Weight training question

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Hi all, I have just bought some light dumbbells (9kg) and been using them every second day so as to have a recovery day. I have been doing squats, dumbbell skier swing, plank with dumbbell row, bench press

My question is this, Can I ride on my rest day after doing squats or is it overtraining and not legging my legs recover? Thanks for any advice.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Unless you're doing 1000 squats with 18kg, I'll go out on a limb and say you'll be fine to ride.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Cheers I thought as much but some numptie told me I'd be overtraining and killing my legs
:noidea::crazy:

Minlak

custom titis
FYI:- There is no such thing as over training .

* let the disagreements begin but I am right. You can hurt yourself from training that's not over training.

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
FYI:- There is no such thing as over training .

* let the disagreements begin but I am right. You can hurt yourself from training that's not over training.
It's quite possible to injure yourself from excessive unaccustomed training volume (eg. stress fractures, tendinopathies, chronic ligament or cartilage damage). Other than injury, chronic excessive training volume will prevent performance improvement as you're too stuffed to accomplish progressive overload (which is the whole mechanism of training).

Alternating riding days with a few 18kg squats is not excessive however.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would think no issue with those weights if on separate days with near 24hrs between them.

I've caught myself out with heavyish weights the night before an early ride the next day <8hrs apart a few times, legs were dead after 15mins and no energy overall (but it could be a lot of things right). So if you do have to do back to back days you can either aim for 24hrs between them, or if you know one will be more taxing, you can try to arrange them for max rest time before the activity. e.g. if big riding in late arvo, weights the morning of day before etc. for ~36hrs rest time.

sixdegrees!

Likes Bikes
You should be fine as a general answer, as that is not a lot of weight to be working with...but it also depends on so many factors such as - what are you training for? - how much weight training have you done in the past? - what type of riding are you doing each day? - how much riding are you doing?
I'd also consider checking out Joe Friel's "The Mountain Biker's Training Bible". It has some great guides for weight training which I've found very helpful.61tmCsJjlbL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Roy Turner

Likes Bikes
A little late to the party, but this is definitely something I can chime in on!
Firstly, nice work on the training! Some weight and bodyweight training will do wonders for yourself and your riding, I've been doing powerlifting and olympic lifting for a while and its really helped me come a long way.

Over training is a bit of an over used and not-so understood term thrown around in fitness, but still worth considering on a personal level. Mostly, its trial and error, but what to take into account is fairly simple.
•How much physical activity you fit into your week (at home, work, training and riding),
•Level of experience with training and riding,
•Your schedule of where you slot your training in relative to your riding,
•Recovery time (mobility, stretching, nutrition and most importantly sleep)

Taking all that into account, if you ease into the training and give your body time to get used to the training and recover fine, keep ramping it up until you feel as though you're at a level you're comfortable with. The body is capable of a lot and will adapt very quickly, you'll reap the benefits in no time.

Happy trails!

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Thanks Roy
That's what I ended up doing, easing into it and listening to my body, few aches the next day but it is getting better :encouragement:
Dave

safreek

Hi all, I have just bought some light dumbbells (9kg) and been using them every second day so as to have a recovery day. I have been doing squats, dumbbell skier swing, plank with dumbbell row, bench press

My question is this, Can I ride on my rest day after doing squats or is it overtraining and not legging my legs recover? Thanks for any advice.
dude, I used to powerlift for many years, for about half of it I stuck to a brutal lifting, resting, eating, roids, the whole lifestyle. I then took things easier and started to enjoy my strength-body. The one thing that I missed when I worried about sticking to routines was" my life". Seriously don't let the quest for a good body or strength ruin your quality of life, enjoy the strength you have but don't let it ruin your life. To top it off living the lifestyle didn't make that much difference to gains. Sorry to say it but only a fuckwit lets one aspect of their life rule the rest, unless you are a pro athlete.
If I can find it I have a powerlifting program that packs massive amounts of strength on for only around 2 hours a week if that, add creatine and get a wicked body as well. Just remember that nothing teaches better than experience, you get to know how your body works. Don't listen to personal trainers unless you want to listen to shit as most of them don't have much real life experience. Start the hate :heh:

Weight training is for poofs trying to look good at a gay bath house. Roids will increase the amount of blood in your body, so when you do a roid cycle your dick will increase in size. Which will make you very popular at said bath house.

Important information that i accidentally left out. Roids will make your dick bigger (about 20% increase) but don't go near Deca not sure of the spelling it will give you Deca dick eg you wont get a fat.

stirk

Burner
Important information that i accidentally left out. Roids will make your dick bigger (about 20% increase) but don't go near Deca not sure of the spelling it will give you Deca dick eg you wont get a fat.
Do roids also make you a bigger dick?