Weights training noob question

ktmray77

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

This may be a really dumb question, but anyway I've read a lot about how when weights training you should do "x" amount of reps and "x" amount of sets and
rest "x' amount of time between sets but my noob question is does this mean I should be doing all of my bench presses in a row (with proper rest time in between)
then move on to the next exercise?
I only ask because I'm quite new to the weights training and I've been doing a circuit (e.g.. chin-ups then dips then bench press then bicep curls etc. etc.) then I start
back at the first exercise again. and yes I do more then the above listed exercises I just didn't want to list them all.
So to summarise should I being doing all my chin-up sets in one hit then move on to say the dips or is doing a circuit better?
Any help most appreciated.

Cheers

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The answer is highly depends what you ultimate goal is - strength, mass, fitness, all of the above?

I see circuits and anything resembling cross-fit to be a waste of time, that's just my old school traditional gym is for getting strong approach. If you are at gym you should be there to build mass and strength, it's hard enough to achieve this with excellent programming, form and progression without throwing in some fads. Areobic fitness should be prioritized outside the gym on the bike, running... something sports specific.

Circuit training pro's and cons:
1. Saves time, enables more exercises or sets in a given period of time and/or allows a shorter training session.
2. Typically keeps the HR high, so for general fitness as a goal it is a reasonable approach.
3. Quality of training WILL be lower, fatigue will limit loads lifted.
4. Circuit training is 'liked' by the fitness industry because they can get more people in a gym at a given time ($$$).

Pro's and con's of the traditional do one exercise completely before moving on:
1. Quality of training is much higher - IF strength and mass the the primary goal.
2. Takes a lot longer than a circuit, as you need to factor in 1-3 minutes rest after every set.
3. This is the only way to build mass and strength.
4. Metabolic stress is specific to the muscle being used, metabolic stress is a stimulus for muscle growth - successive sets of the same exercise build greater metabolic stress = greater muscle mass than a circuit style program.

There is probably more pro's and con's of each but basically answer is there are benefits to either approach.

Some more random resistance training guidelines posted here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?251309-Basic-Resistance-Training-Guidelines

pinnin

Likes Dirt
I agree somewhat with the bloke with an irrational wife... however:

Everyone is different and acheiving your goal (if you have one) can be different to other people's routine.

The circuit you mention (I realise it is not exactly what you do) involves training all muscle groups in a single workout.

Training specific muscle groups can be beneficial as you give that particular muscle group more time to rest between workouts (rest is a vital ingredient to any strength training).

I personally aim for the following workouts over the course of 1 week:

- Biceps and back
- Chest and Triceps
- Legs
- Shoulders and abs
- Throw in some cardio whenever (usually on the bike on the weekend)

In response to getting more out of your workout(not stopping between), use supersets. i.e. do 2 different exercises at the same time. for example do 1 set of chinups then 1 set of back raise, then repeat three times.

Also, be careful not to do a huge leg session a couple of days out from a ride, they will hate you for it and you will suffer.

pinnin

Likes Dirt
Also talk to a personal trainer if you have cash / access to one.

They can find out what you want and tailor a workout for you

Zam

Likes Dirt
If you are new to lifting weights i would suggest more of a circuit or full body routine as opposed to do single day splits throughout the week, learn the lefts you are doing to target the muscle group you are targeting but more importantly avoid injury, as MWI said circuit can be a good way to increase some cardio while gaining some strength when first starting out, but as you gain experience more lifting should be done in the gym and cardio outside.

Remember to more weight you lift the the fewer reps you will get through in each set, but also the longer recovery you will generally need before lifting the next set, this will more target strength training, generally for a beginer i would suggest rep range between 8 and 12, if you can do 12 reps increase the weight if you cant do 8 think about reducing the weight till you can.

ktmray77

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

Thanks for your quick reply's, to shed a little more light on my goals. I'm not looking at becoming "Mr Huge" but more like "Mr Balanced" I'm a bigger bloke
weighing in at around 110kg so I want to lose a bit of weight and I have a goal of doing a XC race (already signed up to a 40km race in August) and also a
tough mudder or a tri in the next 12 months. I hope I can transform myself into a all rounder that can do a xc race if I want or do a bit of rock climbing or footy if I so desire
without struggling and needing 6 months to recover.
So I figure do some weights to increase strength, endurance and tone (after all looking good doesn't hurt) :whoo: and I also alternate between a 5 - 10km run and 30+km ride every other day(run twice a week and ride 3 times sometime the other way round) so I reckon I can slot in some weights training in there somewhere.

Any thoughts on what might help me hit my goals is always most appreciated.

Cheers

kooga

Likes Bikes
Probably best to talk to a personal trainer to figure out an ideal program and learn the correct technique first, no point injuring yourself or worse, looking like a complete tool by doing a bicep curl with a weight you cant lift and using your whole body while observing the biceps "Grow" in-between set's in the mirror.
I would be suggesting twice a week is enough for your goals, giving a couple of days rest in between to allow muscle recovery, with training working on the whole body.
Also circuit training may have the best result's for cardio based fitness and endurance, but rarely in a gym can you reserve more than one piece of equipment as other's will also be wanting to use the stuff.

Zam

Likes Dirt
OK with the additional information you've given I would suggest a full body workout say 3 days a week initially and see how you go, you are doing heaps of cardio and i would be suggesting if you are looking at dropping body weight the fastest way would be to get your diet in check while continuing you crdio and including your weight sessions.

valium

Likes Dirt
squats
bench
barbell row
barbell sholders / military press
straight leg dead left
barbell bicep curl
calves

easy to remember, simple, full body workout.

