WARNING - Pacific Park track dissapointing!

dh'r king

Likes Dirt
The track was tops and compared to all the other tracks on the state series it was just as good. Variety is the spice of life, and the more terain you get to master the better rider you can become.
Hats off to all involved in building the track and running the race , it was an awesome event and congratulations to all the winners.
Did you have your eyes closed at coffs? were u even there?
Battle on.

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I wasn't there, but I have heard some good things from people who were there.

But really this post is just an excuse to give credit to HMBA riders for their wins.

Alice Minahan - Elite Women
Rick - Expert Men
Greg Battle - Oldish guys

Did you have your eyes closed at coffs? were u even there?
Battle on.
He was in Coffs, not that that matters.

Last edited:

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
When I find out who got where it is on Lenny but I am pretty certain Brad got Elite Reece Kuhn got Snr Hardatil and Clarke Hawke got U/19 go CCOMTB

I wasn't there, but I have heard some good things from people who were there.

But really this post is just an excuse to give credit to HMBA riders for their wins.

Alice Minahan - Elite Women
Rick - Expert Men
Greg Battle - Oldish guys

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
When I find out who got where it is on Lenny but I am pretty certain Brad got Elite Reece Kuhn got Snr Hardatil and Clarke Hawke got U/19 go CCOMTB
Yeah, well I see your riders, and raise you the best painted shuttle trailer in the state.

Go the yellow HMBA Trailer.

Beat that.

And now, back to the track bitching/defending.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry to rain on the parade of all those saying that lots of pedalling is good on a DH course, maybe you you check the UCI rules for a Downhill Course.
Yes, UCI! Aren't they the bastion of everything that's good about MTB!!

There
should be little emphasis on pedalling, but rather the technical skills of the riders should be tested

Yes, but "little emphasis" I believe is the operative term in that sentence. Now, I haven't riden the track myself, so I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm tipping that there is no actual "emphasis" on pedalling here. Also, anyone who doesn't try and pedal as much as possible on any and every course should maybe think about changing their style of riding. We have pedals on our bikes for a reason, they're called biCYCLES, not PUSHbikes for a reason as well.

I also like the variety tracks like this can offer. Either way, right now I'll take any DH track, I'm having serious withdrawls over here....:(

S.

ex offender
Yes, UCI! Aren't they the bastion of everything that's good about MTB!!

There
should be little emphasis on pedalling, but rather the technical skills of the riders should be tested.

Yes, but "little emphasis" I believe is the operative term in that sentence. Now, I haven't riden the track myself, so I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm tipping that there is no actual "emphasis" on pedalling here. Also, anyone who doesn't try and pedal as much as possible on any and every course should maybe think about changing their style of riding. We have pedals on our bikes for a reason, they're called biCYCLES, not PUSHbikes for a reason as well.

I also like the variety tracks like this can offer. Either way, right now I'll take any DH track, I'm having serious withdrawls over here....:(

You do realise that you're disagreeably saying the same thing he is... he said too much pedalling is a bad thing as well, and the UCI agrees with both of you.

However, yes while the bikes have pedals, we already have plenty of riding disciplines where your ability to pedal hard IS the emphasis: road, xc, even 4x and BMX require you to be cranking your arse off in order to have the slightest chance. DH should be aimed primarily at testing bike handling skills, if people want to test their pedalling ability and fitness (first and foremost that is) there are plenty of other disciplines already established for that. Funnily enough I never hear anyone saying "hey you know I reckon that observed trials course needs a 200m uphill sprint before they have to sidehop up onto that old car" - it's obviously designed to test your bike handling skills first and foremost, why try and make pedalling an especially big component of it?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
DH should be aimed primarily at testing bike handling skills,.
And that's what this track did. If you had the skill to hold the speed and the line there was minimum pedalling needed. If you didn't have the skill you had to pedal to make up for it.

I watched the elites through one of the "up hill" sections. They were up and around the corners so fast they didn't have a chance to get a pedal stroke in.

So far out of the people who it rode on the weekend and posted a comment we have

4 people who didn't like it
2 that thought it was OK but could have been better
12 who thought it was good

I don't think we need to race out and rewrite the rule and trail building books just yet based on that

Last edited:

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
As a track Pacific Park may not stack up against the likes of Awaba (old), Lithgow (mine) and Coffs but as a "venue" it leaves both these for dead. Shuttle drop off was at the start gate (literally). Spectator access to track was quite easy and there were sections where you could see a fair bit of the track. Proper toilet and shower facilities along with shop etc. Plenty of parking in either grassy open area or shaded area near the finish line.

Overall Pacific Park may not be the "IDEAL TRACK" but it offered a fair test of a riders ability.

Wouldn't be fucking wonderful if we could get our hands on a site that has the facilities of Pacific Park along with a hill the likes of Coffs but to date we haven't found it so until that day we have to make the best with what we have.

