Warramate Trails

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Victorian Government is currently running a survey asking for submissions on public use of land within the Yellingbo Conservation Area, of which, Warramate is a part.

Our access to the magnificent trail network within Warramate is at risk of being lost forever, due to narrow minded individuals.

We know that Mountain Biking is a suitable and legitimate use of public land and has low impact on the environment, offset with huge benefits for the mental and physical wellbeing of all participants.

We also know for a fact that the intimacy with nature provided by single track in a natural setting has major mental health advantages. Removal of access to these trails will be at the detriment to society.

Please take the time to read and submit a response in this survey. Submissions close on December 17. Please share. We need as many responses as possible.

https://engage.vic.gov.au/yellingboconservationarea

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Done. Out of interest are the current trails legit? I haven't been there and can't find any maps, but seems to be hot in strava heat labs.

Beej1

Done. Out of interest are the current trails legit? I haven't been there and can't find any maps, but seems to be hot in strava heat labs.
The "Friends of the Warramate" Facebook group, a while ago, seemed to be indicating it was all off limits now? Is this true Steve?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The trails are currently off limits, officially. Things were going swimmingly. We had Parks Vic's permission to take our own vehicles in to do track maintenance, which we did a number of times. I would go to the PV office at Woori Yallock and sign out the key. PPE was used and only qualified chainsaw operators were allowed to cut fallen debris. Everything was above board. The local residents saw this happening and cried to everyone who would listen. PV jumped ship and closed the trails.

The "Friends of the Warramate" FB group is the local residents, some of whom regularly take their own vehicles in for whatever reason, probably to collect firewood. One has a son that used to build downhill trails there. Others have on occasion helped us to get around the park for maintenance using their own quad bikes. One has even burned his green waste within the grounds of the reserve. They are a hypocritical bunch of (insert favourite derogatory remark here).

This is our last chance to get the trails re-opened. Please share like mad. Get your non riding friends to help us out. Make sure you mention the warramate trails should be re-opened in your comments.

John U

MTB Precision
Done.

Wonder who selected the questions and was responsible for the grouping of some of the answers?

John U

MTB Precision
Probably the same biased arsehole who listed "Unauthorised Mount Bike Trails" on the threats map.
There is definitely a certain bias within the question options. Reads like a list of potential downsides of mt biking in the bush with virtually none of the upside getting a look in.

Beej1

So I've been getting emails from DELWP about this for a few weeks. First a survey about the draft 10 yr management plan, more recently about community drop in sessions.

I did the survey, noticing in the plan that mountain bikers are listed as a 'threat' in the Warramate Hills area of the conservation plan.

Has anyone else gotten emails? Steve - are you still trying to keep access to the trails here?

The current phase 2 survey can be seen at the URL in the OP.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So I've been getting emails from DELWP about this for a few weeks. First a survey about the draft 10 yr management plan, more recently about community drop in sessions.

I did the survey, noticing in the plan that mountain bikers are listed as a 'threat' in the Warramate Hills area of the conservation plan.

Has anyone else gotten emails? Steve - are you still trying to keep access to the trails here?

The current phase 2 survey can be seen at the URL in the OP.
I've not had a chance to read yet, but holy hell someone tell DELWP bcc is there for a reason. I'm surprised an email argument between 300 people hasn't commenced.