AM Waltly Ti Hardtail

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Haha, e-mails are bouncing back and forth at the moment.
Crap if you are doing another than so am I!

Hardtail 130mm 29er for me this time. All because I 'forgot' to add a spare derailleur hanger for the roadie *arhem gravel bike.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So are you just planning to go for a straight top tube which intersects the seat tube at a lower height to reduce the standover? Then increase the seat tube length above the top tube intersection and have a nifty brace? I imagine that at 6'2 even with a 150mm dropper you'll need a fair bit of tube hanging out.
Like this
Very similar look to that Nordest frame design overall. I have a 212mm dropper I'll be using, so I'm able to spec a 485mm seat tube and only have about 15mm gap to the bottom of the dropper collar.

mekros

Likes Dirt
I'd be so tempted if we went down the group buy path, I need to make up my mind if I want a gravel bike or a hard tail.

beeb

Separate thread please folks. And FWIW I doubt a group buy will gain you any significant discount unless you all want the same frame, otherwise there's no benefit to it for them.

beeb

Design completed:

As it turned out the design ended up being a simplified version compared to drawing posted previously. Unfortunately, they (Waltly) decided the ovalised top-tube I wanted was "unworkable". In reality, I don't think they could figure out how to weld it to the seat tube & seat stays. It's one of those things where I know what I wanted, but trying to communicate it to someone in a different country via e-mail with the slight confusions that can occur with translation/interpretation between languages all got a bit hard (that is not a dig at them, just the reality of the interactions - they were quite good again otherwise). Same thing with trying to get a guide tube run through the downtube and into the bottom of the seattube for the dropper cable. I pushed a bit harder on this one but I kept getting told it was "unworkable" or getting design alterations that weren't close to what I was asking. What I eventually figured out was that they make the frame first, then add any cable guide tubes later. I'm fine with it, and ultimately it was only really for aesthetics and wasn't going to effect the operation of the bike - so I just went with external routing on the down-tube and through a port into the seat-tube again. Although I couldn't get the ovalised top tube I had wanted, I still wanted to try and combat the front-end flexiness of my first frame so I went with a larger diameter top tube, and a more angular profile and thicker walled downtube (1.1mm wall thickness). The keen-eyed geo freaks might notice that the BB has actually risen despite my earlier plans to lower it - but that's because this frame is going to setup as a mullet with a 27.5" rear wheel. I decided it's a frame I'm getting built purely for fun rides, and while the rollover of a 29er rear is handy over rocks - they just don't feel as lively to me everywhere else. Front end will be a 29x2.5" and 140mm fork, with 27.5x2.5" out back.

Last edited:

beeb

If it's a pre-made (hydroformed) tube like the downtube I dont think so, but if you want curves added to otherwise straight tubes then yes. I think it's something like $15 USD per bend from memory but it was a long time ago that I asked...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Looks like I'm following your lead for a second waltly @beeb.

Got hit by a car and totalled my gravel bike. Looking at prices these days and it's pretty expy and I have enough spares to make a hardtail/full rigid.

Have you had any updates on your second build? Prices still the same I assume (aussie dollar a bit better) but shipping and all that should be the same -about a month?

beeb

Looks like I'm following your lead for a second waltly @beeb.

Got hit by a car and totalled my gravel bike. Looking at prices these days and it's pretty expy and I have enough spares to make a hardtail/full rigid.

Have you had any updates on your second build? Prices still the same I assume (aussie dollar a bit better) but shipping and all that should be the same -about a month?
Jeez @Calvin27 - hope you're okay! (Aside from the psychological damage of having a bike written-off of course!)

Frame build took about 5 weeks from when I payed the deposit. Also freight costs have spiraled out even further and it cost me $230USD (simply due to lack of capacity available from COVID-19). I'd anticipated it's cost more, but not that much more if I'm honest. Frame csot was unchanged. It's in transit currently, so all going well probably around 6 weeks from design approval to arrival in my case.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Whoa, hope you are still one piece or did you break the car too?
Thanks folks, battered but nothing I won't recover from. Can't ride for about 6 weeks (coincidence?) Focus on the positives, new bike!

Also freight costs have spiraled out even further and it cost me $230USD
Geezus. I paid something like $150usd. But I guess I make it back on the FX. I think I was bang on 60c when I paid the second installment :!

beeb

Progress pics too please.
Anybody need pics of anything in particular before I assemble it? (Not including pics of myself or parts thereof!)

I'm mostly just swapping parts from other bikes, so aside from running a new dropper cable it shouldn't take too long to get it together...

Will definitely grab some pics of the frame before I build it though. :)