BKelly

teh fast
I think the most important things at a race are the organization,shuttles,timing and some good prizes are a bonus. There is nothing i hate more than having a really good track and only getting a couple of runs on it cause you spend the majority of the day waiting in the shuttle line up. The shuttles at PP were awesome and you got alot of riding in. The track was very challanging and hard to race and was good to have a track that was different. I thought the race was a success and we were out of there by 3.30pm which was good too.

sich nich

Likes Dirt
holy snapping duckshit batman! this thread is way long. too many things that people said to remember to comment about.

here goes my dollar worth:

Track was good by the end. I rode it from the friday morning in the rain, right up to the elite finals, and every run the track got better. dust id good. when describing a track as better, its a personal opininion. the opinions are derived from the individuals experiences of enjoying other tracks they have ridden. all depends on what you ride all the time. those of you that rode PP and have ridden my trails, you will know they are worlds apart. my race results reflect this abit.

first few runs on friday i discovered alot of the trash talk about the track from the weeks leading to the event were true, but i got over it. the track was hard. you needed to be on your game to get down it fast. i dont think riding a mtx bike would be faster, unless you always ride one. there were some pretty hard hits and nasty rocks getting exposed. never have i seen so much wheel destruction at a race before.

the uphill wasnt so bad, cos it only went for 10 or so metres at a time. if you cant get up it, learn to dial the previous section so you can smash the uphill easy. was a challenge trying to pedal upto the switchback, then having to turn on a dime, but its not like it was unfair, it was the same track for everyone. peoples problems with the track empasise the problems with their ridng ability/diversity. learn it, love it and enjoy yourself. otherwise you just get angry and no one likes a sook.

the venue as far as im concerned was a 9 out of ten. the only way they missed the ten was the size of the mountains they had to use, and the distance between the parpark/pickup point and the pit area. but really, you dont need swiss alps for a good track, nor does it matter if you have to pedal 5mins to get to the bus. ive been to races with worse pit layouts. there was unlimited parking, proper showers/toilets, a full blown kiosk, taps with hoses everywhere, etc. .awesome.

the buses were very efficient, due to the shuttle road, but also to the trash talking of PP prior to the event resulting in the less than standard state round turnout. props to the bus drivers for helping with loading the trailers and actually knowing what was going on.

anyway, i had fun, even though i snapped myself in practise. props to boyer and the boys for making the most out of the hill, props to bikeshed mortdale for their affordable mech support (even if their raffle was rigged:rolleyes:), and the wsmtb dudes for making everything run smoothly. the 88.0FM was a really good idea, we should definatley see that at future races, along with the hot redbull girls, for the free redbull of course!

congrats to seato for his movie, very good job, good techniques and editing, I rate this movie highly. well done man!
congrats also to brad kelly, must be like his 12th state race in a row undefeated! you are a freak mate.

yeeoow!

Last edited:
Wouldn't be fucking wonderful if we could get our hands on a site that has the facilities of Pacific Park along with a hill the likes of Coffs but to date we haven't found it so until that day we have to make the best with what we have.[/QUOTE]

patience.........

barnesy

Likes Dirt
dejavu

My DH bike was there but I stayed at home with my crutches (couldn't drive & didn't have a lift!). Good job guys, the young guys I spoke to (who I consider awesome young riders) loved it. It was just another different track to test their skills on. The more DH & MTNX tracks we can get, the more skills our riders will get and that can only be a positive !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Barnsey, I suggest you read my previous post before you mount off anymore.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After all the bagging of champs to begin with it turns out that it's been quite the success

Last edited:

Stabin away

Likes Bikes
i just wanted to say that the track at PP was hard, testing and a thinking riders track , i dont think it was a bad track by any means , different ( as many others have said ) is good , it was the same for all riders-- so pedal or dont pedal -- its your choice or ability that defined that .

big thanks to WSMTB , builders , track designers and all the organisation , and yeh the FM radio transmissions - A GREAT IDEA

Thats my 20cents !

:):):)

Jebus

Pro Rider
State series tracks

The track was lame.....
Downhill means downhill, no uphills.
they do not belong in a downhill track.
i have been racing for over 5 years now, and this state season has been the worst i have experienced by means of tracks, the organisation and how they have been run is outstanding and i appreciate all the effort the clubs put into the races.

But we need to get better tracks....
50 second tracks with 6 corners, and uphill tracks are a joke and need to be removed off the calander, sure they are fun to ride but they are not race tracks by any means... this series has been all about the most powerfull rider, who can pedal the hardest...not the most skilled. it may have some "technical" parts but whats the point if anytime made there can just be lost to pedalling up a hill. These tracks do now truely test the riders. if i wanted to race XC i would go to a XC race not a downhill state race. the tracks need to flow and test riders skill, not just power and fitness.

It has gone beyond a joke and needs to be addressed... i know i wont be attending the state series next year if it doesnt change...a waste of time and money...

Tim Eaton

Last edited: