What are the most underrated and most overrated things in mountain biking?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Underrated.
Bikes with 71 degree head angle on mega tight twisty single track. It's where they shine. It's super cool. Jump off your "do it all" 66.5 HA endurobro bike and find the XC bike. Ride the same single track. Try to tell me that's not a buzz.
Exactly the same but on a 4X style bike. Stand up and get sprinty, sooooooo much fun! Short bursts, but still stupid fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Exactly the same but on a 4X style bike. Stand up and get sprinty, sooooooo much fun! Short bursts, but still stupid fun.
"but the jump is too close to the berm..." maybe. If you ride like a tractor driver! Tap brakes, shift up 1, rail the berm, 4 pedal strokes, send it! Then send the next jump. It's a sweet little bit of trail.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Underrated - the satisfaction of passing an e-biker on the commute home aboard an old steel hardtail. Even sweeter than passing big $ carbon fibre roadies.
I take pride in smashing them on the climbs on my dualie. I was chasing one down the other day (on a flat section mind you) and topped out the 1x10, which put them at way over 25kph, in a suit and barely trying. 45km/h the GPS told me, averaged out at 41km/h for the minute I was on their tail at the end of which they just pulled away.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Underrated: quality bushings (looking at you knolly!)

Overrated: grease ports on mtbs.

Edit: also overrated, resin. Sticky bullshit that gets everywhere and is a right pain in the arse to get off. Not necessarily related to mtb, but still.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Edit: also overrated, resin. Sticky bullshit that gets everywhere and is a right pain in the arse to get off.
I didn't mind a bit of resin a couple of decades ago. The stickier the better if I recall correctly...

Underrated: Hand-built trail - nothing like the enjoyment of riding on something you've just created that's had minimal impact on the bush.

Overrated: MTB marketing - horseshit spin that makes something sound revolutionary or innovative when it isn't.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I didn't mind a bit of resin a couple of decades ago. The stickier the better if I recall correctly...

Underrated: Hand-built trail - nothing like the enjoyment of riding on something you've just created that's had minimal impact on the bush.

Overrated: MTB marketing - horseshit spin that makes something sound revolutionary or innovative when it isn't.
the new and improved boost resin is 17% stiffer

no wait..

its 17% increase in stiffness allows better directionality

no wait..

oh never mind

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Underrated: quality bushings (looking at you knolly!)

Overrated: grease ports on mtbs.

Edit: also overrated, resin. Sticky bullshit that gets everywhere and is a right pain in the arse to get off. Not necessarily related to mtb, but still.
I can tell you never owned an allot Turner. Grease ports and IGUS bushings are a match made in heaven.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Underrated:
Single Speed
Quality hand built wheels (Alloy or Carbon rims)
ESI grips
620mm wide bars

Overrated:
E-Bikes
Boost
Gears