Wahoo - I'm in!

AnthonyB

Squid
Hi All,

Just had my account approved so I can post. Found it odd that seemingly nowhere on the forum / site I could see that my account was pending admin approval - but Tapatalk did say so. All I could see when I logged in via website was that I didn't have sufficient permissions to post anywhere.

Anyhow, in now - thanks Admins. (btw, the links in the "read this first" sticky don't work - blocked by some weird Sophos page (not my end!))

Moved down to Mornington Pen from Sydney nearly a year ago and haven't been able to really ride since - pulled my bike out over xmas believing I'd get the chance, only to find my front brake totally seized. Now the dilema is: a) continue trying to fix myself and free it off, maybe purchase a bleed kit (Avids!) risk wasting money and having to replace anyhow. b) give it to LBS to try and fix, see a, c) give to LBS to replace it all, d) find a second hand replacement, e) buy new from CRC or Jenson fit myself, f) convince my wife it's best to buy new bike!

Anyhow, looking forward to getting back riding again soon.

Anthony.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
New brakes from CRC / Merlin / cycling deal / your other favourite online store!

Enjoy the trails at Red Hill. There's heaps of riders on here that frequent there. Heaps of other good trails around Vic too. Enjoy!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks @wkkie !!

You wouldn't recommend JensonUSA? Currently, they're heaps cheaper than CRC for Shimano SLX BR 7000 (although thinking about downgrading from there - is my old bike worth it!) but if CRC price match I'd prefer to use them. Will check out Merlin too.
Last I checked Merlin had XT m8000 for $200 a set with free shipping which was the best price around. From what I've heard Jenson are good but don't always ship to Aus and never free shipping, but like I said what I've heard haven't bought from them.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks @wkkie !!

You wouldn't recommend JensonUSA? Currently, they're heaps cheaper than CRC for Shimano SLX BR 7000 (although thinking about downgrading from there - is my old bike worth it!) but if CRC price match I'd prefer to use them. Will check out Merlin too.
Oh yeah ditch the avids you may as well just set money on fire.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
...pretty certain I'm gonna have to shorten the stock hose though - which currently seems to be around 700mm (even on XL frame!), vs. 1000mm shipped, thus, need the bleed kit too - of course, Merlin have the cheapest brakes, but more limited bleed kit. Typical :(
Depending on who is in your area you might be able to borrow a bleed kit off another burner otherwise eBay probably has the best price on bleed kits.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What poodle said. Buy ya new bike, then shove it on an oven and take some photo’s.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
You should be able to get a Shimano funnel pretty cheap, and mineral oil isn't expensive either and will last forever! Everything else you'll need to shorten your hoses will come with the brakes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think my shimano bleed set up cost me about $40. The funnel, 1 litre of mineral oil, a little hose for the bleed nipples, and a spanner for the bleed nipples.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hey @AnthonyB and welcome. The good news is that besides the great advice (and tonne of shit advice) you will get on here, you have a well respected mechanic (from what I hear) just nearby. Drop into Chainbrain if you get a chance. He won't be cheapest on parts but will give good advice and can do the fitting, bleeding, cable shortening work for you until you get all the bits you need to do the work yourself.

AnthonyB

Squid
ok - #bikeonoven aside - new brakes ordered from Merlin - SLX7000's and Ice Tech rotors. Over kill for the bike, but the way I figure it, they're good enough brakes that I can take them off and put them on a new one (option f) later if I need to.

Thanks for the Merlin tip!