldon

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
done the vic trip twice in last four years aweek each time. Straight to threbo then mt beauty (big hill track) then to brights track (illegal one) then mt stanely (2wd does shuttles easily ).Then off to mt buller all these tracks are long and fast except buller which is good for some less demanding runs after days at the others , have visited beechworth mtb park and woolshed worth a visit but i wont be going back going again. In feb doing it again ,two weeks this time be looking at granton rd . kinglake,try to get a few at yackandandah with permission and then you yangs from its reports then back along princess hwy to bairnsdale up to batemans bay and finally the funnel web at wandanian no matter which way or what tracks you ride the vic trip is worth doing and all should try it atleast once :D