Wanting a new 29er Single Speed

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Want to get a new 29er Single Speed this week as a spare bike and commuting.
Looking at Avanti KISS, Kona Unit, Surly Karate Monkey or Cannondale Trail.
Trying to keep to a budget of under$1400.
Anybody got any opinions on the pro`s and cons of these bikes?
Have I missed any that would fit the budget?
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Cheers
MH

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Would you fit a 19" Redline Monocog Flight?

The lbs ordered a 19" for my mate who rode it a few times and realised it was too big. He then bought the 17" and transfered all the new bits to the 19" and has it for sale. pm me for details if you're keen.

Ticks all the right boxes in terms of bike and budget.

... and they're rad.

ads_11

Likes Bikes
On-One

I built up my On-One Inbred 29er for about that sort of $$

Some prudent purchases on ebay and sites such as Rotorburn makes it doable..

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Want to get a new 29er Single Speed this week as a spare bike and commuting.
Looking at Avanti KISS, Kona Unit, Surly Karate Monkey or Cannondale Trail.
Trying to keep to a budget of under$1400.
Anybody got any opinions on the pro`s and cons of these bikes?
Have I missed any that would fit the budget?
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Cheers
MH
I own an Avanti Kiss, great bike for a grand! Sure others are just as good as well. My thoughts on a single speed 29er is if we went to war on a bike this would be the one they would supply. Robust, no thrills go anywhere sort of army issue type thing.

So I reckon with these models you need to look at the shop deal, warranty, and whether you find one that just feels right - so don't be too governed by brand - apart from maybe hydro brakes and how the chain is tightened.

At the price, they aren't that blingy more a workhorse type components, but then again that's what you want, something you can ram through the bush on.

schwing

Likes Dirt
perhaps a singular swift - had to sell mine but damn it was a nice ride -

check out larry's custom cycles for an aussie dealer

ray

Likes Bikes
I built a KHS Solo One for under a grand, i got the frame ex Dirtworks sale, and a complete bike off a member here, it was a Peace 9er that was a medium fame ( i need a XL ), swapped the parts out and have a great bike now!

In fact, still have the Peace 9er frame and fork if anyone's keen...not a scratch on it..

cheers,

Ray

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Karate Monkey

Thanks for the input people.
Gone with the Karate Monkey.
Stretched the budget a bit but I believe it will be worth it.
My LBS reckons I`ll spend more time on this than my GF. We`ll see.
Now about the matching socks....

rone

Eats Squid
Oops. Already married. Forgot that people with a life look at GF stands for Girl Friend. Should have said Gary Fisher. Am I bad?
It gave me a good laugh if nothing else.

My opinion is that 29ers are most appealing as rigid single speeders.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post up a pic of the new steed.

I have just about finished building a Haro Mary 29 SS "budget" build.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the one thing I have noticed riding a SS 29er is how much you don't need on an mtb, front suspension - nope, rear sus - nope, gears ... sometimes, but it's amazing what you can push up with 33:20. One thing I do need is tubeless.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Had my KM set up full rigid but ended up caving in and getting a set of suspension forks. Best thing I ever did! Some tracks I can see getting away with rigid, but the majority are heaps better with suspension.

I don't know about the world of pain thing, I haven't ridden with gears for months now and while you need to really concentrate on maintaining momentum and be prepared to really grind up hills I don't think its that much harder. Been riding the swift rigid, the pegasus HT and now rigid (& light) and the Lenz Milkmoney full squish...all SS. The Lenz is the most fun and best on a technical climb, the Singulars make you concentrate a bit harder.
We put a Alfine 11 on both the MM & Swift for one ride each and I didn't like it at all...so they are back to SS.

I'll admit I am putting together a geared bike though...

Mal01

Likes Dirt
the one thing I have noticed riding a SS 29er is how much you don't need on an mtb, front suspension - nope, rear sus - nope, gears ... sometimes, but it's amazing what you can push up with 33:20. One thing I do need is tubeless.
Or in other words, one thing (actually two things) you don't need is tubes.