Water packs out of vogue, bottles back in? Seat bags - return to the 90's?

golden path

Banned
After a semi hiatus of a couple of years, I've noticed that many folks seem to worry about fitting drink bottles onto their bikes, and one of the criticisms of duallies is whether or not a full sized bottle can fit in the frame.

Further to that, it seems seat bags are returning to vogue.

Circa 1997 I might have had a seat bag, bottle and mini pump stuck to the bike.

I gave bottles and seat bags away last century in favour of a pack, with everything in it that I need and have no shit hanging off the bike.

What's the deal, banana peel?

Is everything old new again?

Should I dig my old seat bag out, fit an old stray Cateye or even anodised alloy cage and clip my mini pump back onto the downtube?

Where are my bar ends?

John U

MTB Precision
I use hydration pack and a drink bottle. I need constant intake when I'm going big rides. Gatorade or something similar in the bottle, I can adjust the mix, balanced out with water from the pack. Pack holds a bit of grub and emergency gear, phone, etc. Saddle bags are no good in the rough stuff. Bounce around and stuff inside gets knocked around/destroyed. Ok on the commuter though.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nah, back pack with bladder for me. Not a fan of bottles and they don't hold enough. I can also hold more in the pack if need be rather than trying to stash it on the bike.

Willjh

Squid
I think it's part of the new Endurobro craze. Alot of Enduro guys are riding without packs and it seems to be the new thing.

Ive just come back from a 6 year hiatus and like you was amazed at what I was seeing. However it does not appear to have reached out fair does quite yet.

But this is what i have learned in a week of riding with no pack.

Backcountry Reserach makes a handy thing called a race strap thats holds a tube, C02 and tyres levers under tge seat. Works with a dropper doesnt buzz the tower when you bottom out and is near silent.

Water bottle on game with 700ml is this for about 1.5-2 hpurs depending on heat and chucking thw multi tool in my pants pocket along eith phone and keys means no need for a pack.

And I gotta say it feels good. Also have a Highabove Cascadia hip/fanny/bum bag with water bottle to hold stuff for longer days. Like a rain jacket, food, chain links, patches, spare hanger, plus I move my pocket stuff to it as well. Not as good as no pack but still better than a big pack and it allows me to push my adventures out to 4 or so hours.

So is everything old new again? Maybe? Will you u win style points? Probably not. But on the trails who cares. As long as your grinnin your winnin.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Bottle cage and bottle will get added for longer rides, but most of the time i just run a Camelbak. Plenty of room for food, keys, phone and a spare tube. Speaking of which, I'm going to snap up a Lobo 3ltr for the Wombat tomorrow.

golden path

Banned
Endurobro. :clap2:

Back in the days of bottles, my Mrs did me a favour one time and filled my bottle for me.

So I'm out riding with one of the homiez (hardtailtrailbro....) and I got one of those acidic little bugs in the eye.

So I whipped out my bottle to rinse that little bastard out with what I thought would be clean water - super sweet red cordial right in the eyeball! God bless her.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I love the feeling of riding without a pack, but for me it's just the best way of taking with me everything I need without dicking around strapping shit to my bike then having to dick around some more removing it if I have to. I don't like carrying stuff in my pockets when I'm riding, because if I land on a multitool or something, that's just going to add to the pain and possible damage.

The exception being, I've taken to keeping a tube taped to my 29er, so I can keep a 27.5 tube in my pack. That way I always have the spare that I need for the bike I'm riding without having to worry about swapping them around (or forgetting to, as was the case last week).

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dont mind packs or bottles and keep my tools/tubes ect in a tool bottle on the bike. On the MTB I fill my pockets or use a pack.

Saddle bags... what a nice way to ruin the look of your awesome bike, they are the most hideous thing ever.

Wear a cycling jersey with the pockets in the back, maybe not enduro enough for some of you here, but strapping what looks like a nut-sack to your bike is top of the shit list... might as well stick some cow horn bar-ends on there too.

Attachments

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it so much better riding without a pack, if I'm riding within a close proximity of the car I'll just take a water bottle and my phone with me, if I have a mechanical it'll just be a case of pushing back! Since I've gone tubeless getting flats are no longer really a problem!

