Video makers 'post here'

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any reason why you would pick that up instead of the 7d? it's on DWI for basically the same price as the 7d without a lens at it comes with one, so right now I just need some hard reason / video evidence to buy it. But I am willing to spend a little more if it will get me what I am after, quality at high speeds (downhill) for example.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
DWI is brilliant. Highly recommend. I've also heard many MANY people say the Pana > Canon for video work, but if you're planning on shooting a lot of stills it might be a different story (and if you're buying a DSLR and not planning to shoot stills at all... well chances are you'll start stills anyway)

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I seriously intend on shooting minimal still's with the dslr, I will take photo's with it of course, but first instinct will be to put it in video mode, I am being pushed now toward the Panasonic after reading some stuff in cinema5d.com, just for money reason's above all else that it's cheaper and in some factors is a better purpose camera, and then seeing how prices go with the release of the Scarlet. Cheers guys, thanks for that about DWI, pretty sure i'll go with them now, does the warranty get voided or something because it's not in Australia or does it still count?

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
I seriously intend on shooting minimal still's with the dslr, I will take photo's with it of course, but first instinct will be to put it in video mode, I am being pushed now toward the Panasonic after reading some stuff in cinema5d.com, just for money reason's above all else that it's cheaper and in some factors is a better purpose camera, and then seeing how prices go with the release of the Scarlet. Cheers guys, thanks for that about DWI, pretty sure i'll go with them now, does the warranty get voided or something because it's not in Australia or does it still count?
If you bought a Canon body from DWI, there would be no warranty (you'd have to send it back to DWI and do there warranty from there), but I'm unsure about Panasonic. Any Canon lenses are still under warranty if bought form overseas though, if you bought one + adapters and such

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah ok, well with the panasonic im looking at 1,900 from DWI and 1,800 from eBay - warranty but with everything else I would need, lens, 2x 16gb memory cards, etc. So I think off DWI seems the smartest idea for the price, just gotta get the money and im still off work for 3 weeks, damnit, hate waiting.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt
I totally forgot about RED completely, any idea on how they will drop for? considering the ONE is 25k
Wow, red one has increased in price in the last few months, used to be $19K

They are looking at $6000 USD, that is for the scarlet fixed which is 3K at 120fps, RAW, 2/3inch sensor, selectable data rates up to 80mb/sec I believe with the sacrifice of frame rate and/or resolution, 12.5DR (up to 18 stops of Dynamic range with HDRx mode enabled), fixed 8x cinema zoom lens (28 to 200mm FF 35 equivalent lens), 5inch touch screen LCD, CF module (can upgrade to SSD for more $$), Redmote, Side battery grip and a battery. There is probably allot more little features I can't recall of the top of my head but that's certainly a good list for $6K.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I have just been reading reduser, that's what they say will come with the 6K USD package, my only concern now though, that they will be out of stock for sometime and not easy to get your hands on? either way I think I may be picking one up when I get the chance too.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt
Yeah I have just been reading reduser, that's what they say will come with the 6K USD package, my only concern now though, that they will be out of stock for sometime and not easy to get your hands on? either way I think I may be picking one up when I get the chance too.
Yer that's very true, well they have manufactured 60, 000 Epics so I am sure they going to manufacture a shitload more Scarlets. I don't think they will run out of stock but the backlog of orders and shipping will definitely pile up quickly. Hopefully they come out when I am over there so I can just walk in and get one :)

Some recent interviews with Ted from Red and the scarlet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBU8rMi05sU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVmKydHH-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcgOZMBW1k

