VIC ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

frug

Likes Bikes
I've just walked up Matt's Track/Top Track and found that ALL the jumps have been maliciously vandalised.

Below are some pics I took.

As you can see, someone has attacked the take off ramps by removing the top logs.

As of TODAY, all the jumps on Matt's Track/Top Track have been damaged and are un-ridable and VERY dangerous.

This and ALL tracks on Mount Bride/Tuggwell are now closed. This includes Top, Tip Top, Matt's, New and LaLa.

There is to be NO trail maintenance on ANY trails until further notice. This is from DELWP (DEPI) as well as the trail builders.

I know this is crap, but it needs to happen.

The MTB haters of Warby are on a mission to stop ALL mountain biking in the area and they will stop at nothing to see this happen.

If people continue to ride, maintain or build trails up on Mount Bride/Tuggwell this WILL give the haters fodder and this amazing placed to ride will become no more.

It's time for a reality check and get serious about the future of the trails in Warby.

Things are happening in the background to help secure our trails, so PLEASE don't make our job any harder than it already is. We haven't given up, the fight is still in us.

Please respect these closures and spread the word to all your mates.

I cannot stress how important it is for everyone to respect these closures.

If you want to help us with moving forward, please join YRMTB group. The more financial members we have, the bigger the voice.

Kind regards
Warburton Trail Fairies

Attachments

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Farrrrk, that sucks!

All that hard work wasted by some chump with a stick stuck too far up their ass. :tsk:
I spread the word to all the riders I know.

Thanks for the update!

frug

Likes Bikes
****** Update *********

Signs and fencing have now been erected on Matt's and What You Do tracks.
These signs have been erected by the trail builders and maintenance crews as a direct result of the latest illegal trail maintenance and unwanted track usage.
The local trail builders and maintenance crews have been working very closely with DELWP over the last 6 months to create a very strong working relationship. DELWP have seen these new track closure signs and are extremely happy with the efforts the responsible local riders are taking to give the existing trails the best chance at a future here in Warby.

As you can see, there are Track Closure signs and also Bunting indicating the track closures. These are located in several spots along the trails.
I have also added more pictures of the latest trail destruction/vandalism. This latest vandalism has effected all and more trail features. Not only the jumps but also wooden ramps and bridges. This has never occurred before to this extent and I believe it is a DIRECT result of the post by Max Fish on September 6th, stating the trails had been fixed and encouraging everyone to come ride them, without any consultation with the trails builders, maintenance crews or DELWP.

Several phone calls from concerned locals were made to DELWP after Max's post, concerning the illegal trail maintenance.

If you continue to build or ride the MTB trails on Mount Tuggwell before there is an "ok" by DELWP THERE WILL BE NO TRAILS.

Also, Game Cameras have been set up in places to film ANY activity on the trails. All footage WILL be handed over to DELWP to be perused further.

It is sad that our epic trails have come to these extreme measures, but without the cooperation of the trail users, the future of MTBking in Warby could be doomed.

Please share this post to EVERYONE.

Attachments

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is so dissapointing. I'd hate to know how many hours went into creating these amazing features that have just been destroyed. Best of luck with DELWP

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Signs and fencing have now been erected on Matt's and What You Do tracks.
Frug, I can see what you're trying to do but those signs should be worded differently and have contact details on them. If you haven't already done so, shoot a sample over to the land manager's office and say that you will be placing these up. They *must* have a copy on file.

If you continue to build or ride the MTB trails on Mount Tuggwell before there is an "ok" by DELWP THERE WILL BE NO TRAILS.
Good luck with that one. We've had huge problems with some MTB cowboys going out to do their own thing under the excuse of caring for trail. We came *so close* to losing trail along the yarra trail network - and still might lose some sections. :frusty:. Like I said, good luck with that one.

It is sad that our epic trails have come to these extreme measures, but without the cooperation of the trail users, the future of MTBking in Warby could be doomed.
You will find more authorised trail closures will take place over this spring and summer season. The relevant authorities are cracking down on cowboys who selfishly and misguidedly go off on their own with huge works - but ignore putting effort into a legal path to creating and managing trail.

You know the irony of all of this? Many of the officers of the relevant authorities are mountain bikers themselves and all they need are people to drive trail management for MTB activities. If you can gather a group of level headed enthusiasts who are passionate about the sport - but can demonstrate that they do not find objective reality elusive, then you will have a sympathetic ear with authorities. But - you will have to push and drive it with the authorities.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
So disappointing to see the damage, I hv no idea why people would undertake such destructive acts.