Really, it's all about intensity, gotta rip those fibres apart so they build back better.

velolove

Likes Dirt
squats
bench with dumbells
barbell row
military press with dumbells
dead lifts (once you have the technique down move to straight leg)
dips
squats
FTFY

5x5 for strength OR 3x12 for fitness/weight loss it ain't rocket science.

dej

Likes Bikes
Gday
I've found the following works for me when it comes to weight loss..
I do a 6 set, 6 exercise routine, no rest inbetween each exercise, only a 1 min rest at the end of the 6
chinups
bulgarian split squats
some type of row activity with weights (varies)
jump lunges
bench press (or some chest type activity)
leg press/leg extension/calf raises (varies)

I usually stick to body weight if i'm using a machine or whatever.
I'll usually do the above routine 2 or 3 times a week for several weeks and then i'll do a few weeks of split days where i do isolation type exercises and use heavier weights/lower reps etc
Changing to the routine type workout flipping between upper/lower without rest has worked for me when it comes to weight loss. I'm not interested in being cartoon character bodybuilder guy

All workouts include chinups, usually no less than 30 and usually i just keep doing sets until i cant do anymore. I find those and jump lunges really get the HR up and they work a lot of muscle groups at once:)

antigee

Likes Bikes
not qualified but I find the idea of resting at the gym a bit of a problem so i'll do 1 rep of say chest presses then go and do 1 rep of row pulls - ie an opposite muscle group as the OP said keeps HR up and similar I've never looked to build bulk - if a piece of equipment isn't available or all the bigboys are sitting chatting on the benches for that essential 1/2hr between reps I'll go and do some abs
- might not be quality in terms of building muscle but saves a lot of time and with no scientific proof have seen it suggested that work outs like this are better at raising overall metabolic rate / moving set point
I use a chart to make sure I'm not getting too comfy at a particular weight and switch after 6-8weeks from sets of reps to pyramids

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
squats
bench
barbell row
barbell sholders / military press
straight leg dead left
barbell bicep curl
calves

easy to remember, simple, full body workout.

Really, it's all about intensity, gotta rip those fibres apart so they build back better.
Do this and eat better. Throw in as much riding as you can handle and you will do well in your race and be 10kg lighter by August.

No point fluffing about on little isolation exercises at a beginner level, lose the weight first.

Also no amount of weight lifting will make you huge without ALOT of food, time or steriods.

valium

Likes Dirt
This is bullshit. If you do a proper 5 days a week split and ate properly you would loose weight and gain muscle mass.
It's not BS - he is just saying that as a beginner isolation exercises aren't necessary.

Your point is also correct.

However, there is no benefit to a beginner starting on a 5 day split. x day splits exist to provide you system recovery days before you hit them again. A beginner simply cannot overload their systems to the point they need more than 1 full days recovery.

ktmray77

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

thank you for all your reply's, I've taken on board some of the info and have chased up a PT that also happens to be into MTB as
well so we are currently working on a program that will get me into tip top condition. But once again thank you all for your input
and advice and trying to help me with my goals.
I'll keep you updated on how I go with my training and my race in august.

Cheers

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
This is bullshit. If you do a proper 5 days a week split and ate properly you would loose weight and gain muscle mass.
This is bullshit. Splits are a terribly inefficient way to train. While it may yield some results, full body weight routines coupled with cardio specific training outside of the weight sessions has always been the most effective way to train, especially for beginners, and doubly so for those trying to lose weight. Piddly little pink dumbbell curls, medicine ball quarter sit-ups or whatever other ridiculous exercises your local Fitness First PT does will not burn anywhere near as many calories as some good old fashioned heavy compound work.

SGT. BILcO

Likes Dirt
Make sure you warm up and practice proper form, on every exercise no matter what your doing, before you add any serious weight or intensity or you'll injure yourself.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
For me a typical 'set' will look like this:

Free weight bench press x10
20kg weighted burpee x10

repeat 3x.

I find best results combine some level of cardio (the burpee bit) with strength, you keep the muscles under strain (bulk) while keeping the heartrate up (cardio). This means I can reduce my gym time.

To bulk and gain mass, lift as heavy as you can and do muscle groups one at a time.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It's not BS - he is just saying that as a beginner isolation exercises aren't necessary.

Your point is also correct.

However, there is no benefit to a beginner starting on a 5 day split. x day splits exist to provide you system recovery days before you hit them again. A beginner simply cannot overload their systems to the point they need more than 1 full days recovery.
More than 1 full day? Ever done deadlifts, squats with decent weight. That will trash you. You should still be having a good 2-3 days rest between workouts. Splits are mainly used by professional builders who need to spend extra time on their muscles to over load them, it's also to keep gym time low, the longer you spend in the gym the about 45min is the mark your hormone level decline. It's not so much to increases rest time although i help but it's to increase the load. They need longer workouts for each muscle and to fit a full body workout in would take all day in one day, it would also tax the body too much.
My understanding anyway.

As for newbies you can do isolation no harm in doing so but it's not really necessary, you might as well smash the compounds and rest. Some isolations that may help are those for the rotatory cuff for Injury prevention, and if there are some weaknesses found throwing in some isolation can help. Most the time they are used to break a plateu, fix imbalance or shape the muscle more and for those hardcore builders who need to isolate to overload.

Compound is plenty, if your doing a full body compound you shouldn't have energy for isolation aha.
Worst thing a newbie can do is follow a bodybuilder in a gym.

100% agree 5 day split is pointless. The most would be a 2day split to keep time short.
Or the 5x5 / 5x3 alternate style.