What are people rocking " Hydro pack and parts or Co2 and bottle "

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im keen to get into the the bottle mount and small seat bag Co2 thing instead of the the hydro pack and parts .
What is the largest frame mounted water bottle available ? and Do you use less water if you dont have a hydro pack over heating you on ride .
Being a DH and trail rider i like not having a bag on my back while riding and the idea of a seat bag and Co 2 cart and frame bottle is really appealing but i worry i might run out of water .
Just curious ? , what are you using .

Ivan

Eats Squid
I use a 710ml Camelbk Podium bottle and a Saddlebag for short rides (1hr) or a pack for longer rides.

I am tempted to try the Specialized SWAT shorts with the bottle pouch so I could carry two bottles for 2 hr rides.

I used a hydration pack for a long time before ever trying bottles, but since trying it I like not having anything on my back.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a 710ml Camelbk Podium bottle and a Saddlebag for short rides (1hr) or a pack for longer rides.

I am tempted to try the Specialized SWAT shorts with the bottle pouch so I could carry two bottles for 2 hr rides.

I used a hydration pack for a long time before ever trying bottles, but since trying it I like not having anything on my back.
Hi Ivan , thanks for the reply . Being new to the trail / AM thing im well keen to find a solution to no Hydro . Sounds like a cool idea .

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I used to have the worst of both worlds, I carried a bottle on my back in a bag....., because I'm a tight arse and refused to shell out for a new bladder.

Copped one on a sale recently, back on the hydro pack. I sweat like a pig but rarely need to drink whilst riding (due to being conditioned after carrying a bottle in a bag and not wanting to stop for a drink), unless it's really hot.

I weight the bag with a few extra kilos when I'm trying to convince myself that I'm an hard c*nt.

poita

Likes Dirt
I used bottle to start with, had two cages. Despite swapping cages and bottles, I often had bottles falling out on more technical sections. Plus running out of water after 2 hours. No trouble carrying enough spares in a saddle bag. Using a camelbak now, I just bought a small one so I didn't fill it up with crap. Would like to try a horizontally mounted bladder, but will have to wait till I can afford it...

teK--

Eats Squid
Hydro pack serves 3 purposes for me. It holds water obviously, tools/phone/keys which won't or shouldn't be put into pockets, and acts as a back protector for mild falls and bumps. Having a bottle or whatnot in pockets etc can't be pleasant to fall onto, and having saddlebags etc attached to the bike just looks untidy IMHO.

I have a smaller 2L pack for short rides around the local trails and a 3L larger one which carries more gear for all day epics.

On the MTB I try to keep the unsprung weight (bike) as low as possible and keep the weight on the rider. Other way around on the roadie.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

F me. I just looked up the swat shorts ... What's the different to just using a jersey pockets ? A bottle in the jersey pocket goes sweet on longer rides. I much prefer bottles to camelback on any ride (Qld climate).

Ivan

Eats Squid
F me. I just looked up the swat shorts ... What's the different to just using a jersey pockets ? A bottle in the jersey pocket goes sweet on longer rides. I much prefer bottles to camelback on any ride (Qld climate).
Dunno?

I don't wear jerseys, and I was thinking the shorts would be more secure I.e less bouncing.

Knuckles, I would like to purchase the service you are facilitating. Will you accept union credit cards?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Knuckles, I would like to purchase the service you are facilitating. Will you accept union credit cards?
Union credit cards are acceptable, however there is a 15% surcharge for doctored invoices.

I am also yet to find a solution for the bouncing problem.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mostly used a camelbak mule 3L when I used to do more offroad riding. These days mainly commuting to work I've gone to a bottle in a cage (one of those insulated looking ones). This works well if I don't need to take other stuff to work and I generally take my bottle off the bike to drink while working as well.
I think I would probably run out of water if I was on a longer offroad ride and it would probably fall out and off the bike....well this was why I went to camelbak when I first started riding a lot of mtb. Likewise I did like the idea of back protection. Also I've found it's not as sweaty wearing the mule compared to a normal backpack. But yeah if you've always worn a pack on your back it's an amazing feeling riding without one for a change!

I think if I'm going to carry a pack the mule (or something similar size) is ideal as you can fit some tools and stuff in there but not too much, 3L is a good water capacity...don't have to fill it right up for the shorter rides!

Overall if I had to choose I'd probably still choose Mule. Hmmm any difference having weight on person vs weight on bike?

Much of a muchness in the end, probably good to have a few options up your sleeve anyway depending on the type or riding you're planning for the day.

scblack

Leucocholic
Union credit cards are acceptable, however there is a 15% surcharge for doctored invoices.

I am also yet to find a solution for the bouncing problem.
The bouncing is necessary, due to mum eating a chocolate before the ride. Then the passenger gets a chocolate milkshake.

Kano555

Squid
Camelbak charge 2L of water, multitool, pump, tube, phone and wallet.

Extra bottle of water or gatorade on the bike.

Tried the saddle bag but didn't like that it swayed all over the place even when fully loaded and tightened up, so it was ditched.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Saddle bags are so 2000, but they work well as long as it's full - include rag etc to keep things from jiggling about ( why is jiggling on my brain?)

Also use bottles - 2 cages, but you must get a good cage and bottle match so they don't bounce out - eg camelback podiums fit most cages tightly arundel sideloader and podiums - no drops, ever.

I think in winter a camelback is more of a goer - the heat on your back is not such a problem.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Hydropack with multi tool, spare tube, pump, keys, etc.

Hate having crap in pockets when I ride, not a fan of saddle packs, and bottles just don't last for me.

Qld climate, I sweat like a pig but having to wear long shirt/pants for work even through summer the hydropack doesn't worry me.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I have the camelbak agent for trail riding or big rides and camelbak asset for shorter, more DH style rides. Love them both. Nice low profile

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Ten or 15 year old hydration pack(can't recall brand), with bladder long ago tossed and replaced with one or two flat Aero Water bottles roadies use. BPA free and water tasting.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Used to be a Camelback Podium bottle in the jersey pocket, along with tube and CO2 canister, and multitool.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Depending on weather, how long of a ride i'm going out on and which bike I take dictates the combo of gear I take.

Camelbak Mule 3L - For longer rides 4hr+.
Camelbak Rogue 2L - For shorter rides or riding the dual suspension that only has one water bottle cage.
2x 750ml bottles on the hardtail for up to 2hours of riding.
Always at least one bottle of water with electrolytes regardless of distance.
Food is easily carried in jersey pockets.

I use Backcountry Research race straps for air, tube, leavers and a TUL/FON bag for tools, phone and what not. These bags are great for stopping things bouncing out of your jersey pockets on rough terrain. http://www.backcountryresearch.com/