Waltlys Honzo Paradox

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So this was a long time coming but ended up being earlier than I expected. I have been wanting to upgrade from the Honzo for some time and was looking a the Banshee Paradox as the replacement. One came up and it was the wrong time so I missed that and then the bike world went crazy and there wasn't a frame to be found in the country. Cue Waltly titanium custom frame builders, about 2 months from starting the design the frame was at my doorstep, hardest part was dealing with FedEx Australia.

The frame is a blend of everything I like about the Honzo with the modern touches of the Paradox. Short chainstays with sliding dropouts, high stack and low stand over make this a very fun and capable bike for going down and I can definitely feel the weight difference from the Honzo when going up. This is my one bike so it was critical it could handle everything from all day and multi day rides as well as fun and steep downhills. So far I have only tested the climbing and downhill capabilities and I chicken out before the bike is out of its depth.

Frame - Waltly Titanium
Front shock/fork - Suntour Durolux RC2 29er set at 140mm
Handlebars - SQ Labs 30X 12 degree 30mm rise (Big thanks ORBO @russthedo and co for getting it to me so quickly)
Stem - DMR defy 50
Headset - Cane Creek Hellbender
Grips - DMR Death Grips
Saddle - Bontrager something
Seatpost - PNW Rainer 150mm
Front brake - Shimano XT m8100
Rear brake - Shimano XT m8100
Cranks - Shinamo SLX
Pedals - DMR Vault
Rear derailleur - Shimano Zee sometimes
Rear shifter - XT 780 sometimes
Cassette - XT 10spd sometimes
Front hub - DT Swiss 350
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350
Front rim - Race face ARC 30
Rear rim - Race face ARC 30
Spokes - DT Swiss comp
Nipples - Unknown
Tyres - Maxxis Dissector 2.6 front and Mitas Highlander downhill 2.45 rear
Total weight - Probably 13Kg and change.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Very nice.

Do you happen to have the geometry design handy to throw up?

Just got a response back from Waltly, and they no longer offer double butted tubes. Curious whether this will have a significant impact on weight or ride quality?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Just got a response back from Waltly, and they no longer offer double butted tubes. Curious whether this will have a significant impact on weight or ride quality?
Mine isn't double butted and most of the Ti frames being built aren't, when I asked they said it was a strength thing. Regarding weight mine is 1.9kg so is still pretty light.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Looks great. How did you black out your durolux. I had planned to do the same by peeling stickers off but they are under clear coat. Have you applied stickers over top? And where are the trails in the shots above?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Looks great. How did you black out your durolux. I had planned to do the same by peeling stickers off but they are under clear coat. Have you applied stickers over top? And where are the trails in the shots above?
I just use cheap automotive vinyl from eBay was about $5 for a 1m from memory.

The shots are from Rocksanne (one of the red ones at the bottom of the map linked below) at Majura Pines in Canberra. Some really great fun trails.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Most Ti, even the big brands aren't double butted. If you look at the amount of work Reynolds had to go through to make double butted tubing and then how much it costs in steel, then it's clear that Ti double butted would be a serious undertaking, with marginal benefits in strength and weight reduction.

Most Ti, even the big brands aren't double butted. If you look at the amount of work Reynolds had to go through to make double butted tubing and then how much it costs in steel, then it's clear that Ti double butted would be a serious undertaking, with marginal benefits in strength and weight reduction.
Waltly has offered double butting for a while, and it's still spec on a number of its frames on Alibaba. I'm guessing there's big demand right now, and Waltly is setting aside the double butting for larger accounts.