What are the most powerfull downhill brakes?

rone

Eats Squid
Alligator 8 piston is teh bestest. They are 4 times more awesome than normal brakes.tehbestest.JPG

A bit heavy, though.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's easy, the most powerful brakes are whatever ones this dude is reefing on......

Shredden

Knows his goats
aw come on! we all know hayes HFX-9's were and are by far the best. :p
No shit, I went through 6 of those in 2 months, before I realised that there are brakes out there that actually work (coughavid)

Just kept getting them out of the old brakes box at work, has put me off hayes forever haha

driftking

Wheel size expert
There is a picture floating around of what I think is a karpiel using a dual alligator brake system up front....yes 16pistons and 2 discs of stoping power. Maybe someone else can find it.

If this is a serious question about getting a set of brakes you cannot just look at power you need to consider modulation,reliablilty and ease of use. Keep in mind for lighter riders there can be such thing as too strong a brake.

Iv alwasy liked avid and just brough myself a pair of codes. I am yet to ride them so cannot comment on them yet but they sound like a promising brake set.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to use the 6 piston Navigators for downhill/freeride. These things were a big blunt instrument, heavy and powerful but little modulation and wooden feel. That said they were the only brake I have ever used that didn't fade when they got really hot, and pulling up 130kg of me and bike they did so frequently. There's my 2c.

pott

Likes Bikes
just bought a new rig with saints. Rode it a few times, ripped the saints off and put on my old 2011 codes. Then i thought i would give the saints a run on my xc bike. So i took off the elixer 5's and put the saints on. Still no good though. the saints are in the bin!