Video makers 'post here'

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
PersonalIy would not bother with ANY L series lenses (as your widest lens) with a 24mm - ??mm range unless going for a 5D. On a crop sensor (550,7,60D) that 24 turns into a 36mm - ??mm. Not really wide enough. The ultimate zoom for crop sensors is a 17-55 2.8.

Ultimately, if you make a great film the fact that it was shot on a kit lens rather than a Zeiss or L series is not going to matter. DSLR's do give you the possibility of shallow DOF and it's great for story telling/being able to direct the audience to where you want in the frame. That is why I would say go for a DSLR if you are into film making. If it means you can only afford the kit lens then fine. If you put the kit lens in the hands of a great DP then they will get great results.

Don't get too caught up in the kit. Buy what you can now and make films!
So what you're saying is, if I go with said 60D kit here:
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=3118
...then I should be all good for now. Can you REALLY tell the difference in quality? If a cheaper kit lense is seriously going to down grade my quality for video making, then the way I see it, is that it's not worth it...

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have two old Nikkor lenses, a 50mm 1.2 and a 24mm 1.2 could these be used for video with either of the above bodies?

Hey jda,
I also have a few old lenses, 2 of which being Nikkor. The one I'm going to make use of is the 50f/1.4 and the others I probably won't use (as the 24-105l will pretty much make them redundant) are a Nikkor 28 f/3.5 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 which could come in handy.
Anyway the Nikkor lenses I have are A1 mount lenses that were on my dads film cameras. Pretty much Nikon haven't changed there mounts and these are the same as current their current mounts (please correct me if I'm incorrect). You can simply get one of these adapters (I have seen them for like $6, I just picked the one that showed up first on the page) and it should be fine to use on the Canon bodies. Part of the reason Nikon lenses hold their value better is because you can fit Nikon lenses on Canon bodies but not the other way around.

Hope this helped.

Pictor of my dads gear.

Last edited:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt

downhillar

Likes Dirt
mr casual: i can only watch the first 15secs of your vid cause my internet is being a bitch, but those shots where people are walking in the distance kinda thing, that would look a lot better if you'd used a tripod. that's about all i can comment on

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
yeah a tripod was used, but not the highest quality one in the world.

need one, can someone give me some advice on tripods and good quality heads for a reasonable price? i need one

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In regards to buying camera gear off DWI or other similar shops which get their stock from the grey market (usually Hong Kong etc) is there any difference at all compared to say buying it from Harvey Norman besides not getting the Australian warranty and saving a heap of money? Manuals etc all still in English? Camera itself the same?

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
In regards to buying camera gear off DWI or other similar shops which get their stock from the grey market (usually Hong Kong etc) is there any difference at all compared to say buying it from Harvey Norman besides not getting the Australian warranty and saving a heap of money? Manuals etc all still in English? Camera itself the same?
I bought my 7D from an Ebay seller who sourced it from Hang Kong as I needed it for a job and the 7D hadn't been released here yet. The company I dealt with did have an Australian Bank Account and ABN but the camera was a grey import. The only difference is that my charger requires a power adapter (supplied by seller). I still received the English Manual and the camera is identical to the Australian version. Warranty wise, I had to get the camera back to him for any warranty claim of which I have had none.

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I sent them an email regarding the same topic yesterday Nick..
This is what they replied :

"The warranty is for 12months through Sydney based service agent ATECH distribution
The item is sent from Hong Kong and is usually delivered between 2-3 working days"

Another thing, if you are purchasing a camera or other equiptment fom DWI that costs more than $1000, then you will have to pay 10% tax as it passes through the US..
I asked them if there is a way to get around this and they said they can simply declare your purchase as under $1000.. So no tax has to be payed :)

Seems like a good deal to me ??

Hugle

Likes Dirt
"The warranty is for 12months through Sydney based service agent ATECH distribution
The item is sent from Hong Kong and is usually delivered between 2-3 working days"
Whilst I only occasionally lurk this thread; being an avid photographer i have bought a fair bit of stuff of DWI and found them to be extremely reputable and reliable. The only hiccup I have had with them was due to a miss-shipment (2x teleconverter instead of 1.4x) but their sydney office was very helpful and the issue was quickly and efficiently resolved. Whilst I haven't bought a body from there I would expect the product and your experience to be as good as mine have been :)
Good luck!

Haha; totally forgot the point of this post: That the Sydney office does exists, is easy to find and the people that work there are helpful, and as such i would have no problem dealing with them for warranty issues

Looking for Video/Filmmakers who need crew in Qld area

Hey Guys...I'm in Toowoomba and have quite a bit of experience in video and filmmaking having worked in the Vancouver Film industry for awhile...experience filming and setting up shots on independents etc. and have developed a lightweight 'dolly' track system that is light and easily transportable into remote locations...I provided a set for 'The Collective' to use and would like to hook up with some (aspiring) videographers/filmmakers here in Australia...

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any more information about it?

Prices? Specific details? Availability? Photos etc

Sounds pretty nice.