Warburton Mountain Biking Feasibility Study

frug

Likes Bikes
UPDATE: Warburton MTB Park Feasibility Study; calls for comment.

Hi everyone. As you may, or may not know, there is a proposal for a world class quality Mountain Bike Hub to be built in the Warburton area. This proposal has been in the works for several years, and just last week the Yarra Ranges Council unanimously passed the motion that it be put out for public comment.

This proposal needs YOUR comment.

Here's the crux of it:
There will be XC, AM, DH and linking trails built, to suit all levels or riders and abilities.
This proposal has the support of the Yarra Ranges City Council, Parks Victoria, the Department of Primary Industries, Yarra Ranges Mountain Bikers, Warburton CEDA and Warburton Advancement League. The combined support of which has never been seen in Warburton!
Construction cost up to $4.2 million dollars.
Economic benefit for surrounding areas $23.63 million dollars per year.
Could attract up to 130,000 visitors a year.
Create 175 jobs.

and here's the best bit

Up to 97km of new trails would be created in four separate zones linked by the Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail and O’Shannassy Aqueduct Trail.

Please follow this link and send your comments to the email at
the bottom of it: http://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Council/Public_Notices_Consultation/Warburton_Mountain_Bike_Feasibility_Study

The whole feasibility study (325 pages) is also on the link page.

The number of comments and variety of comment locations we get, will show the council that mountain bikers love to travel, but also that if a world class hub was built just 90mins from Melbourne CBD, that people would use it.

Public comment is only open for 8 weeks (closes Thurs 10th July), so I urge everyone to share, copy, paste, email, mail, fax, like, letter drop, and tell as many people as you can, or this extremely exciting project might not get the backing it requires.

Your comment does not need to be long, it just needs to show YOUR support. We all love to ride new trails!

Happy riding!!

10258567_641223092631190_537651070030015569_n.jpg

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great.

Warburton is a great little town & now another excuse to head there. Some serious hills out that way & with World Trail behind it we can expect some quality trails.

Now, can they get it sorted by 2017 please.

fundermental

Likes Bikes
I was speaking to Matt at the Push Bike Shop in Pakenham who was telling me if this goes ahead it would be huge. I seriously recommend anyone who rides in Vic, or ever plans to ride in Vic to email the study expressing interest. I know I would ride there, and I really hope it goes ahead.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are no dh tracks in Warby, so there's nothing to remove.
I reckon it's a legitimate question. This idea we all cling to that the warby tracks are still 'secret' is misguided. Those tracks are plenty crowded now so the word is out. To come back to the question of how this proposed trail network impacts on those tracks, I'm keen to get a sense of that too. These are two of my absolute favourite tracks anywhere in Vic and i'd be gutted to see them negatively impacted by this.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Have sent a support email and filled in the online poll. This would be great to see happen. It would convert me from an annual Warby tourist/visitor into a weekly one.

I reckon it's a legitimate question. This idea we all cling to that the warby tracks are still 'secret' is misguided. Those tracks are plenty crowded now so the word is out. To come back to the question of how this proposed trail network impacts on those tracks, I'm keen to get a sense of that too. These are two of my absolute favourite tracks anywhere in Vic and i'd be gutted to see them negatively impacted by this.
Check the report, section 3.3.3.2.
Not sure how secret these tracks are (never seen them), but the idea that TPTB are against advertising their details or location seems to not hold true. Looks like they've been pretty well detailed, in a pretty comprehensive report sent by TPTB to the same community which said trails are supposed to be kept secret from for comment.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Agree with all you say here, it was a tongue in cheek response.. I know specci well and know that these are some of his favourites too, if he can ever score them dry
EDIT haha Johnnie you were thinking of the wrong area huh?

Last edited:

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree with all you say here, it was a tongue in cheek response.. I know specci well and know that these are some of his favourites too, if he can ever score them dry
EDIT haha Johnnie you were thinking of the wrong area huh?
Sarcasm? here on Rotorburn? haha. Fair enough mate. Either way, I'd hate to see those tracks butchered. Build a good management trail to the drop off point, then leave them alone.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Bumping this to the top....

I have read the entire proposal and have just provided feedback. Bumping to the top to remind others that haven't yet provided feedback to do so.