VIC Victorian Downhill Series 2019/20 season dates

Koper25

Likes Dirt
VDHS is back for 2019/2020 with five awesome rounds this season.

We're in the middle of rebuilding the website, but there will be more info on vdhs.com.au soon.
In the mean time, keep an eye on Facebook and Instagram.

2019/20 season dates are:
Round 1 - Barjarg, 9-10 November 2019
Round 2 - Narbethong, 30 November-1 December 2019
Round 3 - Mt. Buller, 18-19 January 2020
Round 4 - Mt. Baw Baw, 15-16 February 2020
Round 5 - Mt. Beauty, 28-29 March 2020.

See you out there!

Koper25

Likes Dirt
VDHS should run U15 girls @Koper25. Hard to encourage new young girls into the sport without an appropriate class.....
There's a womens sport class this season for beginner riders and there's also a novice class where people can come and try the sport for their first three races.

The VDHS committee decided that there aren't enough women racing to be able to run more than two classes and there aren't enough volunteers to support it either.

moorey

call me Mia
@Koper25 Hey Kris, was prolly you I was talking to via VDHS messenger, so I won’t rehash, but hopefully an u15 girls could be considered in the future. I know of at least a couple of other young girls who I can’t convince to try out the Vic series, due to being very intimidated by no junior class. I think if it was offered and promoted, more would come.
My 11yo and her 13yo friend will be doing their first proper race at Bargarg. I’m scared, and excited.

PS, I think smaller cash prizes and just cheap medals for junior juniors would keep everyone happy.

Enough of that. Hoping my back is recovered in time to race. See you there.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
There's a womens sport class this season for beginner riders and there's also a novice class where people can come and try the sport for their first three races.

The VDHS committee decided that there aren't enough women racing to be able to run more than two classes and there aren't enough volunteers to support it either.
Its kind of a chicken and egg thing though. Maybe more girls will race if they have a suitable category, our sport is growing after all. If you build it, they will come....

Why are more volunteers needed to run an extra category?

Koper25

Likes Dirt
@Koper25 Hey Kris, was prolly you I was talking to via VDHS messenger, so I won’t rehash, but hopefully an u15 girls could be considered in the future. I know of at least a couple of other young girls who I can’t convince to try out the Vic series, due to being very intimidated by no junior class. I think if it was offered and promoted, more would come.

My 11yo and her 13yo friend will be doing their first proper race at Bargarg. I’m scared, and excited.

PS, I think smaller cash prizes and just cheap medals for junior juniors would keep everyone happy.

Enough of that. Hoping my back is recovered in time to race. See you there.
That was Ant, but I've seen the convo. Unfortunately cash prizes aren't an option. After elite prizes and the new rider support program (getting VDHS riders to Nationals and World Cups) the series is almost at a loss. All the product prizes that non elite groups get are donated by the series sponsors.

Its kind of a chicken and egg thing though. Maybe more girls will race if they have a suitable category, our sport is growing after all. If you build it, they will come....

Why are more volunteers needed to run an extra category?
Like you said, the sport is growing. The series needs more people overall help run it effectively, it's not just about running one extra category.

It's my first season helping out with VDHS the committee, there are <10 volunteers organising five rounds with the current categories and it's all they can take on at the moment.

Keen to take part in VDHS for the first time. Is Barjarg as gnarly as it seems?
It's as gnarly as you want it to be, there are B lines for everything, just make you you get a good track walk in and take it easy :)

moorey

call me Mia
That was Ant, but I've seen the convo. Unfortunately cash prizes aren't an option. After elite prizes and the new rider support program (getting VDHS riders to Nationals and World Cups) the series is almost at a loss. All the product prizes that non elite groups get are donated by the series sponsors.
Cool. No issue with no cash. I think it’s unnecessary anyway. No one is there for money. Can’t see how they almost lose money though. Our club makes good money on DH races, and it’s cheap entry with capped low numbers (decent cash prizes in all categories).
Happy for clubs to make a good profit, it all goes back into growing the club, free shuttle days and junior development anyway.
Cheers for the reply. See you there.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Cool. No issue with no cash. I think it’s unnecessary anyway. No one is there for money. Can’t see how they almost lose money though. Our club makes good money on DH races, and it’s cheap entry with capped low numbers (decent cash prizes in all categories).
Happy for clubs to make a good profit, it all goes back into growing the club, free shuttle days and junior development anyway.
Cheers for the reply. See you there.
Sorry, I should have worded that better. VDHS does make money, but after elite cash prizes and the new rider support program there isn't enough money available to offer cash prizes to other groups.

Also, VDHS only charge a small amount per rider for clubs to host a round, and most of the money made from an event goes back to the host club, not VDHS.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Can someone explain VDHS to me. I was hoping my first race would be Buxton, rain postponed that to April.

I see that VDHS Mt Buller is on in Jan and I think I might enter, however I am definitely not good enough to race Elite.

Do they have an open category for first timers?

moorey

call me Mia
Can someone explain VDHS to me. I was hoping my first race would be Buxton, rain postponed that to April.

I see that VDHS Mt Buller is on in Jan and I think I might enter, however I am definitely not good enough to race Elite.

Do they have an open category for first timers?
VDHS doesn’t race Buxton. Was close on the weekend. (Narbethong).
Purely DH racing.
You’re thinking of Vic enduro series (also, not Vic Gravity enduro series/tour).

If you DO mean DH, race ‘sport’

gillyske

Likes Dirt
VDHS doesn’t race Buxton. Was close on the weekend. (Narbethong).
Purely DH racing.
You’re thinking of Vic enduro series (also, not Vic Gravity enduro series/tour).

If you DO mean DH, race ‘sport’
Sorry shouldn't have even mentioned buxton, its not related to VDHS. There was another unaffliated, non DH event hosted there the same weekend.

Thanks for clearing up the category. I assume you can do the race on an enduro bike?

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry shouldn't have even mentioned buxton, its not related to VDHS. There was another unaffliated, non DH event hosted there the same weekend.

Thanks for clearing up the category. I assume you can do the race on an enduro bike?
Absolutely. There’s a very competitive short travel separate class...but many ride enduro bikes in all categories.
If you’re old (above 15 :D) and new to DH, race Sport class on your Enduro.
Depends on track, too. Buller more suited to DH bike, but absolutely fine on 160mm.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Absolutely. There’s a very competitive short travel separate class...but many ride enduro bikes in all categories.
If you’re old (above 15 :D) and new to DH, race Sport class on your Enduro.
Depends on track, too. Buller more suited to DH bike, but absolutely fine on 160mm.
Whilst on the subject of Buller, what's the deal with non MTBA affiliation for their round of the VDHS @Koper25 ?