VIC ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
1. Cutting down trees, dislodging rocks is destroying landscape not regenerating it.

2. When I was there the DELWP workers said that those particular trails are going to be rebuilt (don't know by who), next year. So why would you completely destroy a trail that and then as you say "regenerate it" for a year then allow trails to be built there after that. Seems completely illogical.
My guess is that they don't want dodgy trail work that they can't sign off on in their land. Perhaps.
In any case. Pv/delwp are delwp happy to support trail making and riding when the process is done properly - look at lysty and youeys. Don't be so against them when you're only speculating

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My guess is that they don't want dodgy trail work that they can't sign off on in their land. Perhaps.
In any case. Pv/delwp are delwp happy to support trail making and riding when the process is done properly - look at lysty and youeys. Don't be so against them when you're only speculating
Plus, they just opened the first sanctioned trail in Warby, with more planned.

Are you actually joking mate, the trail was in really good condition, and was one of the best all mountain trails in the state; nice sized jumps and drops with good run ins and run outs as well as being well thought out in size, good dirt, took more than a minute to get down. In an area where you don't have overly steep terrain thats easy to cut in, lots of rocks and boulders it's a quality trail.

Seems pretty disrespectful to all the people who helped build it and maintain it that your calling it dodgy trail work, when those Warburton trails where some of the best built around Victoria. No need to have a go at trail of it not what you simply just don't like to ride, or perhaps maybe your just a beginner and need to build up your skills and confidence first. Also sorry if I have offended you as from your comments I can assume you some type of public servant maybe even DELWP worker, its not what I intended was just annoyed that the area lost a spot to ride.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Are you actually joking mate, the trail was in really good condition, and was one of the best all mountain trails in the state; nice sized jumps and drops with good run ins and run outs as well as being well thought out in size, good dirt, took more than a minute to get down. In an area where you don't have overly steep terrain thats easy to cut in, lots of rocks and boulders it's a quality trail.

Seems pretty disrespectful to all the people who helped build it and maintain it that your calling it dodgy trail work, when those Warburton trails where some of the best built around Victoria. No need to have a go at trail of it not what you simply just don't like to ride, or perhaps maybe your just a beginner and need to build up your skills and confidence first. Also sorry if I have offended you as from your comments I can assume you some type of public servant maybe even DELWP worker, its not what I intended was just annoyed that the area lost a spot to ride.
Ha mate, fair play. You've taken offence to my use of the word dodgy. Apologies for that but you know the sentiment - regardless of how sweet the trails were in your eyes.
I last rode there 6-7 years ago so can't comment on their recent state.

Also, good guess, I work in land management, so I have great sympathy for our state managers, as well as understanding of the competing values around land management.
Sweet trails are well supported in many areas of public land, just not your patch. I understand though that negotiations are ongoing though.
Mate, if you really want sweet trails that are legal, I suggest getting involved in the process. Yvmtb are very active in this space.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
DEWLP are actually quite good to work with if you're willing to work with them. They've recently helped get Narby recognised as an official trail, put up signs, trail maps and cleared out the event village at the end of the track.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
This trail that run along side the road WAS built with knowledge of dewlp, they were even present at some of the build days.
I was involved with the IMBA assessments of this trail and the others in the area and they are ALL up to spec and were to be signed off.
Such a waste of time and money destroying many hours of hard work and good work by volunteers which attracted people to the area.
Its great that Hey Hey My My is open finally, should have been opened a year ago.

frug

Likes Bikes
This trail that run along side the road WAS built with knowledge of dewlp, they were even present at some of the build days.
I was involved with the IMBA assessments of this trail and the others in the area and they are ALL up to spec and were to be signed off.
Such a waste of time and money destroying many hours of hard work and good work by volunteers which attracted people to the area.
Its great that Hey Hey My My is open finally, should have been opened a year ago.
So I'm not sure who you are Latheboy, but both PinHead and Warpij were NEVER built with DELWP approval or agreement. YRMTB have had a few volunteer maintenance days up there under the guidance of DELWP, however with changes to DELWP staffing, interactions by the public towards DELWP, inclusion of these trails in the Warburton Cycling Hub plans and and the fact that these trails have NEVER been officially opened have all contributed to the current state of the trails.

