AM Waltly Ti Hardtail

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Realised I haven't actually updated this thread in a while, so figured it's high time to post the current evolution of the various builds I played with on this frame.

It is now running mulleted, with a bit of a different build kit to original.

Most recently, I'd robbed the XT 12sp driveline parts off this bike to put onto the Highball, which meant it was time to go shopping. Being bike spares are seemingly still in COVID lockdown, all I could (easily) get a hold of was XTR. "Oh no..." ;) Happy early Christmas present to myself then.

While playing around tuning the derailleur, I also finally twigged to why the fork felt a bit funny on the last ride. The lower headset bearing had let go (not totally collapsed, but too loose to continue using). I tried giving the headset a tighten up, but could still feel the rattle - so popped in some spare bearings top and bottom. And while I had all that apart I figured it was as good a time as any to swap in the Marzocchi Z1's I bought for the second Waltly "V2" frame to try - before deciding I still didn't like the geo of that frame as much as this one (Whoops! lol), and selling it.

The new forks feel torsionally stiffer, which I like. But it's possibly also placebo effect as this is what I was hoping for when buying them... :oops: Time will tell, but either way they feel good. :)

Not too much planned going forward from here, except some Double-Down casing tyre replacements and maybe a CushCore on the rear - the current EXO casing rolls around more than I'd like up front, and this bike is able to plow far more than I ever thought it would be able to - so time to protect that rear Nextie rim from my inevitable lack of skillz!

Bike's still a good looking rooster IMO, even though the current evolution now has it looking Moto-AF.

Updated spec-list:

Frame - Waltly Custom Titanium Hardtail Frame
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi Z1 (36mm stanchions), 140mm travel, 44mm offset, Grip damper.
Handlebars - Spank Spike 800 Vibracore 50mm rise (cut to 760mm)
Stem - Diety Copperhead 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek 'Hellbender' 70 series
Grips - ODI Elite Pro
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - Vecnum Nivo 212mm
Front brake - Hope Tech V4 with 203mm rotor
Rear brake - Hope Tech E4 with 183mm rotor
Cranks - Shimano XT M8100, with 32t XTR chainring.
Chainguide - One-Up
Chain - Shimano XTR 12sp
Pedals - Chromag Dagga, centre and inner pins swapped to (less grippy) Blackspire pins
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M9100 12sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-9100 12sp
Cassette - Shimano XTR M9100 12sp
Front hub - Project 321 Boost
Rear hub - Project 321 Boost (Microspline, 216POE, Quiet pawls)
Front rim - 29" Nextie Premium Trail 40mm (36mm internal)
Rear rim - 27.5" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
Tyres - Maxxis DHF 29x2.5" 3C EXO (Front), Minion Aggressor 27.5x2.5" EXO (Rear)
Tubes - Stans Tubeless
Total weight - NFI, doesn't feel bad at all.
Extras - Hopps Carbon fork air cap, black adjuster screws on Hope brake levers and black cap screws in bar clamps, Hope seat clamp, WolfTooth Dropper Remote with Hope brake lever mount kit, Marsh Guard mudguard and "moustache", and hand moulded Sugru chainstay protection.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm liking the way the rear derailleur cable runs up the seat stay and along the top tube. Nicely done!

beeb

I'm liking the way the rear derailleur cable runs up the seat stay and along the top tube. Nicely done!
Cheers, I copied that design element from my Octane-One Prone frame. Nice neat way to run them. I thought about internal routing, but it seemed risky on a Ti frame.

The only two regrets I have with this frame are not spec'ing sliding dropouts to make SS setups easier, and the raised top-tube. I love the look of it - but the brake levers will smash into it if the bars spin around. I'll probably go a Chromag-style dipped top-tube on the next one with sliding dropouts and maaaaybe a Pinion mount. That'll be well into next year though, and this one's great fun anyway so no rush! :)

beeb

Looking schmick! Nice build @beeb.

Will it be making an appearance on Sunday the 6th?
Indeed. Got to try and stay in the same time zone as you and @Jpez, so getting everything prepped. Taking myself for a spin down there tomorrow to try and get me prepped too. First proper MTB ride since January... o_O

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nice. I was out there today and the trails are nice. Some of the scrub has gone a bit feral, but the trails are pretty much mint.

beeb

Nice. I was out there today and the trails are nice. Some of the scrub has gone a bit feral, but the trails are pretty much mint.
Agreed, trails are running really nice.

New fork was awesome, added just a touch of LSC and promptly forgot all about it as it did what you want and just disappeared into the background. Love the basic Grip damper, such an underrated performer.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Agreed, trails are running really nice.

New fork was awesome, added just a touch of LSC and promptly forgot all about it as it did what you want and just disappeared into the background. Love the basic Grip damper, such an underrated performer.
Hot day for it but it must have been nice to get a proper ride in! January. Holy cow I would have gone postal by now.

beeb

Hell yeah, it was damn sweet to be out on the trails again. I parked at the Stockyards side, rode up and started with Junction track (because lots of rocks are a great idea for a maiden run after 10 months right? :oops: - No dramas though apart from being very slow and tentative...), then came back across (grabbed the picture below on the way), rode Lactic and back up to finish with Cressy. First climb, no probs, second - brief break for shade, but the third one took a few attempts to get up and I was done for the day. I had hoped to get another run in, but still had a ball. The heat beat me today, but still good to try and regain some fitness. Bike was running sweet too (even though the rider was a little rusty!).

Swapped on Boost spacing cranks for a slightly wider pedal stance this morning, and put a OneUp chainguide on too for a little added piece of mind on the descents.

Double-post of the picture from the WDYD thread, but this is a picture of what it was all built for so I'm bloody happy to be back out there!