Warburton trail updates

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Next trail building days for the DH trails.

Nov 19th/20th
Nov 26th/27th
Dec 03rd/04th

More details to follow soon.

Would be great to get as many hands on deck as possible.
Bring tools (shovels, nail rakes, rakhos) and gloves. Hi-vis and helmets are provided.

Happy to help on those dates. Who do I need to contact and I have another 1 committed to help?

Rich

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Just bring some tools and show up on the day is generally the go. Maybe hit attending on the FB event page.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Keen to get on the shovel and help out. Nov dates no good for me, ignition and then away, but dec. should be a goer.
Glad to hear the top section of Lala is still in the mix, rad trail. Still makes me weep that that trails gone. Best trail in Vic.
Kudos to all getting on board and getting Warby happening again, it's a huge loss to the sport to not have what we had out there 3+ years ago!!
I'm in the same boat re dates, but will definitely attend in Dec, possibly can make the 26th Nov if I get away earlyish.

What makes me weep about Lala is why it's gone. Could so easily have been avoided.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm in the same boat re dates, but will definitely attend in Dec, possibly can make the 26th Nov if I get away earlyish.

What makes me weep about Lala is why it's gone. Could so easily have been avoided.
As far as I know there are 4 reasons it had to go. The obvious pick up point, the road crossing, the accessing of the trail from that crossing point and access in the case of an emergency. Then there's the issue of ball swinging... sacrificial lamb syndrome. Something had to go to appease the trail gods, couldn't let the hordes have everything their own way.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
As far as I know there are 4 reasons it had to go. The obvious pick up point, the road crossing, the accessing of the trail from that crossing point and access in the case of an emergency. Then there's the issue of ball swinging... sacrificial lamb syndrome. Something had to go to appease the trail gods, couldn't let the hordes have everything their own way.
Agree on 3 of those, but I think the emergency access thing is a moot point. I think if the shuttle community had gotten a little smarter about things they would have realised that for an extra 2-3mins drive you can avoid driving pasts both sets of locals who kicked up a stink and ultimately resulted in said sacrificial lamb syndrome. Just before Lala was closed for good (all the deadfall for miles thrown in to block it) we saw a crew shuttling and couldn't figure out where the hell they were riding as they set off the other way along from the carpark. After wasting an embarrassing amount of time looking for some mythical secret trail they had built, we finally figured out that they were simply shuttling Lala the 'other way'.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Really? I don't know this other way of which you speak.. pointlessly, I'm intrigued..
Sorry what I meant by emergency access is, from the point of view of a legal trail as part of the proposed hub, to extract an injured rider was too difficult. I was there when a guy we were riding with had a big off just after the steep chute/creek crossing. It was 6 hrs before we got him down to a waiting ambulance at the bottom car park, and it was a big effort involving ambulance crew and equipment and ses guys. I know anywhere on a MTB trail is going to be difficult to access, but I did hear this was one of the considerations n this trail. I do however believe that this and other points could have been worked out had authorities WANTED to.. hence the ball swinging comment.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Really? I don't know this other way of which you speak.. pointlessly, I'm intrigued..
Sorry what I meant by emergency access is, from the point of view of a legal trail as part of the proposed hub, to extract an injured rider was too difficult. I was there when a guy we were riding with had a big off just after the steep chute/creek crossing. It was 6 hrs before we got him down to a waiting ambulance at the bottom car park, and it was a big effort involving ambulance crew and equipment and ses guys. I know anywhere on a MTB trail is going to be difficult to access, but I did hear this was one of the considerations n this trail. I do however believe that this and other points could have been worked out had authorities WANTED to.. hence the ball swinging comment.
Where you park at the bottom of Top Track, instead of driving back down Mt Bride Rd and past grumpy/uptight/track sabotaging neighbour #1, you continue along the gravel road where the parking is, which makes a right turn and joins onto Old Warburton road further down. You then have the riders who had just completed Lala ride 100m out the access road to be picked up (preferably keeping swearing and talking loudly to a minimum), which avoids shutting past grumpy/uptight/track sabotaging neighbor #2. Literally adds only about 5 minutes to the turnaround time.