If any of you (and I'm aiming this as those that have never participated an any YRMTB volunteer days) have bothered to attend any of the YRMTB committee meetings (which are open to the public and anyone can attend) you will all know the full story and not just rumours and stuff made up. DELWP have been very reasonable and very helpful with all things regarding these trails. We don't own the land, they do. It's the riders out there that don't respect the processes and trails closures, that result in land managers taking action.

Instead of bitching and moaning about the trails and the future of them, why not get involved and come to the meetings, attend the volunteer days, become a committee member or even BECOME A FINANCIAL MEMBER!! Shit, don't leave it up to the same people all the time to do all the work. Get involved or keep quiet. If you've got time to ride these trails, go to the pub or sit in front of your computer slamming peoples hard work, then you've got no excuse not to lend a hand. Oh, if you've helped out on any YRMTB volunteer days, please don't see this rant as aimed at you.

DELWP have the interest of the Tugwell trails in their asset future, so I'd suggest that you all give the DELWP Powelltown office a call on 03 5965 9901 and ask your questions and get the answers.

On a much more positive note YRMTB have a maintenance day for Hey Hey My My THIS Sunday: https://www.facebook.com/events/363867880754166/

There's also the trail opening ride details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/177717809508318/

Rant over.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Approval and agreement v's knowledge are to very different things, so you are right in saying so.

i'll send you a PM Frug

This is only really exiting if you ride XC, from trail map almost all of it is XC and flow with a few all mountain tracks and no DH, it's hardly going to be a MTB Mecca, actually seems like a waste of money to me. Just out of curiosity why are there going to be no DH tracks all the MTB travel destinations in Australia and the world are either majority trail/enduro or DH?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are no DH trails at Derby, I'm confident it's becoming a worldwide recognized MTB destination.
Despite no DH trails I don't think it is considered a waste of money.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I'd also suggest that the DH crowd makes up a very small percentage of the overall MTB collective.
Yep, majority are riders on bikes under $1500.. Bullet did a big study a few years back, downhill was of minimal impact on things.

Yep, majority are riders on bikes under $1500.. Bullet did a big study a few years back, downhill was of minimal impact on things.

There are no DH trails at Derby, I'm confident it's becoming a worldwide recognized MTB destination.
Despite no DH trails I don't think it is considered a waste of money.

I'd also suggest that the DH crowd makes up a very small percentage of the overall MTB collective.
On all 3 of your points, Derby are now putting in DH tracks, as well as Derby being majority enduro/trail not XC (which I did say in my original post) also I think you will find that DH would make up quite a large amount on the collective that actually travel internationally and interstate for MTB. Also I have found that most people who travel for MTB have quite expensive bikes definitely over $1500.

I don't know of one person who would travel internationally to ride XC trails, can you name one worldwide MTB destination that has majority XC trails?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Derby will only become a destination of choice once the DH trails go in?
Using this example, if Warburton starts with XC trails for the majority of the riding population and progresses to having DH trails, it’s still a waste of money?

I’m pretty confident in saying that more people would travel to NZ, America and Canada to ride 'XC' over DH - By a long way. All the marketing speak aside, unless you are shuttling, everything is Cross Country. Almost every major 'DH' destination would have huge networks of XC trails, your'e just deciding to ignore that fact

How many DH trails does Moab have, that's pretty popular?

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rotorua is another example of a successful destination not designed around DH trails.
I love DH but the poor shuttling practices and etiquette around Warburton in recent times by one or two people has brought a bad focus from protesting locals and is good reason to keep DH on the quiet until the project gets approval and funding. Once the acceptance and trails are in, then is the time to campaign for more DH trails, not now.