Video makers 'post here'

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Will this system be able to edit AVCHD files from a 550D with these specifications.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10Ghz
Memeory (RAM): 2GB
System Type: 32- Bit Operating System

Editing on Adobe Premier Pro CS5/Sony Vegas Pro 9

I really need to know so i can tell my teacher if i can use it for my assignment.

That's my school laptop.
It'll struggle I reckon.

And Brindog,

Why don't you jsut chuck the card into your camera and see if it works. If it doesn't film for any longer then 4 seconds (shuts off, terminates autonomously) then you need a new card, because it's too slow.

Also, why get a zoomfinder? There is one built into your 7D? Just press the + and - button to zoom x5 or x10 and you can focus much better. If anything, get a little hood so you can see the finder easily in bright situations.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Ogio one seems a bit small but the Dakine ones seem great. They do look a lot better than the Lowepro ones but I have a feeling I will be paying a lot extra. Anyone know any online shops which stock them so I can get an idea on prices. I can get the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for a little over $100.
Good luck finding one for the price of the 400 AW. I just got a Dakine Mission photo bag in the mail, not here yet but I'll let you know how it goes. Buying from the U.S. is a lot cheaper, see if you can split an order with another person because the shipping is like $100 for the bag alone. Bag itself was like $130 from dogfunk.com

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Gluey_trails said:
Also, why get a zoomfinder? There is one built into your 7D? Just press the + and - button to zoom x5 or x10 and you can focus much better. If anything, get a little hood so you can see the finder easily in bright situations.
A Z-Finder is a Loupe made by Zacuto. It magnifies the image 2.5 times (or 3x depending on model. I would highly recommend using one when shooting video with a DSLR, especially handheld. The extra contact point of the Loupe around your eye really helps to stabilise your shots. Also, it's much easier to pull focus during a shot with some sort of Loupe. The x5 and x10 magnification built into the camera can only be used when you are not recording. This makes it extremely hard to pull focus while shooting given the DSLRs generally shallower DOF.
I use an LCDVF as it's a bit cheaper than Zacuto but just as good. It's not ideal for every situation But it's a must for handheld unless you have a rig with a 7" LCD.

Onto lenses, I think I I've said it before on this forum but I wouldn't recommend any L series lens as your only lens on a crop sensor DSLR especially when shooting video. For one, they just don't go wide enough once you take into account the 1.6x crop. Secondly, they don't have any IS. Unless you absolutely never shoot handheld, I would recommend an IS lens. Not only is a DSLR's form factor terrible for video but the rolling shutter effect is magnified greatly by small vibrations, knocks etc.
A fantastic lens is the Canon 17-55 2.8. It's expensive but super sharp, and fast at a constant 2.8.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Thats alright im used to slow rendering. It takes 6 hours to render normal deff from DV tape for like a 6 min video on my desktop

brindog

Likes Dirt
thanks, Gluey, vtwiz, Nick, and DD

Well my card runs fine while filming so it should be good, I like the idea of the Z-finder as Im used to normal camera's, and I would image it will be a lot clearer to see, and also "O" glare.

At the moment I'll stick with my current lens, but I'll upgrade a bit down the track, first though I'll have a bit more of a play with filming with it, to make sure I want to do down that track before a chuck my hard earned cash at some new gear.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Will this system be able to edit AVCHD files from a 550D with these specifications.

I really need to know so i can tell my teacher if i can use it for my assignment.

That's my school laptop.
You'd want atleast 4GB RAM.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck finding one for the price of the 400 AW. I just got a Dakine Mission photo bag in the mail, not here yet but I'll let you know how it goes. Buying from the U.S. is a lot cheaper, see if you can split an order with another person because the shipping is like $100 for the bag alone. Bag itself was like $130 from dogfunk.com
E-Global, an Australian store have it for $157 + postage. Fairly steep if you ask me for a bag. They also look very bulky/not very appealing and have that 'I've got shitloads of camera gear in this bag, mug me' look about them. Although the main compartment has heaps of room I don't think the pocket for other stuff at the front is big enough for what I'm using it for. The bag is very well thought out though.

Just been researching the Dakine bags. The 'Reload' seems far to big for what I'm using it for. Therefore I'm tossing up between the Sequence and the Mission Photo. The Mission Photo doesn't seem as bulky and doesn't even look like a camera bag. Also is cheaper and has lots of pretty colours ha. Got a few problems with it though. First of all I'm not sure the Camera Block will be deep enough to fit a gripped 60D and that would be my main reason for going the Sequence instead. Other thing is that the Mission Photo seems like it doesn't have a deployable rain cover although I've heard that is does as well so might have to wait to see if yours does. Lastly the problem I have with the Dakine bags is that they only include two dividers in the main section which could be a pain and I might have to buy more. If the Mission Photo will fit a gripped 60D I will most likely be buying it from here for $93 or here depending on shipping costs. No one seems to have it in Australia for a decent price.

Onto lenses, I think I I've said it before on this forum but I wouldn't recommend any L series lens as your only lens on a crop sensor DSLR especially when shooting video. For one, they just don't go wide enough once you take into account the 1.6x crop. Secondly, they don't have any IS. Unless you absolutely never shoot handheld, I would recommend an IS lens. Not only is a DSLR's form factor terrible for video but the rolling shutter effect is magnified greatly by small vibrations, knocks etc.
A fantastic lens is the Canon 17-55 2.8. It's expensive but super sharp, and fast at a constant 2.8.
Sort of irrelevant now but my 24-105L has IS. The main reason I bought it is because I knew I was going to get a wider angle lens in the future.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Nick53 said:
Sort of irrelevant now but my 24-105L has IS. The main reason I bought it is because I knew I was going to get a wider angle lens in the future.
Yeah, my bad. I should have mentioned that I was comparing the fast 2.8 lenses.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt

I believe CS5 is 64 bit only, so no...
If somehow it works, lower the preview resolution so you can edit fluidly. The final export of full rez previews will take a bit to render but at least all the fiddly bits will be quicker.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Sweet, well the school is installing the whole Adobe suite, so which ever one it is, it will have to work. Thanks heaps man.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Comments and criticism greatly appreciated, first proper edit. Anyone with A.E. know how to make those motion tracks a little less jittery? Did I boost the contrast too much in general, also? And the massive long intro as well, meh. Blank space at the start is for a title sequence that I haven't got around to finishing yet.

[video=vimeo;17186360]http://vimeo.com/17186360[/video]

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Yo nick bro. got my dakine bag (mission), it's naiiice. It does have a waterproof cover, there's plenty of space for camera gear. One body and 4 lenses fills up maybe half of it. Tripod carry is very sturdy, my mega tripod is fine to carry albeit really really heavy, but that ain't the bags fault. You can take the camera pack out as well, so you're able to use it as just a normal bag, pretty handy. Do recommend.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
Built a camera crane and took it down to the skate park for a bit of a test run.

Still needs a few small hitches solved but i'm loving the shots it produces.

[video=vimeo;17465576]http://www.vimeo.com/17465576[/video]

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice

nice work mate,
the moves are nice and smooth,

1 suggestion though,
try to get the camera to do 1 move per shot, instead of trying to follow the rider. this will make your shots look alot cleaner and not overly used.

e.g. your first shot where Hayden does the nose pick at 12 seconds looks fantatsic until you do the slight cameramove at the end of the shot,
but then again that's just me

move the camera into frame then let the rider disappear,

hope that helps.

look for a book called the 5 c's of cinematography, it's the bible of camera moves.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
I didn't put any work in pp just cut the shots and put a song with it.

I now have the design working perfectly. Camera plate stays level the whole way though the crane arms rise & dosen't tilt when panning.

It was built for under $100 (Not including the scooter i sacrificed) and is definatly the best tool i've used so far. Followed closely by my Fig Rig due to it's versatility and $50 build cost.