Longer and more remote rides certainly I'll take a pack with me.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Packs are a PITA (and back). Small unobtrusive saddle bag with tube, tools and some choice spares (derailleur hanger, shift cable, chain link, zip ties). Pump strapped to the frame. One or two bottles on the bike (bottom bottle sucks as it gets crap all over it, but I just transfer to the other in-frame bottle that's for drinking). Rain jacket, food and phone in jersey pockets.

I carry a pack for multi-day rides. Anything less, a pack's not needed.

MTB Rod

Likes Bikes
I find it so much better riding without a pack, if I'm riding within a close proximity of the car I'll just take a water bottle and my phone with me, if I have a mechanical it'll just be a case of pushing back! Since I've gone tubeless getting flats are no longer really a problem!

Longer and more remote rides certainly I'll take a pack with me.
Agree with this-I think tubeless tyres and virtually no flats means less need for a pack

Beej1

I use a hydration pack on every ride, despite using the tools, tubes, first aid etc inside it probably less than 10% of rides, and probably using only just over a bottle worth of its liquid.

I honestly couldn't care less if it's in trend or what it looks like. It's just there, packed for all occasions, so I fill it up and take it.

It bothers me zero.

Don't some offer some form of back protection as well now?

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
I still use my pack for most of my regular rides 'cause everything is already packed.

I have a Camelbak Rougue and it's not that great for mountain biking. The chest strap is too high to stop the pack from moving so I don't bother using the strap.

I don't race with it for club races but I'll use it in the Epic at the end of the month. If I ride Andy's out at Big Hill I don't use it because of all the jumps.

I find the 2 L bladder and a full bottle of electrolyte is good for 3 to 4 hours.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used a camleback since the mid 90's but unless I need that water, which for most of my rides I don't then water bottle and saddle bag works for me.

Willjh

Squid
First picture is my Endurobro stle/hip/fanny/bum bag. Its rad.

Second is my Race Strap.

Bum bag for anything more than 2 hours along with race strap.

Under 2 hours is just the race strap and a bottle.

Attachments

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
gotto admit I like the idea of the race strap with people strapping them to the frame, obviously wouldn't work on my older metal round tube frames, but on these new carbon frames with odd shaped down tubes, a good spot, just behind my single bottle cage.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Currently run a Camelback skyline on all rides. Sits low so great for jumping. I like having ample water in summer.
For a long time my AM bike was a dirtjumper and I took nothing for rides up to 1.5hrs. This winter I may go back to a bottle on frame with spares strapped to the frame but my main objective for winter are some really long rides so will be camelback plus bottle.
My roadie I run a single bottle as it only ever gets used for commuting.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Buy some of the chinese frame protection tape, its basically book backing contact. Apply where you are going to attach your tube or whatever else, then tape the tube on using electrical tape. As it gets dusty and moves a bit, it can scratch your frame, the chi heli tap stops this scratching.

I attach gels and bars to my top tube for long races this way, keeps your frame looking good.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I think it's part of the new Endurobro craze. Alot of Enduro guys are riding without packs and it seems to be the new thing.

Backcountry Reserach makes a handy thing called a race strap thats holds a tube, C02 and tyres levers under tge seat. Works with a dropper doesnt buzz the tower when you bottom out and is near silent.
Is it just me, or are "race straps" kinda silly? There are saddle bags out there that attach only to the saddle rails and not seatpost, and unlike a strap, on a muddy ride you're not going to be unstrapping a muddy tube, lever or tool - or even worse, trying to get crap off the threads of your CO2 cartridge. I know people have been taping tubes to their frames / seatpost since forever, but it really seems sub-optimal.

Now, this is the fully endurobro method of riding without a pack - slide your hydration bladder, tube, tools, food, etc into these: https://www.raceface.com/products/details/stash-mens-bib (or Speccy Swat Bib, similar thing.)

SS17_Stash_Mens_Bib_Short_Storage.png

With your fully enduro jersey + shorts over the top, of course.