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I have worked with a ONE heaps of times and love them, they have basically sold me with the Scarlet, just depends on weather I should buy DSLR before then to have fun with or just stick it out and be able to buy some extra accessories with the Scarlet? hmm decisions decisions, whilst still be able to save enough for NZ and Canada at the end of April, hmmmm.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, do you really need a camera right now or you just want one?
Well it's a bit of both really... I think im just going to sit it out, but on a side note, those interviewer's in those video's especially in the last one were complete twats, haha. I wonder if they will release the fixed and interchangeable at the same time just with 2 very different prices, guess we can only wait, wanting an interchangeable though. thanks for the links and info mitch.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt
Well it's a bit of both really... I think im just going to sit it out, but on a side note, those interviewer's in those video's especially in the last one were complete twats, haha. I wonder if they will release the fixed and interchangeable at the same time just with 2 very different prices, guess we can only wait, wanting an interchangeable though. thanks for the links and info mitch.
Interchangeable is probably not worth it bro, it takes 16mm lenses so if you wanted to upgrade to a epic brain in the future then all your glass will not transfer over and therefore will become useless. Also you gotta buy lenses and the interchangeable doesn't come with monitor, battery or side grip. It is just the brain and I believe it's $3750USD?

The red scarlet primes (interchangeable) are like f1.2 (possibly f1.4?) and the scarlet is f2.4 so the only real loss is in the f-stops with going fixed lens. Other than that I think the fixed is a better option in all aspects for what scarlet is meant to be; quick and easy.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I have worked with a ONE heaps of times and love them, they have basically sold me with the Scarlet, just depends on weather I should buy DSLR before then to have fun with or just stick it out and be able to buy some extra accessories with the Scarlet? hmm decisions decisions, whilst still be able to save enough for NZ and Canada at the end of April, hmmmm.
Scarlet is a 2/3" chip camera. Basically like a broadcast video camera. No DSLR shallow DOF and fixed lens only. Will be pretty expensive too. I'm not sure I could give up the exchangeable lens feature afforded by DSLRs.
I would go GH2 over 7D as the GH2 has very little rolling shutte problems ( this is pretty important if you shoot lots of fast action like DH) and the moire/aliasing is not an issue like the 7D. Also, the centre crop feature of the GH2 is pretty cool and the GH2 will accept heaps of different lenses as it has no mirror (it's not really a DSLR.
I wouldn't wait for Scarlet. It's hype more than anything. You can be shooting great images with a GH2 tomorrow if you like. Scarlet selling point is RAW .......... Do you REALLY need it cos to have it you are making pretty major sacrifices.

Mitch.Pierias

Likes Dirt
Scarlet is a 2/3" chip camera. Basically like a broadcast video camera.
Only a couple of millimeters difference between a 2/3 inch sensor and a 16mm film frame. Black Swan and The Hurt Locker were both filmed on 16mm film cameras (plus a few other cameras) and there is a few more recent films on 16mm as well. The scarlet is available in a interchangeable lens version and accepts all 16mm lenses and Red's new mini prime range.

If you want to say scarlet is basically a broadcast camera based of its chip size then you must also agree that DSLR's are broadcast cameras based of their compression, formats, resolution and little to no chroma sub sampling?

Scarlet selling point is RAW .......... Do you REALLY need it cos to have it you are making pretty major sacrifices.
Scarlet's selling point is not just in RAW, the hype is coming more so from it's modular magnesium alloy design, high frame rates, 3K sensor that produces 3K images, low compression rates, high dynamic range, even higher dynamic range in HDRx mode, amazing metadata, SSD capability, highly advanced auto focus, fully controllable via Wi-Fi including pulling focus, sending a 1080p h.264 stream and full camera control, RAW of coarse which allows footage to be 'reprocessed' much like film long after the recording and have a very large latitude in post, etc...

It's only downfall is that it's not out yet, but if he's in no rush then that is no longer a problem.

On the other hand...
Looking like a gimp rolling up to a film set with a still camera, priceless.

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have to agree and disagree, there are very big advantages of the GH2, be it such a great little buy, but on the other hand, I have watched those videos and if that guy isnt completely talking out of his ass which I doubt he is, then there is a lot more selling points than just the RAW, he brings up points about 1080p and how they differ between the DSLRs and the Scarlet, and I have seen footage from it on Vimeo, it's not just another camera, the footage came out amazing, watch some if you havn't. Im probably just being a pest as I will most likely get both or close enough too down the road, but it's good to talk banter about them both.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Only a couple of millimeters difference between a 2/3 inch sensor and a 16mm film frame. Black Swan and The Hurt Locker were both filmed on 16mm film cameras (plus a few other cameras) and there is a few more recent films on 16mm as well. The scarlet is available in a interchangeable lens version and accepts all 16mm lenses and Red's new mini prime range.

