Warburton trail updates

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I think Warburton will probably end up being the gold standard example of Nimby-ism the world over.

I'd have a guess most of them would pull out their garden hoses and 'fight' rather than evacuate, so evacuation times probably don't really come into play.
I said this on the ABC thread on Facebook to a nimby - if they're so concerned about fire safety and listen to the experts on it, they'll be off the mountain anyway before the day starts and any rider that's idiot enough to be up there on a 40degree day won't be a threat to them.

It's like they're expecting us to come up there in droves on high fire danger days. Yeah, I'm super keen to smash out a lazy 100km while sucking in hot dry air that mummifies your tongue every time you inhale.

Clutching at straws.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think Warburton will probably end up being the gold standard example of Nimby-ism the world over.

I'd have a guess most of them would pull out their garden hoses and 'fight' rather than evacuate, so evacuation times probably don't really come into play.
It will be the same for the Illawarra escarpment MTB project. it is just ramping up now and the REF was just released. After several compromises to move trails away from cultural sensitive areas, reduce the trail length, re do the trail design the NImbys are now hard at work finding any reason to block the project.
They say that the area is too fragile for mtb that has been there for 30 years yet the current standard of upgrading walking tracks to make the 3 - 6m wide is ok. Public gardens that pushed into the escarpment in the 60s is ok. They volunteer at these garden to preserve the good old English garden but won’t join mtb riders pulling rubbish out of NPWS land.

I just did 4 years on NPWS regional advisory committee and all I heard from the other members on the committee was mtb bad bush walking good. It did not matter what I brought to the table mtb is still bad bush walking good.

Last edited:

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfcs9rHBrC-/liked_by/
https://www.instagram.com/traction.mountainbiking/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfcs9rHBrC-/liked_by/
yrmtb

Alright Team! It’s go time. This is it. The most important moment in the history of the Warburton Mountain Bike destination. This moment may last another 2 weeks, it may last til the end of the year. However, an answer on Warburton is due from the Hon MP @lizzieblandthorn planning minister in July. All going to plan, we will have an answer sometime this month. After this month, it’s in overtime and an answer could come at any moment.

If this project matters to you, If having bike access to national park is important to you, if being able to share and spread the love and positivity of the mountain bike community is important to you, you absolutely HAVE to send an email off to Ms Blandthorn. Do not delay.

Subject - ATTN Minister for Planning: I SUPPORT THE WARBURTON MOUNTAIN BIKE DESTINATION

Email: Lizzie.blandthorn@parliament.vic.gov.au

I cut and paste this from YRMTB insta account

I doubt they are going to open all the emails but may see the subject in the inbox if there is enough of them . ATTN Minister for Planning: I SUPPORT THE WARBURTON MOUNTAIN BIKE DESTINATION

While it is late , those against have just sent in a petition with 300 signatures on it late , we have to make that look like the minority ,

say something positive about how great its going to be ,how you will go there to ride your bike and support the local economy blah blah blah

Cheers

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfcs9rHBrC-/

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the enthusiasm but fail to see how emailing the minister would change/influence a decision of this scale, particularly with so many interested parties

Flow-Rider

Burner
Love the enthusiasm but fail to see how emailing the minister would change/influence a decision of this scale, particularly with so many interested parties
It's political pressure, and mountain bikers vote too. Most of these projects come down to user conflict and they use every excuse they can to delay or block the project from going further. I bet if the project was restricted to walking only trails that not many would bat an eyelid about them.

I didn't agree with them, but a group here stopped about 6 illegal trails from being destroyed this way, and the bulldozers were at the trail heads ready to go. The problem they have now is that the trails are in limbo until either they can seek further funding to sanction them, or the council changes and they go back on the chopping block.

teK--

Eats Squid
This. If I was a minister I would not lend any weight to a few hundred generic "petition" emails

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I guess in the local area , those for it are very concerned, that the small group against it are going to appear to be in much bigger numbers than the reality , because they are so vocal about it how they go about it ,

I’ve got no idea how much the minister takes into account, , what do the local people want ?

but the calls to email her were in response to them sending in another signed petition , everyone is on edge

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
This. If I was a minister I would not lend any weight to a few hundred generic "petition" emails
Right or wrong, ministers take on board public opinion in their decision making and if the people who want the trails stopped are making noise then those that want the trails to go ahead should make noise too. While the decision should absolutely be made on evidence and merit, make no mistake that it will also be made on public sentiment.
Sending emails is important to show there is a strong public support for the initiative to go ahead. Sending mine in the next 5 mins.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Right or wrong, ministers take on board public opinion in their decision making and if the people who want the trails stopped are making noise then those that want the trails to go ahead should make noise too. While the decision should absolutely be made on evidence and merit, make no mistake that it will also be made on public sentiment.
Sending emails is important to show there is a strong public support for the initiative to go ahead. Sending mine in the next 5 mins.
This is exactly what a friend of my wife says, after I gave her the summary of this whole situation. She’s in the ministerial office of a current federal minister