Video makers 'post here'

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The hiss is probably the AGC (AutoGainControl). It will get worse when it is quiet as the camera automatically raises the audio recording level as it tries to lift what little sound there is, creating a hiss. You can turn the AGC off but when you do, also make sure you turn the record level down. The pre amps on these DSLR's are not great so you want to turn them down as much as possible.
The other thing it could be is the IS motors in the lens. With IS turned on, I can hear the motors when there is very little ambient noise. Try turning the IS on your lens off and see if that helps.
Ahh ok. This may be a basic question but how do you go about turning AGC off then? Is it as simple as putting sound recording to 'manual' instead of 'auto' or is there a specific AGC off button that I have been missing. I've been putting it onto manual and not even 1/5 of the way up on the recording level option.

Pretty sure it is not the IS on the lens. I've tried turning it off and using it with a lens that doesn't have IS and it is all still the same. It's okay in most situations although say when I'm doing an interview and it is dead quiet before the person starts talking there is that hiss noise. If I knew how to turn AGC off that would probably help a great deal.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any help would be the best.
I use the 7D with the RODE Video Mic, and I found that these videos from Dave Dugdale were useful.

[video=vimeo;11691195]http://vimeo.com/11691195[/video]

[video=vimeo;13525150]http://vimeo.com/13525150[/video]

these ones more related to your issue.

[video=vimeo;12989300]http://www.vimeo.com/12989300[/video]

[video=vimeo;13157903]http://vimeo.com/13157903[/video]

Hope that helps.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Gluey you'll love the z-finder, so good for outdoors, its heaps comfy as well.
The base plate has 3 tripod points, which is awesome as well.

Oh I just got my BeachTek DXA-SLR, and Rode NTG-2 mic, so Im pretty stoked. :D
Sounds pretty amazing, will have to post up some tests and pics of it.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I am looking at new camera, but I've got no idea on what one to get.
next year I'm going to be covering the state series, I am wanting a camcorder, cause the dslr video cameras are just to hard,
So any suggestions about 800 max on the money to

thanks

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for your help Jake, really appreciated.
From what I have read regarding the 60d you can only alter the gain control, not disable it completely? I think before going ahead and doing what that guy is demonstrating in the videos above I might just install the Magic Lantern hack as they have just released one for the 60D! It is only in its early stages however so I might just make do for the time being until they smooth out any issues unless anyone else has ideas or thoughts to improve the situation?

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
hello video makers,

i just acquired adobe premiere cs5 after i realised i'd really stretched the limits of windows movie maker, and surprise surprise my PC is having a hard time handling it.

current specs are as follows:
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
2gb DDR2
nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
500gb? HDD

i have this terrible feeling that most of that gear will need updating, but i was hoping someone on here could tell me what i should upgrade while at the same time trying to keep costs to a minimum. thanks in advance :)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
hello video makers,

i just acquired adobe premiere cs5 after i realised i'd really stretched the limits of windows movie maker, and surprise surprise my PC is having a hard time handling it.

current specs are as follows:
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
2gb DDR2
nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
500gb? HDD

i have this terrible feeling that most of that gear will need updating, but i was hoping someone on here could tell me what i should upgrade while at the same time trying to keep costs to a minimum. thanks in advance :)
hiya Downhillar,

Some bad news, Adibe Premiere CS5 is for 64bit only. Atleast the full version is. (edit: Elements 9 does not require 64Bit).
The processor to look at is the i7 or the i5. Get about 8gb of ram and as much HDD space as your budget can allow. A decent graphics card will help as well.
As for the motherboard, anything from ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI are fine.

Last edited:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
thanks for the response alpha :)

oh i do have 64bit, i've actually got premiere CS5 (full version) running at the moment, but it runs the same way a car does when it's bunny hopping :p

mmmm i just had a look around at those items you listed, i knew this would end up being a costly procedure!

Last edited:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
ok so i've got premiere working now, i have a question, i can't understand what's going on here..

pictured below is a screen shot of a video i'm trying to put together.

the frame on the left and right are suppossed to be the same frame from the same clip, however, the one on the right (which i presume is the final preview?) is zoomed in on the picture, cutting off the outside of the clip, as you can see.

i presume this is something to do with the program cropping the image to fit in the 1280 x 960 frame? is there any way i can adjust what part of the video is cut off etc?
as you can see it's taken off the bottom which is where most of the detail in the clip lies :(
i hope that all made sense, please excuse my ignorance, i'm still learning this program..

Attachments

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cant see it in that screen shot, but there is a drop down menu usually just above the right hand side video, that says video size, change it to fit in screen and that should make it better.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have you accidentally scaled it?

when your looking at the video preview(Right)
if you view at say 25% then click on the clip you might be able to see the perimeter of the shot.

what are your project settings?
have you shot in Pal and a re working in a ntsc workspace?

i think your footage is bigger than your workspace settings
you just need to scale it down
premiere copy.JPG

hope that helps

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
It's been years since I used premier and it has changed a lot since. You can either view the wireframe and scale/move the image to how you want or right click the clip and select 'motion' and it should let you select the anchor point and image scale and adjust that way.
Remember 1280x960 is not a recognised format. 4:3 does not exist in the HD world. The Gopro hd will shoot 4:3 HD but you will always need to modify your clips to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio. The 960p setting is pretty useless in the real world. Shoot 720p for high action sport sport or 1080p for everything else when using the GoPro.

Last edited:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
thanks heaps for your replies guys, i scaled all the clips down manually, bit of a pain in the arse but it worked.
thanks again for all the replies!

Xplor

Likes Dirt
I got my laptop back from school with the whole Adobe Suite CS5, except for Premier thats CS5. Anyways i was wondering if i was able to convert my raw footage from my DSLR (Canon 60D) to a file thats smaller and easier to work with in Premier Pro CS4, without losing quality? I know there is ProRes for FCP, but what about Premier?