Water packs out of vogue, bottles back in? Seat bags - return to the 90's?

4dabush

Likes Dirt
In the tropics this time of year a camelbak just adds sooo much heat. On big rides, it's a pack, anything less than about 2 hrs I can get away with phone, ID, glasses, multi tool and water bottle on bike/in jersey.
Prefer riding in Enduro/dh jerseys, and prefer having a pack with spares and first aid, but 30+ degrees and 90% humidity, I go without pack and ride in a roady jersey.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just need Poodles to give a recommendation of what to carry in the backpack and this thread will be all done and dusted. :evil:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Where do you guys put your machete?

Served me well in the 90s, serves me just fine now:

View attachment 335901
Eshaaaay bruzzzzzz!

Just need Poodles to give a recommendation of what to carry in the backpack and this thread will be all done and dusted. :evil:
It really has become that kind of thread. I'm very surprised to learn I'm the only one who takes a snake handler's bag on summer rides. Safety first people! They are small, compact, and very effective when dealing with all manner of snakes. In recent times some really fashionable ones have been introduced to the market.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Haven't worn a pack in over 18 months, hate the bloody things.

Recently did nearly the whole canberra centenary trail in a day wearing just one of those Specialized SWAT bibs stuffed full of food etc. Obviously had to stop and fill up bottles along the way.

I would only ever wear the pack again if I was going to a similar length ride (100km+) somewhere remote.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Where do you guys put your machete?

Eshaaaay bruzzzzzz!

It really has become that kind of thread. I'm very surprised to learn I'm the only one who takes a snake handler's bag on summer rides. Safety first people! They are small, compact, and very effective when dealing with all manner of snakes. In recent times some really fashionable ones have been introduced to the market.
Lol! Just let'em go in someone's front yard you hate. No need to dump them near trails where they be lost and get run over.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lol! Just let'em go in someone's front yard you hate. No need to dump them near trails where they be lost and get run over.
I insist on moving them from my jumps and trails to the xc stuff. From the looks of things a lot of those riders could use a little inspiration!

How do you think the trail became known as snakes and ladders?

golden path

Banned
Also good for hooding any litterers, trail sanitizers, bike trap builders, dirt bike riding trail wreckers, e-bikers or any other cheeky fuckers you might encounter out there on the trails.

:peace:

asterix

Likes Bikes
I haven't used a pack regularly for years. I'll get it out if I'm going to do a big ride on the dually with nowhere to fill bottles. For me packs are like condoms; they serve a purpose but I hate wearing them.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends on a few things I s'pose. I carry a pack most of the time, 'cos I'm usually covering some pretty big miles. It's really only on lap courses where I can have a bank of bottles in the pit area so I can swap on the fly that I'll use them. It does undoubtedly feel better on the back not having a pack, especially doing several hours, but often it's just not practical to go without it.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I've worn a pack for years and wanted to see what the fuss was about with no pack. Boy does it feel better without a pack on, sweating the hell out of your back for hours on end. If you really want to live, do what I did; I don't have a water bottle cage and CBF'd strapping my pump, etc to my bike, so I went out for a 1.5hr ride with nothing. No water, no tools, not tubes, nothing.

Felt awesome being free of all the gear, plus flirting with danger by carrying no essentials to get me out of trouble. I wouldn't do it again though, but what it has done is made me want to rid myself of my pack and start looking at bottle cages and tool carrying devices.

Z

Zaf

I have two hip packs and a Race Face "ripstrip".
The Camelbak one doesn't like being fully loaded, bounces around even when cinched up tight if you run the bladder with any water in it, and the hose is hard to access; if it comes loose it dangles and gets caught in the frame etc.
The Source pack solved all those problems, it's much tighter profile and hugs into the small of the back nicely, if you've loaded it, you can actually but these small shoulder straps on and route the drinking cable like you would a backpack, but without all the heat of running a backpack. Alternatively, it's storage compartment works beautifully even without the bladder in it, and sits very close to the body and doesn't move. As far as doing everything I want it to, the Source hits the nail on the head.

Once in cooler weather again, and just a bottle on the bike being enough hydration wise, Ripstip is fantastic. It's really low profile and sits under my jersey when in use, kind of just acts like a SWAT bib would, but with any item of clothing. It'll fit my usual ride stuff, multi-tool (for when I'm on the Canyon, as my Honzo and Stumpy both have SWAT tools), pump, derailleur hanger, 60mL sealant, phone, keys, and a small tyre lever/patch kit into it no worries (my CO2's and tubes are usually strapped to the frame)..it's main advantage being that you're not wearing a bumbag.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I'm a pack guy myself. Not being a driver means I have to carry all water,food and tools with me otherwise it could be a long walk home. Also like the feeling of protection a pack provides. Don't like the weight or heat factor but current back pack is an Osprey with great venting in its design

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Call me crazy, but I like to leave my bag in the shuttle pig. If I'm pushing then I'll stash the bag at the top of my trail/section. On those crazy days when I ride something long...I'll wear the pack. I'm way to retro-future cool to go without it.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't even notice the pack when I have it on. Its what feels natural, like having on a seatbelt. It feels weird when I ride somewhere without it like at the BMX track or short local trail.