If you want to say scarlet is basically a broadcast camera based of its chip size then you must also agree that DSLR's are broadcast cameras based of their compression, formats, resolution and little to no chroma sub sampling?
No, you must not agree that at all! Chip size is what differentiates the 'look' that these cameras have more than compression, resolution and chroma sampling. Take a Hollywood Movie for example, once transferred to DVD (and it's crappy resolution, colour space, compression) it still retains its look. The same can not be said of a broadcast camera, no matter how little compression you use. The 'look' will never match 35mm.

Scarlet's selling point is not just in RAW, the hype is coming more so from it's modular magnesium alloy design, high frame rates, 3K sensor that produces 3K images, low compression rates, high dynamic range, even higher dynamic range in HDRx mode, amazing metadata, SSD capability, highly advanced auto focus, fully controllable via Wi-Fi including pulling focus, sending a 1080p h.264 stream and full camera control, RAW of coarse which allows footage to be 'reprocessed' much like film long after the recording and have a very large latitude in post, etc...
The fixed scarlet is far from modular and in reality that is already double the budget that Rendog was wanting to spend.

I've worked on enough 16mm features, doco's and music promos to know that S16 is a good workable format. Yes, IF IF IF Red release an interchangable lens 16mm Scarlet then that will be a great camera but you will need well over $15k once you look at lenses, EVF, CF or SSD recorders etc....
Also, considering Rendog wants to shoot DH mountain biking and is looking at the Sony V1, i am assuming that he doesn't care much for 3k shooting (completely unnecessary) or WiFi focusing!

Looking like a gimp rolling up to a film set with a still camera, priceless.
Hate to break it to you, DSLR's are being used all over the place in the motion picture world. Fixed lens broadcast cameras (read SCARLET) are not . Sorry to be blunt but comments like that kinda prove that you have never been on a proper film set.

Yes, DSLR's have their limitations but the GH2 addresses many of the Canon DSLR's limitations.

Oh and those interviews are all with Ted Schillowitz. He has spoken out of his rear end about scarlet for the past 5 years. He is Red and of course wants to hype it up. If they make an interchangeable version it will be great but EXPENSIVE.

On the other hand plenty of unbiased DOP's, major production houses are using DSLR's for their films. This can not be said of the Scarlet.

Wait for the non existent camera if you wish or start shooting great images now!

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't intend to start a shit fight, im just going to buy both, let's be at peace. :) although to be fair the options are endless and once I buy it I am probably going to want something different, so oh well.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Sorry if you think I started a shit fight. Not my intention.

Just want people to keep it real when giving advice.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that's the hard thing about the internet, you don't know who to believe, and even in real life you still can't be sure, which is why I really need to get behind the camera and film what I want (downhill) and put it on my computer, edit it and watch it back on DVD on the TV, but of course I can't do that, ah well, that's why I came to the net for some clear views on the camera's, just so you know, I have counted out the V1, just not worth it, 3K would be ok, but it's not a necessary, I have no real background experience in shooting with downhill, I have before but that's when I was like 17 or 18 and didn't know much and was with a mid-range consumer JVC, and apart from that all I have worked with is a couple low budget master films as DOP helper and what not, so quick go's on the RED ONE which is what we used when I could and some low range cameras like DVX 1000 and so on, and film, but I have film camera's and not the greatest to take to a DH race and I need to learn more about them before I go wasting film, shooting bad footage.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Just get a camera and start shooting. Best time to learn is now. You can learn now on the GH2.
Waiting for Scarlet would be lost time. Also, do you have a powerful enough PC or Mac to edit 3K? Are you going to show your films anywhere in 3K??

Hey, if you have the cash for the S16 scarlet if it ever comes out by all means buy it. The Gh2 can be your B Cam!