Warranty dilemma is 27.5 right for me?

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
The dilemma I have is this.
My 26" alloy Anthem has cracked the seat tube top tube junction just as my old NRS did 5 years ago. Giant has been great and it is covered under warranty however they have offered me a complete Anthem 27.5 1 for $2000 which is $1300 off the list price. I'm happy about this but I have a nagging feeling that this might not be the best bike for the riding I do.
I only ride XC at OMV, Ourimbah, Awaba and local fire trials in the northern beaches. I also like to race marathon events so would a 29er be a better choice for me?
The advantage of the A27.5 is Giant have reinforced the junction that has failed twice for me and many others on A26 and A29.
Should I ask giant for a 29er as the general feeling is that they are better for the type of riding I do or is a 27.5 going to be just as good?
Unfortunatly my LBS don't have a A27.5 in stock for me to try but I might ask elsewhere for a demo.

What are the thought of those you have ridden either of these sizes bikes.
For additional information if it helps I'm 6ft and 90kgs so fitting a bigger bike is no problem.

Look forward to your thoughts.

tatewinchester

Likes Dirt
I went 29er being 5 9" but its all personal preference. My mate and I switch between his 27.5 and 29er every now and then but i just feel 29er is better for me. its all personal preference but i would say being the fact you are doing marathons i would go a 29er for the rolling resistance and the fact you can just climb better in marathons when feeling sluggish as you arent worrying about spliggage on the rear wheel.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback, most of my riding is around OMV and Ourimbah and I do 2 or 3 marathons a year so I really want to get the best bike for the 90% of the riding I actually do.
Had a chat to the guys at the Sydney Giant store and he has one and loves it for the type of riding I do and Unfortunatly he confirmed there aren't any demo bikes in Australia at the moment......
Looks like I have to make a bike choice based on heresay and rumor which is why I'm on a forum asking for advice!!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Don't get the 29er. I've ridden some of that area on an Anthem 29er and whilst I'm no technical rider there is no way that that particular terrain (even the XC terrain) gets the best out of a 29er. If I moved back there [shudder] then the Anthem would depart from the quill for a slightly longer travel 650B/27.5/call it what you will. if they are offering you the 650B then bite that...and don't discount the Trance version either.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you are paying $2000 for an anthem ($1300 off the list price) then the shop is making money as that would be over their wholesale price. If that is your warranty deal you should be getting a better price than that. They would rather sell you a bike, make money, then warranty your bike .....

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
mm

If you are paying $2000 for an anthem ($1300 off the list price) then the shop is making money as that would be over their wholesale price. If that is your warranty deal you should be getting a better price than that. They would rather sell you a bike, make money, then warranty your bike .....
yes i read this too.
Giant have the best warranty in the bus. which is why so many people purchase them . many riders here have had their 26 inch bikes fail and they have been replaced with 29ers (new fork wheels frames etc ) only parts not replaced were drive chain. there are even stories of the whole bikes being replaced. I would check again with your dealer.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Good points mmatrix and creaky I think I was carried away by the thought of a complete new bike which was different to the old one.
I have a think about what type of bike I want next and I don't really know and I'd like to ride a few options before making my choice. So I think I'll get just the frame replaced for free and continue to have fun on a bike I know well and save up some more pennies and demo lots of different bikes and work out for myself what suits me.
This choice also keeps the minister for finance happy and could mean a better bike later.

Thanks for all the advice and see you out on the trails soon.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Giant has been great and it is covered under warranty however they have offered me a complete Anthem 27.5 1 for $2000 which is $1300 off the list price.
Just a question. Why are you having to pay for a Warranty?
He's not. They have given options, meeting their obligation or an upgrade at cost.

Seems like good business all 'round.

Last edited: