Well done opposition leader for being realistic - Apology thoughts.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Poor dr.nelson,had to say what his party room wanted!
I dont think his speech went over too well,considering 50% of people outside turned there backs on him halfway through his speech!
Rudd on the other hand,was eloquent and had me on the edge of my seat!
Bravo! Rudd!
This was one of those moments in time!
I was surprised that nelson took rudd up on the war cabinet idea,and very surprising that he said sorry when he clearly stated that he wasn't going to!
I think nelson is going to have his head lopped off over this!
Just my opinion!

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Listening to the ABC radio this morning in the car - there has already been some statements by the Indigenous Leaders / Community that they were not going to Make a point of criticizing the Apology contents.

I guess I'll go with them.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Listening to the ABC radio this morning in the car - there has already been some statements by the Indigenous Leaders / Community that they were not going to Make a point of criticizing the Apology contents.

I guess I'll go with them.
So many were crying and were visibly moved by the apology!

murrum

Banned
Rudd did well, but probably a bit long. As far as memorable speeches go though - wasnt quite up there - 8.5/10 for content, 7/10 for structure.

A great moment though.

And who was the only living past pm not to show up...

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Rudd did well, but probably a bit long. As far as memorable speeches go though - wasnt quite up there - 8.5/10 for content, 7/10 for structure.

A great moment though.

Wasn't johnny winston was it?

mshagg

Likes Bikes
I dont think his speech went over too well,considering 50% of people outside turned there backs on him halfway through his speech!
Disgraceful. A lot of people went to great lengths to close the partisan divide today, just goes to show that its all still an excercise in wedge politics for some people.

Think i'll agree to disagree with your views on the respective speeches. The government's apology was strangled by the countless hours of legal review it clearly had undergone. There wasnt a whole lot they could do in that regard in my opinion - the name of the game is clearly to pre emptively stamp out claims for compensation.

Nelson's response on the other hand, did not carry the same level of accountability - as it was merely a response to the government's apology.

In that regard, Nelson highlighted several points which i believe were important. Primarily that some instances of "stealing" were done in the name of safety and concern for the welfare of the child in question, albeit under the enabling impact of the same policy which gave rise to the "stealing" Mr Rudd was apologising on behalf of parliament for implementing.

Im cynical regarding the actual impact of the apology (but then, im cynical of leftist symbolic reconciliation in general) - time will tell, its something i'd gladly eat my words on.

Just my opinion :D

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm slightly interested to see if any court cases come about after this. With this apology comes the admittence of wrong, so if a few aboriginal groups are determined, they could probably have grounds to sue for past wrongs.

Would something like that be possible?

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
I think Rudd's apology was legally gagged, and Nelsons' response was absolutely disgraceful and bordering in parts on slander and outright racism.

But the fact that the apology by the government actually took place means alot to alot of people.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'm slightly interested to see if any court cases come about after this. With this apology comes the admittence of wrong, so if a few aboriginal groups are determined, they could probably have grounds to sue for past wrongs.

Would something like that be possible?
They'd have two options as I see it:

1. Sue as a class action (difficult due to distribution of victims)
2. Sue as individuals

I am guessing that based on the recent success of one of these cases, the second option would be attractive for many. And as far as that goes, they would still need to prove that they, as individuals, suffered to a level that requires compensation. So I view an apology as a good thing symbolically, but it really doesn't oblige the goverment anything. It remains to be seen whether this is a clever act of political opportunism or a genuine turning of the page for aborigines, and a step towards rectifying the social dislocation of many modern Aborigines as a result of these policies of child removal.

John U

MTB Precision

A great moment though.

Who was the last living PM? I can't seem to remember him.

mshagg

Likes Bikes
They'd have two options as I see it:

*shnippy*
This is consistent with legal commentators - the avenue to sue as an individual already exists, as demonstrated in South Australia in recent times. They dont expect this to change as a result of the apology.

Of course having said this, all it takes is the right lawyer on the right day in front of the right judge/bench of judges and things may change. As anyone knows, a lawyer can and will reach the conclusion he/she is being paid to reach.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Well done opposition leader? Yeah, right.

I just spoke to my girlfriend who works in an Aboriginal legal organisation, and the Aboriginal people at her work were universally disgusted with Nelson. Nelson just couldn't let go of redneck baggage that the Liberal party carries with it for just one day.

What a tosser (though not nearly as much as Wilson Tuckey and Sophie Mirrabella).

Rudd did a good job, however.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Nelson... what a frickin' idiot!

I don't begrudge him saying what he truly thinks, or what his party line is...

But there's a time and a place, for CRISSAKES!:rolleyes: Maybe say it about a week later or something... Why couldn't he have been just polite and go along with the mood of the day?

Instead, he really hurt the whole occasion. What a dick. :mad:

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Thumbs up to kevin, he did a fantastic job. It was an honest, heartfelt and genuine apology, and one done with graciousness. As he said, it's time that Australia got over trying to justify those past actions, and got over their pride.

Ironically however, Mr Nelson then took the stand and showed that he has done neither. He was afraid to "give up" anything, he kept his pride and still attempted to defend those actions in a way. He also seemed less genuine and honest than Kevin. It was funny that he used an example which involved someone who DIDN'T ask for an apology.

Thoughts?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If anyone comes across a link to Nelson's speech, please post it up. The SMH one won't play on my computer.

Cheers.