What are the most underrated and most overrated things in mountain biking?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It can be from any era, I'll go.

Underrated: Hardtails. Yep, we've all had one and earned our stripes on one but seriously, getting a good hardtail to not just hone your skills but to ride one to the limit is so damn rewarding.

Overrated: Watching XC racing, especially the Olympics. It's more boring than a road race.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll counter that last point about watching XC racing. You just gotta get the right race, much like a road race. Watch any round from the female XCO series this year, especially the last round. All awesome. The males were a snoozefest though.

moorey

call me Mia
Overrated.
Boost.
Pressfit.
Big wheels.
Pivots.
Lycra.
35mm bars.
Long chainstays.
64mm or slacker HA on trail bikes.
TDF
Added: carbon, fat bikes, plus tyres.

Underrated.
Added: Aluminium wheels and frames.
I’ll think on that more.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Over:
Carbon frames
Boost where the spoke width at tge hub isnt changed
Pressfit BB
Marketing BS about rear brake/suspension (Trek)
Tubeless
My opinion

Under
Just about every mainstream bike

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
This is going to be great.

Underrated- alloy versions of carbon bikes.

Also, Giants Trail bikes.

Overrated - Fucking yetis man.
Just cos your Chinese made superbike comes in turquoise does not make it better than any of the others. (even a giant.)

Also wide carbon rims. Neither the downhill or enduro overall winners are running them, yet punters are still happy to shell out 1500 for a set of the carbonz. Buy some alloy wheels and spend the rest on some cornering lessons with a pro.

Flow-Rider

Burner
\

Also wide carbon rims. Neither the downhill or enduro overall winners are running them, yet punters are still happy to shell out 1500 for a set of the carbonz. Buy some alloy wheels and spend the rest on some cornering lessons with a pro.
Shoosh will ya, let them buy the big heavy wide rims so that I can be faster than them.

moorey

call me Mia
Under rated: External cable routing. I don't know why you left us, but I want you back.
Over rated: Internal Cable routing, especially the tubes in tubes style when your run brakes moto.
YES! Cuss your internal routing other than dropper.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Also overrated: elephant in the room...ebikes.
Overrated is also

E-bike retailers telling the MTB community that projected sales will rule the mountain bike world, when the reality is that China is the biggest customer and that they are used as a green alternative to commuting and not MTBing.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Very like.

Also overrated: elephant in the room...ebikes.
We have a seperate section for that kinda talk mate

Over rated.
Bike parks. The amount of “world class trails” that get advertised, then you turn up and it’s just glorified xc tracks. That’s not “world class” bikepark. Thats xc trails

Under rated.
riding new trails for the first time. Getting lost out middle of bumfuck nowhere makes for some memorable days, and riding trails blind and managing to find flow is one of the best feelings out.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll counter that last point about watching XC racing. You just gotta get the right race, much like a road race. Watch any round from the female XCO series this year, especially the last round. All awesome. The males were a snoozefest though.
Couldn't agree more. Watching Nino cane everyone, every round for the last 3 seasons almost has become akin to watching Michael Schumacher in F1: boring and predictable...

The women's rounds were always more exciting and varied.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over rated.
Knock block
Proprietary bits on bikes
Carbon wheels (I've still got some)
Light carbon frames (too frail)
Plus tyres
Short chainstays (for tall people)
Low stack (same reason)
Cushcore (at RRP)
X % extra stiffness.