[WA] - Cape to Cape 2013

big gags

Likes Bikes
I have signed up for this year's Cape to Cape in WA and will be making the trip over in October.

I would appreciate any sort of insight that previous entrants can supply in regards to the event (i.e. how are the stages, how much climbing, etc, etc).

At this stage I am planning on taking my Krampus over and I am hoping that the fat tyres will go OK on the pea gravel that I have been warned is a bit of a hazard over West.

Cheers,

Gags

onrails

Likes Bikes
I have signed up for this year's Cape to Cape in WA and will be making the trip over in October.

I would appreciate any sort of insight that previous entrants can supply in regards to the event (i.e. how are the stages, how much climbing, etc, etc).

At this stage I am planning on taking my Krampus over and I am hoping that the fat tyres will go OK on the pea gravel that I have been warned is a bit of a hazard over West.

Cheers,

Gags

Hey Mate,

I have ridden this twice such an awesome race.

First day is short but two or three 20% climbs with a 1K beach SOFT sand run.

Second day is similar longer bit more of single track.

Third day is a special stage through margs lots of pines riding some DH sections

Fourth day is pretty much fire trial riding last year with a single trail section at the end

All days have around 1K of climbing +/- 20%

there is lots of fire trail in all stages too, great for road riders.

Also if you jump on strava and explore segment search for cape to cape stage 1 ect that will give you the exact route taken last year

With your bike I have seen two riders in the past with the bike but not necessary.

I will be riding my carbon comp. Last year I rode a XTC1 HT

When you coming over?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
There is only one section where the fat tyre will have an advantage.

This is the approach to the beach run and the beach run itself.

Otherwise just normal riding.

Make sure you are running tubeless as lots of those 4 pronged spiky things.

Hills are solid but nothing major unless you are 110kg like the first time I rode it.

There is a bit of road/firetrack and time was gained by people running thin/semi slick tyres on the last day. Also getting low on the bike. Def 29er territory

big gags

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the head's up......will definitely look at a couple of Strava segments tonight to get a feel for it. Did you have any issues with the "pea gravel" that I have heard a lot about over there??

Already running ghetto tubeless setup that seems to be holding up OK at this stage. I have got a mate from Sydney who is also riding with me and he is driving over (part of an extended long service leave holiday)......anyway, he is calling into my place in Melbourne a couple of weeks before the event and is going to pick my bike up and then I am flying over to Perth a couple of days before the event and will meet up with him then.

I can't wait!!!

Gags

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Nice work big gags.

The pea gravel in the Margaret River region isn't nearly as bad as it is up closer to Perth. Last year I ran a Nobby Nic on the front as it's the tyre I generally run for riding around Perth and I remember thinking that I didn't need something so aggressive on the front for Cape to Cape so this year i'm going to give a Rocket Ron a shot. As long as the outside tread pattern as some bite to it you'll be fine and with the Krampus I would say it won't be an issue.

Day 1 is the only really tough one with three climbs near the start throwing out a bit of punishment. In the first 11km you climb about 460m which doesn't sound too bad but throw in 1100 people around you with two 1.8km climbs averaging near on 10% on fairly sandy with roots and ruts all over the place it's easy to blow up early on.

It's a great event. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Good info for all of us first timers, thanks guys.

Next question: I am doing the event unsupported, which means no one to bring the car to the finish line for me each day. Is it best to

-base myself in one place in Margaret River or Prevelly and catch the bus to and from the event each day, leaving the bike in the lockup overnight?
-Base myself somewhere central, finish each day and use the ride back to each days start line to get the car as a recovery spin?
-Find accommodation close as possible to each of the overnight stops and use the luggage transport service, then ride to my accomodation?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best mid-priced places to stay for the event?
Thanks in advance!

NCR

Likes Bikes
Aid Stations?

Does anybody know if there are aid stations or bottle drops for this event or do you need to carry enough fluid to get through the whole stage?

Would also like to hear from any locals about current track conditions in the area, I've been hearing the weather hasn't been great over there recently.