Training Log Wellsey's diet and training log.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just going to use this as a bit of accountability, and welcome all support, advice, criticisms, observations, flaming etc. I'll list my daily diet, training, general stuff. Will post the odd Garmin map and photo too.

Bit of general info about me -

30 y/o male

Married, two small boys

Work full time, 9 day fortnights, 0630-1530

Job entails sitting. All day. Either at desk or in a vehicle

178cm tall

No batteries in the scales, but I estimate about 125kg's. I'll update that with an accurate figure shortly

EDIT - Actual weight 117. Much better than I thought.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sleep - 2200-0500

Weight - 117

Breakfast

1 litre of water @ 0500
1 plunger coffee, two raw sugars, dribble of full cream milk
Brekky smoothie - 4 banana's, two green apples, half a punnet of blueberries, handful of chopped Iranian dates, small knob of fresh ginger.

Lunch - Salad w/tuna and nuts

Snacks - 6 apricots

Dinner - Slack one tonight, four bananas, 6 medjool dates and half a punnet of blueberries.

4 Litres of water throughout the day. Fell off the wagon and had one Stones alcoholic beer with a mate. Literally the last one.

Exercise - Fark all. Mowed and wippersnipped, loaded up two box trailers of rubbish to the tip. Moved 4 cubic metres of woodchip onto the gardens.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What are you trying to achieve?

Weight loss?
Muscle bulk?

Either way, I never go by weight anymore, it's a false sense of body state.

Measure your muscle (or fat ) mass and work from there.

Use physical measurements and photographs to track progress.

You can be 117kg with body fat @ 15% (athlete standard) or 117kg with a body fat @ 35%. Scales can't tell the difference.

As for diet, low GI all the way, no refined sugars, load of berries, low glucose fruits, high protein and low carbs.

Oh, hardest of all..... Stay off the beer.....

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, not too caught up in my actual weight (as evidenced, I didn't even know what I weighed), just want to get fitter and slimmer.

My waist is 42"/107cm, would like to be under 100kg and back to a 34" waist. I don't know what my body fat is, but I guarantee you it's high. Am going to see the GP to get some baselines done this week.

Biggest motivation is to look good for my wife. She's the same age as me, has had two kids, and has the same figure she had when we got together at 17. She's 175cm's and 55-60kg. Absolutely gorgeous. We used to be a great looking couple, then I dropped the ball. It's not like we are having issues or anything, it's more for my own self-esteem. When we go out, people look at me like "how did you score that?" (this might be in my head a little bit tho).

Also, my four year old starts soccer soon and I don't want to be the fat dad on the sidelines watching.

I don't have a problem eating healthy, I just need to make sure I take the time to prepare food and don't get caught out and end up taking quick/easy options.

I need to get consistent with my training and start increasing my intensities and add in more hills.

My regular night ride is a 30-40km road/bikepath loop on the commuter with an average speed 21-22kph, but it's dead flat. We do this two-three nights a week. I ride trails once-twice a week, about 10-15k's each loop. My climbing stamina is non-existent, which is a problem because my local trails are steep and techy. Am working on a new training schedule that I'll post soon.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Married, two small boys
Err, why did you marry two small boys? :p Sorry I couldn't resist.

Don't worry too much about intensity just yet, focus on volume. This will build decent base fitness and help you shed some excess fat. Once you've got a decent base then worry about intensity. It's a fairly tried and proven way of doing things, even elite athletes do blocks of high volume low intensity work to build a base early in the season. It's a tough on with kids and family but if you are commited to it you'll find ways to make it work.

One thing I've found that works for me is having a bike on a stationary trainer somewhere near a TV. Way I see it is that time you could be sitting on the couch could be spent spinning away, it's effectively free time.

And I keep harping on about it but go for a run, nothing spanks you better than running plus it takes 5 mins to get ready for a run. Good luck and good on ya for putting out here for the world to see. Subscribed to this thread.

gassyndrome

Likes Bikes
Good luck Wellsey. I think its important that you don't starve yourself, forgive yourself if you miss a session, be realistic and think long term sustainable lifestyle (e.g don't say that's the last beer you'll have - life still has to be enjoyable!).

I'm going to subscribe and see how you go!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Good luck Wellsey. I think its important that you don't starve yourself, forgive yourself if you miss a session, be realistic and think long term sustainable lifestyle (e.g don't say that's the last beer you'll have - life still has to be enjoyable!).

I'm going to subscribe and see how you go!
Great advice, if you go too strict you will fail! Be realistic and sensible.

Good luck!

Newton

Likes Dirt
This might help, I've used it in the past, great way to monitor you intake and record you weight loss ...

http://www.fatsecret.com.au/

and there is a theory that to maintain weight loss you shouldn't diet 7 days a week for month on end, you need to have a "rest" day in the week, where you eat something a little "naughty" without going overboard, it helps re-kick start things.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fell off the wagon a bit today.

Sleep 2200-0630 (sleep in, yay!)

Weighed in heavy this morning @ 119.2. Same scales, same place.

Brekky - standard smoothie, four banana's, three green apples, handful of dates, fresh ginger.

Lunch - Left it late and didn't eat until 1400. Had a tuna and mayonnaise sanger (fat free mayo and wheat bread, but still bad)

Dinner - Went to friends for tea, had three lamb chops, salad. Also had one rum and coke.

Snacks - 6 apricots, numerous dates.

Water - 4.5 litres.

Exercise - More yard work. Moved another few cube of mulch, cleaned out and re-arranged the garage. Took another load of rubbish to the tip.

Worth noting, the friends we saw for tea hadn't seen me in about 6 weeks, and reckon that they can notice I've lost weight. Nice to hear.

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't be to worried about that extra weight gain... it could simply be all that water your drinking.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sleep 2300-0500

Weight - 118.4

Brekky - Running late so no smoothie. Had 6 apricots and 6 dates, litre of water.

Smoko - Don't usually eat mid-morning, but because brekky was small I had a Coles asian salad at 10ish

Lunch - Just finished four rolls of salmon and avocado sushi with soy and wasabi. Sushi is healthy right?

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Do youself a favour, dont weigh in every day...........

Pick 1 day every week, any day, once its the same day and time each week.

Weighting in everyday is counter productive, you think your losing weight, then the next day its up again.
It can be very disheartening!

This can be caused by water retention amonst other things. Have the same routine the night before each weigh in so you can get as accurate a weigh in as possible.

Always use the same scales, on the same flooring, and in the same clothes (or naked if possible).

I have been in a similar situation, I was previously 99kg (i'm only 5'8") and wasnt looking after myself. When I hit 30, the missis threw me a surprise birthday bash. Over the next few days, I looked back on the photos with horror..... shocked at how i could let myself get so out of shape!

I've learned a good few tips and stratagies to help with weight loss and gaining fitness along the way.3 years ago and counting, and I'm now somewhere near where i want to be, not quite there but as with all weight loss and fitness, its about long term goals and being able to keep it off.

Its a lifestyle change thats needed, not a "diet". You need to adopt something thats sustainable, healthy eating, exercise and something that most will truggle with, staying motivated not to be lazy.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate, yes might ease up on weighing every day. Fluctuations don't bother me, I do it more as part of the morning routine. Will think about it.

I tend to use the average speeds on my regular rides as benchmarks.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just looking over what you've posted food intake wise, too much. way too much. whether it's healthy or junk the volume from what I can see is too high. you've got to think like a monk, you need monk discipline and decipher between need vs want. you simply don't need that many calories and if continue with that volume you can't possibly train your way out of it. eventually something will break. so work out how many calories per day you require, then you have to be disciplined enough to stick to it, not now but forever.

don't know your age but as you know if you don't knock it on the head then what's coming is a form of self-disabilia. sorry to sound a bit extreme but I work at a hospital and see the effects of poor lifestyle choices everyday (smoking, drinking, no exercise, poor diet). I think last year the statistic was that more people were in hospital for lifestyle related disease than disease not related to lifestyle.

if you can eat reasonably, you can train reasonably and the weight will naturally fall off, this will take 9 months.

good luck you can do it as you have the mountain bike hobby!!!

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
just looking over what you've posted food intake wise, too much. way too much. whether it's healthy or junk the volume from what I can see is too high.
Blanket statements like that aren't very helpful. I'm nearly 50kgs lighter than the OP and I eat far more than that just to maintain my bodyweight.

Volume largely isn't relevant (besides its impact on satiety), calories and macronutrients matter.

Last edited:

cressa

Likes Dirt
Blanket statements like that aren't very helpful. I'm nearly 50kgs lighter than the OP and I eat far more than that just to maintain my bodyweight.

Volume largely isn't relevant (besides its impact on satiety), calories and macronutrients matter.

I think his statement was pretty on the money. Calorie intake vs calorie output is the basic principle to healthy weight maintenance/loss. Agree that qty is irrelevant though (ie. big salad = low calories high qty. Dried fruit snacks = high calories low volume)

OP i think you have to do as was said. There are sights out there to get a bit of a guide what your daily intake should be. Our government has one too 8700.com.au

I think you need to watch your fruit intake. Fruit is sweet because it has plenty of sugar in it. Sugar is Carbs.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
OP - do you know what your daily macronutrient profile looks like? If not, get on calorieking.com.au or similar and track your intake for a week or two. Combine that with the harris-benedict equation and your weekly weigh-ins to get an idea of your maintenance calories.

After that, have a look at the AIS fact sheets to get an idea of the kind of macronutrient ratios you should be consuming. Their advice is evidence-based, rather than some of the bro-science you'll get here.

PM me if you'd like some links to information.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just btw wellsey, do some calorie counts - get an app to do it. Those breakfast smoothies would be massively calorie rich . Bananas are not for losing weight nor is dried fruit .

You have to run a deficit everyday- the deficit doesn't have to be big - I' d just keep a very accurate count on what you eat and then drop off 15% and maybe eat a little slower , and encourage some protein if you are getting hungry

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Hit me with some alternative breakfast suggestions. No dairy and nothing processed.

I'm not scared of calories from fruit. It's not exactly corn syrup. Carbs are fuel for my exercise no?

Also, all my fruit is fresh, nothing dried.

Thanks for all the advice re websites and counting, will be looking at everything.

Rode three reps of my 2km hill climb in 35 degree heat this afternoon. Getting faster much quicker than I thought.

Sleep was from 2300 - 0500, weighed in at 117.5 this morning (sorry, can't help doing it, part of the morning ritual)

Brekky was fruit again, $2 piece of watermelon, probably 3-400 grams? Snuck in a small skinny caramel latte too ( I know I said no dairy, but it doesn't count if it has coffee in it. BTW, I've cut down bought coffee to about two a week)

Lunch was big salad w/tuna. Just FYI, I don't dress my salads with anything - I'll do a complete ingredient list and post it.

Dinner, haven't eaten yet, but thinking brown rice and chicken. Steamed maybe?