Hoping if comes together for you soon as I'm keen to visit the lovely Warby again soon.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what I don't get is why you need to build all that infrastructure in to have fun on the trails, you're making your presence obvious and your impact on environment vs making trails that blend into natural surroundings and features.

of course you're going to attract dickheads that will come along and see your jump construction as a threat to the natural environment.

this is only my observation/comment but I think if you used materials that were at the site as opposed to obvious purpose built stuff, you'd have less issues in the longer term.

mate in the US has had similar challenges with his group and the stealthy approach has neutralized the haters.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
what I don't get is why you need to build all that infrastructure in to have fun on the trails, you're making your presence obvious and your impact on environment vs making trails that blend into natural surroundings and features.

of course you're going to attract dickheads that will come along and see your jump construction as a threat to the natural environment.

this is only my observation/comment but I think if you used materials that were at the site as opposed to obvious purpose built stuff, you'd have less issues in the longer term.

mate in the US has had similar challenges with his group and the stealthy approach has neutralized the haters.
Totally agree. the great thing about the trails at warby is that, apart from a couple of features, they are so organic and play on the lay of the land rather than being manufactured. They generally hold up to the forces of nature well, and have always been pretty well managed - kept pretty quiet until recently, respected by all, closed off during winter - and have been around for longer than i've been riding but still hold their own as some of the best built and best to ride trails there are. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's insane that these tracks aren't front and center of the push for legal trails in the area. Maybe they need a tweak here and there to appease the powers that be, but with a foundation like that to build on you're already ahead of the eight ball. Rather than shutting them out, which has created a bit of negative feedback around the whole thing and inspired some extreme idiots to go up and start vandalising them in an attempt to bring the whole thing down. Now with a recent rejection of funding (until I think atleast April?) Warburton has all of a sudden been left as the place NOT to be this summer season. It's a real shame.

frug

Likes Bikes
************ Warburton Trails Update: A Win!!!!! *****************

Warby Trail Update: A win!!!

Hi everyone.

After a very long slog, DELWP have officially recognised and approved 3 of the long established trails up in the Mount Bride area.
Attached are the official docs provided by DELWP outlining this Mountain bike precinct.

Please have a good read.

What does this mean?
This means that YRMTB can conduct authorised maintenance on "Matt's Track", "What U Do" and "Crusher Track".
This also means that DELWP officially recognise that these trails are Mountain Bike specific trails and Motor Bikes are not permitted to ride on them.
Finally this also means that DELWP officially recognise these trails as an asset, therefore committing to the care of these trails with YRMTB.

What happens now?
The trails are still currently closed. Over the last year, with no use, the Motor Bike riders have been on the trails and ripped them to shreds. All the trails need an immense amount of work. This work will be carried out over this Winter by volunteer working bees, so next Summer it'll be all good.

Maintenance on trails:
YRMTB will be working very closely with DELWP to organise volunteer working bees. Each working bee will be authorised by DELWP and supervised by a Volunteer Coordinator.

You are all very passionate about the trails up here, so now is the time to step up and lend a hand.

Mat Verruso is the Volunteer Coordinator, so please contact him to put your names down for maintenance days.

David de Podolinsky is the DELWP contact and can be reached on 5965 9901 if you have any questions.

On a personal note I'd like to thank everyone for their patience. It has been heart breaking turning people away from the area. We all know how amazing the trails are here and now it's time to really show how Mountain Biking can be a positive impact on local community as well as a legitimate use of public forest.

The authorising of these trails also means that these trails are the VERY FIRST officially recognised Mountain Bike trails in the whole Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Ranges!! Out of all the amazing trails that we all ride, finally there are 3 we can ride legitimately.

Please share this info with all your mates and razz up as much interest as you can. Many hands make light work.

A great win for YRMTB and all legitimate users of public lands!!

interim recommnedationf for Mountain Biking in the Old Warburton area_community letter (Large).jpg

Old Warburton MTB (Large).jpg

Interim recommendations for MTB_Old Warburton (final)_March-2016-1 (Large).jpg

Interim recommendations for MTB_Old Warburton (final)_March-2016-2 (Large).jpg

Interim recommendations for MTB_Old Warburton (final)_March-2016-3 (Large).jpg

Interim recommendations for MTB_Old Warburton (final)_March-2016-4 (Large).jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks to everyone involved with getting it to this point. Hopefully the sanctioned trails will retain most of the raw feeling of the originals.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I put my hand up for lending a hand in the trail rebuild and repair.

Awesome to see these trails coming back!

jarrod839

Banned
A good win indeed.

But reading sounds like downhill is given the flick instead catering for fully sick enduro.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
A good win indeed.

But reading sounds like downhill is given the flick instead catering for fully sick enduro.
As I said to friends earlier:
It's only really the top track that has DH moments, but overall it's more than doable on a 160 bike.
Matt's new track would probably be best on a 130-160mm bike, and the Crusher track, anything from a hardtail to 160 (which may even be overkill) would be best.

I'd call LaLa a pretty serious DH track, but that's been chopped out.

They seem correct in their trail classification, but by the sounds of things aren't giving DH the flick... just looking for a more appropriate location for the building of fresh DH trails that won't irritate local residents (shuttle road dust, etc).