Totally see your point about access, it was always one of the worst tracks in that respect.

frug

Likes Bikes
****** Warburton Trails Maintenance Days Nov/Dec UPDATE ******

YRMTB are having trail maintenance days on the 19th & 20th (Nov), 26th & 27th (Nov), 3rd & 4th (Dec).

These next 3 weekends we will be concentrating our focus on the trails on Mount Bride/Tugwell.

These trails include Topbot (Tip Top), Pinhead (Top Track) and Warpij (New Flow) Track.

Lots of work to be done rebuilding jumps, fixing brake stutters, reconstructing berms and general trail maintenance.

Dates: 19th & 20th (Nov), 26th & 27th (Nov), 3rd & 4th (Dec).
Time: 9am for a 9:30am start
Meeting Point: Meet on the corner of Mount Bride Rd and Edwardstown Rd, Warburton. (bottom of Warpij)
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/nDbFQuQDuH32
What to bring: Shovels, nail rakes, mattocks, picks, chain saw (with qualifications), Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), Rake Hoes, food and water.

Everyone is welcome, so spread the word!!

You can spend as much or as little time out there. More hands make light work.

We all know how rad these trails were, so give something back to the trails and lets get them primed ready for Summer!!

If you've never ridden out here, this is the perfect opportunity to see what all the hype is about and contribute to something special!!

Update info can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/yrmtb/ (Public page, so you don't need to be a FB member to see info!!)

See ya'll there!!
Doug
YRMTB Secretary

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
No dramas, I'll update with what work has been/gets done if anyone is curious.

I saw signage for Crusher (though it has a new name now) on FB, wonder if today's group did that, or work was started on the DH.

Find out tomorrow!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Small turnout... myself and two friends, Matt and Doug.

Worked on the 'new' track, now called Warpij.
Ended up creating a B-line along the top side of the log, as the log is too narrow and would have resulted in the trail being graded as double black if no B-line was created.

Also reworked a few jumps and landings to comply with coming in under the 'single black' umbrella.

Someone had been out there and done a little work alone, also raked out the whole track.
It's looking quite good and only needs some minor stuff done toward the end now.

No work done on the main track yet, does need quite a bit done though.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Small turnout... myself and two friends, Matt and Doug.

Worked on the 'new' track, now called Warpij.
Ended up creating a B-line along the top side of the log, as the log is too narrow and would have resulted in the trail being graded as double black if no B-line was created.

Also reworked a few jumps and landings to comply with coming in under the 'single black' umbrella.

Someone had been out there and done a little work alone, also raked out the whole track.
It's looking quite good and only needs some minor stuff done toward the end now.

No work done on the main track yet, does need quite a bit done though.
Thanks for the report, sounds like a bit of a disappointing turnout (probabluy due to ignition) but at least you got some good work done. Great idea putting in a B line along the top of the log ride - if there's any hint of moisture that's pretty scary to ride. Although I did think the black plastic matting was going to be used to create a ramp along it.

I should be able to make it out this Sat, hopefully others can as well.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Warby MTB Hub community info session

For anyone that's interested, Yarra Ranges Council are running another drop in session for the community to review the latest draft master plan at the Mechanics Hall tomorrow at 4.00pm to 7.30pm.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Build days still happening this weekend? If so, where/when are we meeting?

I don't have any trail building tools, would anyone be able to loan me something for the day? I've got one other interested as well.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Build days still happening this weekend? If so, where/when are we meeting?

I don't have any trail building tools, would anyone be able to loan me something for the day? I've got one other interested as well.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I swang by Bunnings and bought a shovel and a nail rake the first time I went out. Wasn't too pricey!