Product Review [Warning: blood e.t.c.] Considering a Bell Super 3R... think again

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Wow, didn't realise they were around that long.
They were shown in the Kranked movie series; mid to late nineties and far out they were ugly! I remember a blow up in Canada when they were barred from being used for racing and the eight guys that owned them lost their shit.
Hey @scblack , didn't you need to undo the front section by using an allen key? It didn't just unclip from memory?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
On the flipside though, if we were all serious about helmets and protecting ourselves and maybe in my case especially; wearing something that looks good then there'd be no open face helmets at all and a solid fullface would be the only option. Roadies would wear them, XC guys would wear them, E bikers would wear them.
You only need a helmet when you need a helmet. Don't sell yourself short by getting some flimsy piece of shit junk. Buy a decent fullface and live to tell the tale.
This whole discussion seems to have a few parallels with the mandatory helmet laws debate. In particular, the idea that creating the perception that helmets provide more protection than they actually do can have a negative impact on safety (or so the argument goes). The argument is that by mandating that everyone wears a helmet, then motorists are more inclined to take risks around them as they look more protected now. I believe there was some data to back it up, but don't really want to go digging for it right now.

It seems the same applies to the removable chin bar deal, it creates the perception of more protection, but falls short of delivering it. On that basis you argue that it has a negative impact on safety vs. a half lid, as it makes you think you can ride in situations where you should really be wearing a proper DH helmet.

scblack

Leucocholic
They were shown in the Kranked movie series; mid to late nineties and far out they were ugly! I remember a blow up in Canada when they were barred from being used for racing and the eight guys that owned them lost their shit.
Hey @scblack , didn't you need to undo the front section by using an allen key? It didn't just unclip from memory?
It was an allen key, correct. Two bolts each side.

*** Edit. My error, seems it was three each side.***

BT180

Max Pfaff
On that basis you argue that it has a negative impact on safety vs. a half lid, as it makes you think you can ride in situations where you should really be wearing a proper DH helmet.
100%. I feel way more confident wearing the FF when compared to the half shell.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I have a bell super DH without the Aussie standards sticker.
Click like if you're mad right now.

Also have a Giro Disciple which is an awesome full face lid that I use on shuttle days like Bright and Maydena

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
I've kept my opinion on helmets with a removable chin piece off the public forums for a while but this thread makes me think it's time to talk about it from a race organiser's perspective.
I hate the fucking things, they shouldn't be allowed to be manufactured let alone sold as something that protects your grill. I won't let people race a downhill event using one, no way. I've seen a few dudes go tits up and those things are piles of shit in a good impact (as we're seeing here with Andy). Personally, I'd never go near one mainly because they look ridiculous and the idea of staying cool on a climb by removing a piece? Lame!
On the flipside though, if we were all serious about helmets and protecting ourselves and maybe in my case especially; wearing something that looks good then there'd be no open face helmets at all and a solid fullface would be the only option. Roadies would wear them, XC guys would wear them, E bikers would wear them.
You only need a helmet when you need a helmet. Don't sell yourself short by getting some flimsy piece of shit junk. Buy a decent fullface and live to tell the tale.
Thanks mate, a good perspective from someone concerned for safety of others as an event organiser.

You've said basically what I've been trying to all along but couldn't word it how I wanted to.

This is the first big injury I've had on a bike. I grew up riding and racing bmx. I used to ride from home to castle Hill bmx track (over an hour ride), fly out the starting gate, clear every single jump with ease, manual for days and ride home after. I used to just wear a motocross helmet back then and funnily enough never had a decent crash.

I'm older now (39), but still feel comfortable on a bike. Being married and having responsibilities has made me a lot more cautious of my riding. Having this crash hit home that it can happen at any time, no matter how confident you are. I literally came off riding down a trail not actually doing anything technical or hard, just clipped a rock I didn't see because I didn't scout the trail before hand which I always like to do.

I guess the point I'm trying to raise is, I hadn't ridden this section of trail before, I heard it had a couple of nice jumps in the run and with the chin bar on that day I felt like I was up for anything. I was just too confident and didn't do a once over of the trail to see anything to note. Once i went OTB the chin bar just broke and ripped open my face. I honestly believe if i was wearing my tld d3 I would have been fine, probably still sore but I think i mentioned outside the face I had literally no other injuries or scratches.

