Training Log Wellsey's diet and training log.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blanket statements like that aren't very helpful. I'm nearly 50kgs lighter than the OP and I eat far more than that just to maintain my bodyweight.

Volume largely isn't relevant (besides its impact on satiety), calories and macronutrients matter.
Here's what Wellsey had posted food wise in an earlier post (I have inserted kilojoules for each item/s).

Breakfast

1 litre of water @ 0500
1 plunger coffee ( Kilojoules 940 ), two raw sugars ( Kilojoules 192 ), dribble of full cream milk
Brekky smoothie - 4 banana's (1664), two green apples (882), half a punnet of blueberries ( Kilojoules 327 ), handful of chopped Iranian dates ( Kilojoules 107 ), small knob of fresh ginger.

Lunch - Salad w/tuna ( Kilojoules 889 ) and nuts ( Kilojoules 3402 )

Snacks - 6 apricots ( Kilojoules 385 )

Dinner - Slack one tonight, four bananas (1664), 6 medjool dates ( Kilojoules 642 ) and half a punnet of blueberries. ( Kilojoules 327 )

4 Litres of water throughout the day. Fell off the wagon and had one Stones alcoholic beer
( Kilojoules 570 ) with a mate. Literally the last one.

Exercise - Fark all. Mowed and wippersnipped, loaded up two box trailers of rubbish to the tip. Moved 4 cubic metres of woodchip onto the gardens.

total for day: 11991 KJs.

Using a Kilojoule Calculator (weight, height, age and life activity) he needs - 11972 kilojoules to maintain current weight.

To lose weight there needs to be a deficit, i.e. less than 11972 KJs per day. Now more activity will create the deficit, but the easiest way is to drop the KJ intake per day. Fruit is low GI, but full of sugar (fructose) which if unused will turn to fat at the least it's keeping his KJs up for the day.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, the last couple of days have been a write-off.

Wednesday - fruit for brekky, 6" ham sub on wheat w/all salads, no dressing no cheese for lunch. Dinner, had left over savoury mince in a wrap, toasted in sandwich press with olive oil cooking spray.

Thursday, woke up with gastro, presumably from left over mince. Had dry wholemeal toast for brekky @ 0530, threw that up about 0830. Spent my day in the office never more than 20 metres from the can. Ate nothing, not hungry even though I chucked my guts up half a dozen times. Drank heaps of water.

No sleep.

Today, dry toast again, kept it down. Green apple and half a banana @ about 1100, kept that down also. Got brave and had two poached eggs on baby spinach for dinner, pinch of pink sea salt and ground pepper. Feeling ok, guts is still rumbling. Heaps of water again today.

Weight today 115.8, thanks empty stomach, and probably a bit dehydrated also.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Dr Rudi............

Bowel movements have normalised thank god.

Yesterday -

Brekky - Fruit smoothy again, but smaller as per earlier advice. Two 'nana's, two green apples and a few dates. Bit of water to help consistency.

Lunch - Feeling hungry after morning ride, three poached eggs on baby spinach with a tomato and grated carrot.

Super tired after arvo ride, fell asleep without tea.

Exercise - Morning, two reps of hill climb, Arvo, 18 kms of singletrack and mowed the lawn.

Didn't weigh myself.

Today -

Brekky - one banana (big cavendish)

Lunch - Two wraps with baby spinach, tomato and tuna. No dressings or spreads.

Dinner - Fish burger on wheat bread. (Flathead patty)

Exercise - Short blat around Parklands, 6kms, just to try mates new bike.

Weighed in this morning @ 117 flat.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wellsey,
Having just had bub number 1, and being on an intensive office based project for 2 years, I was a bit behind the eight ball too.
I tend to agree with the eating too much, check out the portion perfection stuff, I've dropped about 8-10 kg with not much effort. With the exercise you are doing you should be too on the maintain diets, but you will need to work to get benefits, not necessarily in terms of loops but on the trails push the climbs a bit more.
My 2c, I'm an engineer, not a dietitian though.
Al..
PS weighing in at the same time of week only is a must.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Monday - 2 banana's for brekky, home made spinach and red cabbage salad for lunch w/tuna, kangaroo stirfry for tea. 2 reps hill climb. Sleep 2130-0500

Tuesday - 2 banana's for brekky, 2 x dragon fruit for lunch, 6 inch chicken teriyaki on wheat for dinner. 43km loop on the commuter. 35kph sou/easter. Sleep 2200-0500

Today - 2 banana's for brekky, 1 dragon fruit and home made salad for lunch. Will do a different salad for tea, maybe with steamed chicken. 2 reps hill climb.

Have lost a belt size, but still weigh 117. I'm assuming this is because I'm putting on mass through exercise. People are starting to comment which is nice.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sleep - 2200-0500

Brekky - Banana and a dragon fruit

Lunch - Watermelon

Dinner - 3 rolls of salmon and avocado sushi

Had half a small skinny latte too, but it was terrible so I didn't finish it.

Exercise - 3 laps of the Sunshine Plaza doing xmas shopping whilst fighting off hordes of the sweaty unwashed. Felt like a scene out of Gladiator.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate keep it up. breakfast can you include weetbix? High fibre, low GI, will help keep hunger under control.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Re weetbix - tried it this morning, get bad indigestion. I think I might be a bit lactose intolerant maybe? Does that give you heartburn?

Yesterday's eating -

Brekky, watermelon.

Lunch, one banana, one dragon fruit.

Dinner - Shat the bed big time with this one. Work Xmas party, ate about 5,000,000kg of prawns. Managed to stay away from anything cooked and also managed not to drink tho, so reasonably happy with that.

Exercise - Nil.

Today's intake -

Brekky - weetbix w/banana

Lunch - Wholemeal wrap w/tuna, baby spinach, tomato, wholegrain mustard

Dinner - Fat free (99% I think?) yoghurt w/ half a punnet of blueberries.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brekky - 3 weetbix w/ a banana

Lunch - ham and salad sanga, chicken and salad sanga

Dinner - 2 slices wholemeal toast w/avocado and cracked pepper

snacks -one dragon fruit and some dates. Had a plunger coffee w/2 raw sugars this morning also.

2 reps of hill climb. Haven't weighed myself for a while, but had to use a belt on my shorts today for the 1st time ever.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday -

Watermelon for brekky

Salad w/tuna for lunch

2 Banana's and a green apple for dinner. Had a skinny latte also. Dates and raisins for snacks. Heaps of water.

40km's night ride on the commuter.

Today -

Mango, banana, blueberry, pecan and ginger smoothie for brekky

6" Lemon and Herb chicken sub on wheat for lunch

Salad w/tuna and nuts for dinner. Dates and raisins for snacks.

No exercise. Worked late and took the wife and kids to look at xmas lights.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You are doing great. Really great. Keep it up. Don't stress any bad days and don't try and make them up. How were the lights?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Can you not eat dairy? Maybe try soy milk. Some of it is ok on cereal. I really don't think it's better for you though. But it may work for you.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah still working on the milk thing. Really need to get to the GP for some baselines and a going over.

Brekky - Watermelon again, god it's cheap, easy and tasty.

Lunch - Homemade salad w/tuna.

Dinner - 4 Weetbix with banana and honey. Lazy I know.

Exercise - Three reps of hill climb. Would have done another one, but fark me it was hot. Got a little dizzy. Weighed in after @ 115.5, but pretty sure I left 3kg of sweat on the bitumen.

Last edited:

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Here's what Wellsey had posted food wise in an earlier post (I have inserted kilojoules for each item/s).

Breakfast

1 litre of water @ 0500
1 plunger coffee ( Kilojoules 940 ), two raw sugars ( Kilojoules 192 ), dribble of full cream milk
Brekky smoothie - 4 banana's (1664), two green apples (882), half a punnet of blueberries ( Kilojoules 327 ), handful of chopped Iranian dates ( Kilojoules 107 ), small knob of fresh ginger.

Lunch - Salad w/tuna ( Kilojoules 889 ) and nuts ( Kilojoules 3402 )

Snacks - 6 apricots ( Kilojoules 385 )

Dinner - Slack one tonight, four bananas (1664), 6 medjool dates ( Kilojoules 642 ) and half a punnet of blueberries. ( Kilojoules 327 )

4 Litres of water throughout the day. Fell off the wagon and had one Stones alcoholic beer
( Kilojoules 570 ) with a mate. Literally the last one.

Exercise - Fark all. Mowed and wippersnipped, loaded up two box trailers of rubbish to the tip. Moved 4 cubic metres of woodchip onto the gardens.

total for day: 11991 KJs.

Using a Kilojoule Calculator (weight, height, age and life activity) he needs - 11972 kilojoules to maintain current weight.

To lose weight there needs to be a deficit, i.e. less than 11972 KJs per day. Now more activity will create the deficit, but the easiest way is to drop the KJ intake per day. Fruit is low GI, but full of sugar (fructose) which if unused will turn to fat at the least it's keeping his KJs up for the day.

^^ This. Doesnt matter if you are eating the right foods, if you are in calorie surplus they are going to stay.
Can I suggest the app My Fitness Pal.
You seem to be in a routine with your food which makes it easy, but the critical thing is knowing how much you should eat, and how many calories (or Kjs) you have remaining for the day. Once you go over that limit for your age/weight there is no weight loss that day, just gain.
This app helps you track your intake, tells you how many you have left, and at the end of the day will tell you "if you ate like that every day, your weight will be xxkg in 5 weeks" This is really important otherwise you may think you are doing the right thing but just end up depressed because you work so hard yet dont see change.

FYI you seem to eat a fair bit of avocado, its a good food but very high in calories.. On the above numbers from MTB you have a pretty generous allowance of 2600cal to maintain your weight. If you set yourself a target of say 2000cal or less a day there is no way you can gain weight.
Being able to see whats in the food as you eat it is a big plus.

Spend 30 mins to add up what you eat in a day and where you end up.

just my2c, but great to see you sticking to it

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
In not sure if this happens to others, but I find when I start doing more riding I put on about 2kg. If I do a big ride or a few rides on hot days I will put on about 2 kg over the next couple of days. I think my body absorbs a lot of fluid after a ride and then sheds it after about 3 or 4 days. I seem to piss a lot on about the third or forth day after a ride and can drop about 3kg in weight.
Does this happen to others?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been slack with the log over the last week; have had a few drama's.

Have managed to stick to a pretty clean diet however, keeping it mostly all veg apart from the odd egg and bit of milk here and there. Still off the booze also.

Fell off the wagon a bit today and had some turkey. Fatty as a bacon train crashing into a butter factory, but tasty.

Have kept up the riding, only missed yesterday, other than that have managed to at least do a couple of reps up the hill every day, along with some good trail rides and three 40-50k night loops also.

Haven't weighed myself for ages, will get back on the wagon with the daily updates as of tomorrow.