What are my options besides commencal?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last, alutech, lemonade, foes, rose, musing, empire. Transition alloy patrols and scouts, patrol probably have something. I had a few Dartmoor wishes and had no issues over the last few years. Sanctions are dirt cheap from Monza..radon would be the other one.
How cheap and do you need to contact them directly? I don’t tend to see many GTs on special.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Eightyonespices (the Australian distributor) have some superseded Liteville 301 frames left:

http://www.eightyonespices.com.au/shop-c7u9

Only a small and a medium left, but leaves a healthy $2.5k over for the build.
If you get those I9 wheels in the for sale section here with one of those Litevilles with a new XT group that will come in under the 4k mark and would be a killer bike.

Edit, I9's are boost hubs(probably convertible though), get the Hope Pro 2s instead.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
If your lbs isn't doing 30 percent off the GT sanction, it's on a good sale to them. I checked and there's a few left across sizes. Friend is selling his too.

Scout frame on clearance with Rod at supersports, hella good service too. Alutech are on clearance 699euro, last are fortune but win every shootout they enter. Rose also on sale, shippings a prick. YT and canyon both have clearance pages available too at the moment..

Casey at Ascension will have Dartmoor blackbirds on sale too I'd suspect. Took over my role as DM distributor. DM were great with anything warranty related. 4 frames out of quiet a decent number in 6 years and all replaced, ever after the period.

Last edited:

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I looked through all the recommendations in this thread and compared them to the benchmark set by the commencal meta am 29 essential which is my top pick for $4299 + $99 shipping.

Commencal stats: 160/170mm R/F Travel.
XL sizing: reach 480mm, stack 638mm, HTA 65.5, STA 76.5
Has very decent spec for its price.

Last - Too expensive, STA too slack.
Alutech - too expensive
Lemonade by lost bikes - too expensive, not available. Hella interesting geomtery tho, 79 degree seat angle, nice.
Foes - not progressive, frame only.
rose - makes carbon bikes
musing - makes carbon bikes
empire - XL is only 460mm reach, STA too slack 73. Too expensive, not progressive enough.
Craftworks - Reach on L is only 445, build spec worse than commencal for more money.
Liteville - Too expensive, Seat tube able a little slack at 74 on the 601
Banshee - I love Banshee, my first bike was a Banshee. But the commencal just beats em on price and has a much steeper STA.

The bike that comes the closest is Bird's AM9 - Reach 475 (in a medium!! 500 in the L), Stack 623, HTA 65, STA 75.5.
Price is comparable, but once you customize a similar build with a dropper post and GST its more speno. Travel is 150/150 so a lil less than the commencal.

I think the commencal meta 29 is still firmly at the top of my list.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Once I sell my vitus and banshee. I may pull the trigger on the commencal before then but i'm running outta space.

we'll see if they have a boxing day sale.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Totally support your stand against carbon frames. I wouldnt buy one either.
At least aluminum is totally recyclable.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep. My oldies get sent to the scrappy. Steel frames too.
Typically frames that get sent to the tip from council cleanup are put aside. The intact ones are often recycled into bikes for charities, the busted ones go to the scrap metal recyclers. Busted carbon frames go to landfill but given they are a carbon store and they crumple up nice and compact its not so bad.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I looked through all the recommendations in this thread and compared them to the benchmark set by the commencal meta am 29 essential which is my top pick for $4299 + $99 shipping.

Commencal stats: 160/170mm R/F Travel.
XL sizing: reach 480mm, stack 638mm, HTA 65.5, STA 76.5
Has very decent spec for its price.

Last - Too expensive, STA too slack.
Alutech - too expensive
Lemonade by lost bikes - too expensive, not available. Hella interesting geomtery tho, 79 degree seat angle, nice.
Foes - not progressive, frame only.
rose - makes carbon bikes
musing - makes carbon bikes
empire - XL is only 460mm reach, STA too slack 73. Too expensive, not progressive enough.
Craftworks - Reach on L is only 445, build spec worse than commencal for more money.
Liteville - Too expensive, Seat tube able a little slack at 74 on the 601
Banshee - I love Banshee, my first bike was a Banshee. But the commencal just beats em on price and has a much steeper STA.

The bike that comes the closest is Bird's AM9 - Reach 475 (in a medium!! 500 in the L), Stack 623, HTA 65, STA 75.5.
Price is comparable, but once you customize a similar build with a dropper post and GST its more speno. Travel is 150/150 so a lil less than the commencal.

I think the commencal meta 29 is still firmly at the top of my list.
Good luck keeping the wheels in one piece though if you get the model with the 28h e-thirteens.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Good luck keeping the wheels in one piece though if you get the model with the 28h e-thirteens.
I run nukeproof horizon 28h wheels on my current 27.5 enduro and they have been the best wheels ive ever used. All other wheels have been 32h, but these nukeproof have been just has stiff and perfectly true since purchase.
But the model i'm buying has 32h.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I run nukeproof horizon 28h wheels on my current 27.5 enduro and they have been the best wheels ive ever used. All other wheels have been 32h, but these nukeproof have been just has stiff and perfectly true since purchase.
But the model i'm buying has 32h.
I personally don't see the point in selling a bike that's inclined to be used on gravity trails with XC wheels. The feed back I've heard from those exact e 13 wheelsets has been bad, snapping spokes and needing to be trued after almost ever ride which pretty much has been my personally experience with other 28h wheelsets that I've tried in the past and that's not mentioning the amount flex you feel through the corners. I would definitely go the 32h hole wheels but what ever rocks your boat.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's a few brands putting out 28h wheels for freeride/dh. No idea if they work or not, but they exist even though 28h is not traditionally their realm.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's a few brands putting out 28h wheels for freeride/dh. No idea if they work or not, but they exist even though 28h is not traditionally their realm.
I wonder what the expected service life is of an average sized adult on 28h DH or FR rims. The TRS e-thirteen is the bottom of their range for enduro use, they're nothing special no rim eyelets. Considering the bike is a 170/160 travel it's more of a DH oriented type of bike.