I will stand by the same comment you made, I don't think these helmets should be on the market, it's just a compromise in safety and I know if anyone had it happen to them they would be saying the same thing. It also helps that you have seen first hand how poor these are in a situation where a proper full face helmet should have been worn.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
It seems the same applies to the removable chin bar deal, it creates the perception of more protection, but falls short of delivering it. On that basis you argue that it has a negative impact on safety vs. a half lid, as it makes you think you can ride in situations where you should really be wearing a proper DH helmet.
Exactly how I feel, well worded mate and the theory is strong in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
@Dozer, while you have your organisers cap on, can you specify in the T&Cs of an event what helmets can and can't be worn? If your event says full face only and downhill rated and I rock up with a Switchblade (which is both) would I be turned away and not allowed to race?

As for the ff face everywhere...

kezzad

Squid
This. Whilst the onus is on a rider not to be a complete fuckwit, if you have a genuine belief that your gear will protect you to a certain degree then you're going to take additional risks.

That's a concern I have with this helmet. It augments a riders thought under false pretenses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
@Dozer, while you have your organisers cap on, can you specify in the T&Cs of an event what helmets can and can't be worn? If your event says full face only and downhill rated and I rock up with a Switchblade (which is both) would I be turned away and not allowed to race?

MTBA regs specifically state no removable chin bars for DH.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I ride Mountain bikes as an inherent risk taker. I feel like I'm 15 whenever I'm riding gravity trails and I always wear protective gear, knee pads, padded shorts, padded vest or hard shell vest and.......... a Bell Super 2R.

I feel like I am more protected than when I ride XC stuff, without the chin bar, but injuries can happen regardless. I've gone OTB with open face, Bell Super 2R and Full Face, impacting the head in all. Worst crash was with the FF, knocked out but no major injuries.

The way we ride involves risk, we are all mature enough to decide the level we are prepared to take. I agree that I go a bit harder with the chin gaurd on but I don't believe I am immune from head/facial injury. A seemingly innocuous impact can have terrible results due to differing angles, forces etc, full face or detachable.

Protective equipment lessens the risk of serious injury, it doesn't get rid of it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Its some muddy waters mate. Gravity enduro does allow you to wear the helmet with the chin piece removed on the liason but not during the stages. In downhill racing, it's a solid fullface only. See, this is what I have an issue with. In my eyes, enduro is a trail built for downhill and you need to ride your bike / push your bike to the top of it and the other adjoining stages. To me, it is purely downhill without shuttles and the start time for each stage is set so you have to ride a bit quicker than you'd walk or you'd just rock up with a downhill bike and belt everyone. Australia has some good enduro events but it is also has some total piles of shit where people break an XC lap up and run five stages of thirty seconds of descents, thats rubbish and isn't enduro. Enduro is downhill without shuttles and should be considered hard and not Mum and child friendly for little Teddy who just got his first Giant Alias with sick green 100m travel forks. By all means chuck the kid out there if he's keen but clubs and promoters shouldn't be putting events on and calling it enduro if it's not a tough trail, thats dumbing it down.
With that in mind, I always have it in my mind that a proper enduro should be a proper fixed fullface. Not to sound like a cockhead but having traveled to events outside of Australia and riding some trails used for a proper enduro has shown me that either some of our trail builders chasing enduro glory with their builds are pussies and lazy or they don't get the idea that enduro should be bloody hard.
Make XC for Mum's and little Teddy, make them earn their turns and upskill to get into enduro and downhill.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Make XC for mums - wow....
Maybe not the best choice of words on my part but it shits me seeing promoters calling an advanced event something kid friendly and the Mum shows up on her two week old Liv and complains the course is too hard and wants her money back. XC trail riding is more suited to that sort of marketing.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Just saw this on Insta. The timing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BohzAAIHlPq/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=knfvxoe151iu

It’s the helmet I’m using so hopefully the standards live up to the marketing hype! ;)

Built for the hard charger, the Super DH helmet is the most versatile on the mountain. Featuring new MIPS Spherical technology, a removable chin bar, and full DH certification. The Super DH is ready to bang out bike park laps until the chairlifts stop running, or settle into hours of back-country uphill grinding in search of that perfect ribbon of high-consequence singletrack. This is a true all mountain helmet, allowing you to ride without limitations

Without limitations!o_O

Last edited: