Wet Ridding

koe/extreme dh

Likes Dirt
Hi Rotorborn!
I seem to really struggle riding in the wet, and if by some chance their is a race in the wet its would be really bad to not know how to ride in the wet!
Can you guys give me some tips how to ride in the wet?
Cheers Koe

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Lower your tire pressure.
2. Keep your weight central.
3. use your front brake to slow down.
4. use your rear brake to turn.
5. dab your inside foot on corners for extra safety.

Also look at what tires you are using.
Are they a soft compound?
Are they 2.3-2.5-or 2.7" wide?
What condition are they designed to perform at the best?

If you let us know we can probably tell you...

Dug

Likes Dirt
Dude your psycing your self out I still do to some extent. Get out and ride in the wet with a wet setup, lower tyre pressure softer suspension.. You don't generally get a lot of wet practice. So get out there when it is and like everything else you will improve with practice....

Sam.

Eats Squid
(05:41:33) - christian says: Bahahaha first he needs to learn how to ride when its dry.

Koe, time yourself in the wet. Although you feel a lot more sluggish, you will probably find that you might only be 10 seconds slower compared to in the dry.

Don't think about it being wet, just ride how you normally would. I find if I worry about sliding around, I will. When I ride normally everything is ok. I try to keep my weight centred more than I normally would, just to minimise the chance of sliding out.

Last edited:

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
I just find little things like taking your foot off in a corner and not trying anything fancy and just try to stay in control all of these work for me and the best way to work on it is riding in the wet so next time it rains get out there and do a few runs. Good luck with it!

curtisb

Likes Dirt
the only real way of knowing how to ride fast in the rain is to get practice and see what works for u, so get out there when its pissing down, get dirty and have some fun

the way i see it is if u can ride fast in the wet u can ride faster in the dry
good luck

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
was jsut thinking this on the tracks today i found running low pressure and firmer suspension the ground is soft enough in the wet so no need for the softer suspension. really use your front brake to slow down you rear brake just slides out really good for helping you turn in the tight corners really try and whip your bike out and it should slid around nice... my 2 cents

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
Stuff lowering your tyre pressures! Just have fun, you slide more when they are pumped up! just use safety foot! haha!!

James

floody

Wheel size expert
Ride loose on the bike, let it work for you. Fight and force the bike and you will end up arsesliding down the track. You may need to be somewhat aggressive in weighting the front end however.

Don't be afraid to back it into corners, a sliding rear end often prevents a washed out front.

Use terrain contours to control momentum, brake early and with less force.

Look for 'loamy' lines, slick or sloppy ones won't hook you up. Don't be a sheep. Puddles look bad but are often very firm underneath. Sparse grassed surfaces are a great secret weapon.

Hit rocks, roots and built terrain features square on to reduce the chances of washing out.

Otherwise, go with the flow.

[rant]
As for racing, in their infinite wisdom the ruling bodies down here in Australia shifted the bulk of state and national series to a summer format in the closing days of the 1990s, so that a handful of pros - who these days probably won't actually race those series - could attend, as the world cup/championships tends to be in the northern spring/summer/autumn, or our autumn/winter/spring.
Thus these days, its rare to have a race above club level in what I would consider 'mud' at all, which is a crying shame.
Then again, a few muddy races and most of the popular virtual pivot bikes with their overcomplicated hardware and miniscule pivots would damn near disintegrate anyway.

[/rant]

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
keep low and loose.

try and get plent of weight onto your front wheel.
it will feel like it will make it slide easier but it will dig in better.
avoind skidding, often in roots and such it can be better not to brake at all and roll over it cos once you start braking your tires just slide.

and put some reallly big knobbys on if its really muddy.

but have fun in the wet, and enjoy the fact that mums wash clothes, not you.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
[rant]
Thus these days, its rare to have a race above club level in what I would consider 'mud' at all, which is a crying shame.

[/rant]
never raced a NSW state round have you Floody....

I think 06 struggled to get a single dry round. And a few races over the last couple of years have been lucky not to get called off ... :D

NSWMTB doing it's best for drought relief

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt

I think 06 struggled to get a single dry round. And a few races over the last couple of years have been lucky not to get called off ... :D

Some of my most fun race's were those wet state rounds. It seems the harder it gets to stay on , the bigger the smiles.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
What i normally do is pretend that im riding in the dry. That seems to help. Do not skid
I normally stay in ruts
The best place to practice wet weather riding is the Holy Track at Mt Keira because that track gets super slippery.

floody

Wheel size expert

Fair enough. I'm talking in general terms; its not like the 90s when most state series, the nationals etc all ran through the middle of the year (and the country as a whole was getting more rain), thats all.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The tires are medium compound
And both minion DHF's
And they are desinged for dry conditions
Perfect! Minions are a great tire under the right feet. Work with pressures like I said mate, start off with around 27PSI and go up or down on that figure.