Victorian mtb race calander...

batesy

Squid
Gday,
Just did a xc race on sunday at avoca, and am keen to get into a few more but finding it hard to find a calander or anything?
This race was a standard xc race with set laps, im guessing the norm is now more enduro type events? 3-6 hours etc.... also do the fat tyre flyers still exist?

Cheers

moorey

call me Mia
Gday,
Just did a xc race on sunday at avoca, and am keen to get into a few more but finding it hard to find a calander or anything?
This race was a standard xc race with set laps, im guessing the norm is now more enduro type events? 3-6 hours etc.... also do the fat tyre flyers still exist?

Cheers
That was the last for this year of the Interwinter series. There are other races coming up in the VES, and our local club will hold a low key local series. Where you based?

batesy

Squid
That was the last for this year of the Interwinter series. There are other races coming up in the VES, and our local club will hold a low key local series. Where you based?
Yeah i was aware that was the last for the interwinter series, im based in whittlesea, north of melb. I think ill have a go at a couple of the enduro events i think there is one in bendigo this month... what club are you with?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I think Facebook is a good source of info for upcoming events, I see info there more than here on Rotorburn. Each club has it's own presence on FB plus there are a multitude of cycling groups for you to join.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Similar boat. I haven't raced since high school but have been upping the training this winter and thought I'd like to try a few races this coming season. But yeah, finding it hard to get info on anything but the VES. I would've thought they'd be a normal XC Victorian series too but I guess if the money is in endurance riding then that's what's going to be popular.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The Yowie (run by GMBC held at the You Yangs) is on the 7th of Oct, the Red Hill enduro is open for practice on the 7th and racing on the 8th of Oct.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
VES seems to have survived where a XC series didn't because I think the team aspect of the endurance format appeals to more people. The XCO format is typically more intense riding, which possibly puts people off.

The old State XC series died about 6 or 7 years ago, but last summer there was a "reborn" Vic XC Series, which may surface again next season.

VES (Vic. Endurance Series) runs from April to November, with a race each month except July (usually, some years August has been the rest month).

In addition to the aforementioned Yowie, Geelong MTB Club host the Gazebo 3x3 series; as its name suggests, three rounds of three-hour races.

GMBC and Lysterfield also both run "no frills" Friday twilight racing, so check both of their websites for details throughout the year.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This debate rages almost endlessly and there seems to be no solution is sight.

- Organisers can't hold events because no one turns up
- No one turns up because of a multitude of reasons (Travel times/fees/same old tracks etc)
- Formats don't ever change
- XC is not 'cool'
- XC is HARD.

The interwinter series was a great series and one I competed in for a number of years running. The variety of events was sensational.
I think club racing is great, it's friendly and relaxed but also can provide some really quality fields (GMBC anyone)

I've had to drop off for family reasons, I suspect a lot of people in the 30-40yr range are in the same boat.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some good info here. Cheers guys. I was looking at doing the Ballarat VES as it's the closest to me but it's been cancelled by the looks. I'm in Bright on the 7th of Oct so that eliminates those events (but I still get to ride Bright so happy days!). I've entered the Ride Daylsford event at the end of Oct with some friends (148km road) but looking forward to doing a MTB event.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Some good info here. Cheers guys. I was looking at doing the Ballarat VES as it's the closest to me but it's been cancelled by the looks. I'm in Bright on the 7th of Oct so that eliminates those events (but I still get to ride Bright so happy days!). I've entered the Ride Daylsford event at the end of Oct with some friends (148km road) but looking forward to doing a MTB event.
https://www.facebook.com/The.Brackenbury.Creswick/

Is a pretty good, standalone event (as apposed to a full on race). Plenty Gorge club get riders there, Astro Boy Racer was there in all his hipster glory. Even moorey didn't manage to taint it with his presence. Mix of trail with predominantly single track, with a bit of forestry tracks and a smidge of bitchy.

batesy

Squid
Cheers for all the info, bracken-berry sounds interesting I'll check it out for sure, and I'll give a few enduros a crack, just miss the old hardcore xc races