Water bottle , Bottle cage , under seat bag pouch and other dump questions .

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As title title states , Dumb question time
Ok so bottle cages ? . Are some better than others , what work but don`t look too ghetto , left or right pull or straight pull . What are the max sizes for water bottles . Dose cage size govern bottle size or shape
And the doofus question . Are there any small pouch like mini bags that strap under the seat . I don`t mean like the XC hanging mini bag of the seat or your ball bag . But a pouch like thing that could take Co2 carts or a phone and be neatly tucked away .

moorey

call me Mia
Bottle cages are sooooo #notenduro. Didn't you get the memo? :hand:
Not what you asked, but on the TransNZ, a few continental riders had bum bag type thing for 2 bottles, tools, etc. I thought they looked silly, but keeping the weight low, looked comfy, they didn't bounce, and the riders swore they were better than backpack/hydropacks.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cages: some are better than others, and geometry and preference might sway as to whether you want left, right or straight. Personally like the lezyne flow cage, have 2 straight, one left and one right ( 3 bikes)
Some frames can only run small bottles, some can run larger. I

teK--

Eats Squid
+1 for Lezyne flow. Durable, good grip, and comes in side loading which iIMHO is essential for dualie mtbs.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Totally depends on the frame space dude. Normal loading metal are probably the best for security and fitting the most number of bottles, but smaller frames with upper mid mounted shocks have to have side loaders generally.

Specialized make decent side loaders, I chose arundel as the best for security.

Seat packs are seat packs - no uber cool offerings, just ones that work - Mtb only, but will destroy your phone in no time - I gave up on them because tubes and phones get wrecked in off road riding and are better off in a pocket for the phone, and tubes taped to bike - XC style

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm keen for a tidy non lame storage solution too.

Specialized Swat box looks good but I think the only room on a Nomad is going to be an under seat solution

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Depending on how hard you ride I've never seen a cage hold a water bottle for very long. Get a camelbak and that will solve your pouch issues too.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Not a great picture, but you can see on my blue bike the water cage. Its tight against the shock and held up alright. I ended up breaking that and went to an alloy one I had in the garage. Heaps more sturdy.

I keep my tools and a a basic first aid kit in there (keep the weight down low and off me) and carry water in my camelback with a tube, snacks etc.

Works for me.

Edit; i forgot to say why I moved to this method. I had a seat back and kept my tools and a tube in there. The tools wore holes in my tubes and eventually in the pack itself. The dust and mud rooted the zips and eventually one tore open and I lost my beloved chain breaker too. That was the last straw for it. In the bin with it.

12509597_10205857705823628_5825366292679403390_n.jpg

Last edited:

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
There are several problems with seat packs

First is that they are in line of fire for all the crap that comes off the back wheel so I definitely wouldn't put a phone in there or anything else that is not very very water and mud resistant. On my road bikes I keep a tube, 1xgas canister, levers and the smallest mini tool in one so I don't forget them and always have them with me. (I typically don't carry a hydration pack on the road bikes)

Second is that I find adding weight to my saddle affects the way the bike feels when moving it from side to side. I think it's because the weight is so far from the pivot point (where your wheels touch the floor)

Lastly for most off-road stuff I'd suggest keeping everything you can in a hydration pack. Water, mud, dust and sun all destroy plastics and rubber. I've learnt this from experience. Trashed loads of pumps, tubes and tools before I learnt.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is my preference to ride without a hydration pack if possible so I do have a plastic bottle cage I got of Wiggle on my bike, I use a slightly smaller sized water bottle and it's never dropped out when full, even riding the DH track at Thredbo! The only other thing I take with me is my phone! I only ride like this when I'm close proximity to the car (like a looped track).

Honestly I wouldn't bother with an under seat pouch, I think it would compromise my dropper post and I wouldn't be able to stand it rattling around. As I said I don't really like riding with a hydration pack but at least their is no trouble fitting gear in there and you can do it up tight so it doesn't move around too much!

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I like to use metal bottle cages as you can bend them to fit any bottle shape.

I float between using a pack with a water bladder to having everything strapped to the bike. It just depends on where and how long I ride and what the weather is going to be like.