Washing/Polishing your MTB

How do you wash your mtb?

• Washing Up Liquid

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Car Wash

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Degreaser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Muc-Off / Finish Line (& other 'bike brand' products)

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

~Alan~

Likes Dirt
Anyone here like washing their pride and joy?
Been reading a lot of old internet forums, magazine articles and watching a lot of YouTube videos on this subject.
Some say to just use dish washing soap as pros use it. If I was a pro and got parts/frames/bikes handed to me all the time I wouldn't care either what I used.
Others say to use Muc-Off etc. but they sort of seemed like a mild degreaser than a 'soap'? Or is that what is required, a degreaser and not soap?
Some sites also say to not use car wash as that has wax in it and can wreck brakes etc. So don't these 'waxes' effect car brakes?
Do you also use air compressor to blow dry parts you can't get to etc. Any other tips?
Just wanting opinions on what others on here since it is an Aussie Forum.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I wash with dishwashing detergent, and dry with a garden blower. The blower is more gentle on sensitive grease points than a compressor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wrap the brake calipers and rotors in plastic bags or rags when washing with any chemicals. I use a diluted truck wash mix in a spray bottle, lasts years.

I also like the mini-blower for a dry off, then towel.

I don’t wash my bikes very often though unless it’s muddy. Just clean and lube the drivetrain and suspension/post sliders etc.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I'm very non-interventionist and seems to work for me.

I'll never spray the bike down unless it's truly filthy. And if I do i dry with electric leaf blower. Only use muc off on the bad parts and then gently wipe over rest with slightly damp microfibre.

Stanchions get gentle clean every ride, drivetrain gets brush and wipe down and fresh lube every 2-3.

Waxes don't effect car brakes as they reach temps that burns that stuff away.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
That’s a good user name ...

I have a theory that media perpetuated the myth of the benefits of washing your bike ... the proposition is a nice clean bike allows you to check for damage when washing ... allows for nice grit free operation of say the drivetrain ... etc etc. make it feel like new again even if just for one ride.

The other argument for a wash is that racers do it ... racers are fast ... I wanna be fast ...

but racers have mechanics that do full tear downs and relube ... and or fully replace shizzle like bearings, suspension components ... I recommend you watch the Fox Dialled series on YouTube ... amazing how often WCS forks are stripped down and serviced per event.

What media didn’t tell you is any amount of water tends to flush out essential lube out of say droppers, suspension, chains, bearings ... in addition slightly more pressure, say via thumb in hose ... is enough to force muck and mud into those little hidden nooks and crannies that you just flushed lube out of ... but worse ... not drying the moisture off ... or having moisture trapped in the frame tubes or components, is enough to create its own little water cycle. Mix that water vapour in with say, steel or alloy and or carbon and you’ve now created the perfect environment for galvanic currents to throw those lil electrons across and start your journey to corrosion and at worse mallet or chemical anti seize town. This is all before you mix in detergents, and silicon products.

Just say no to silicon based lubes and cleaners.

There are obvious shades of grey ... but for me I always think to myself ... “do I really need to clean my bike” ? The answer is usually no.

Note: I very rarely ride in wet conditions. if I do I know I have to dry, relube ... and then service eventually.

stirk

Burner
I do it but can't say I like it!

Don't need detergent often unless you ride through dog shit or on the road in the rain.
Drive train should get a special clean every so often, maybe once a month. Special chain cleaning tools make this easy but asking how to maintain a chain opens a Pandora's box some old burners will drool over, go easy tiger!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually don’t mind the process, plus the bike lives inside in the lounge on carpet so needs to be clean to be allowed inside.

Gets a wash after every ride unless I’m riding the day after.

Spray down with hose, wash down with a sponge and bucket of hot soapy water filled with Rock n Roll Miracle Red. Rinse, hand dry, lube chain.

It’s probably over the top, but it gets a pretty regular rebuild and full re-grease anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rex

Template denier
CT18, lo pressure from the garden hose, and a 4” paint brush. No pressure washer.

To Nerf’s point, washing the bike is cosmetic, what you really need to keep clean is the drive line.

Flip side, I hate working on dirty equipment so I’d rather wear out parts prematurely than work on a filthy bike.

safreek

I wash with dishwashing detergent, and dry with a garden blower. The blower is more gentle on sensitive grease points than a compressor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I have washed bikes twice, then let dry in the sun. Your blower idea is better, shall do so if I ever wash a bike again

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I wash mine once a month, with car wash, the day before our race. They all know it's worth a fair chunk of cash so it makes me feel better that it looks like I'm looking after it.

The three weeks and 5 days either side it's filthy as.

moorey

call me Mia
Dishwashing liquid for me.
Krush for Felix.

Driveline with RnR gold regularly. Only tend to wash if if really needs it.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a bit OCD so basically wash them once a week after riding once or twice during the week.
CT18 mix in a spray bottle, spray on and let it soak for 5 min.
Rinse off with garden watering head, then sponge wash with bucket of car wash.
Let dry then re-lube. (love the blower idea, will be giving that a go)

I also use this method on my road bike with way less water resistance for bearings etc, no problems in 12,000km over 3 years.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hose it down, bucket of suds + banister brush, different brush for the greasy bits, hose it down, air dry unless I'm in the mood to towel it down, silicon spray or Mr sheen almost everything, Lube chain with innox, wipe off excess, ride off with a smile on my face.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Water only, always. Wipe with a cloth as I'm sprinkling water over it.

Stains and marks that dont come off, an alcohol wipe. Also alco wipe for cleaning chains, brake calipers, chainrings, cassettes ect...